Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CTO
A note on WDHs, a WDH distributes the vehicle and trailer weight (on the axles) evenly across all the axles, TV and trailer,, so you are also taking weight from the JT and adding it to the trailer. If the trailer axle weight is less than the JT axle weight, you will be adding weight to the trailer‘s axle. A WDH is designed for larger trailers to even its weight out on the TA front and rear axles. Not sure I would use one on a trailer under 4,000 lbs max rating on the JT. If your trailer loaded close to its 3,500 lbs axle rating and you add a WDH on the JT or larger truck, you could over load the trailer axle. My 3600-3800 lbs TaB 400 tows just fine without a WDH.
cheers
We use our Equal-I-Zer weight distribution unit because it is also an fantastic anti-sway unit. We use it because of the huge difference it makes in handling, especially with high side-winds and large trucks passing. Stops sway dead and bounce. The weight distribution also keeps the front wheels down on the ground with full force. Without the WDU the tongue weight tends to force the front wheels to unload and the nose of the vehicle to rise up. You can see it in the R-pod picture I posted. That's why I mentioned that the unit had not been set up when the photo was taken. But it does clearly show how the trailer lifts the nose and reduces front wheel traction. The comment about the tongue weight reducing the available car load is absolutely correct and can be a real problem if your load is close to capacity. I'm a big guy, we have two dogs etc. with the full 350 lbs tongue weight used by the RPod on the Wrangler, we could not have guests in the back seat. Hence the move up to a Gladiator. I would use a WDU/anti-sway on a 2000 pound load specifically because of the VERY improved handling. The CURT Echo brake controller also makes the whole set-up unbelievably easy. Especially for beginners. No wiring, no complicated setup, goes with you when you change cars. We always test new rig stuff locally by test camping at a local KOA or Sams and driving a self made obstacle course at a local Walmart. Hope this helps, have fun.
Sponsored

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
Yes, a combo anti-sway and WDH can improve performance, if everything is balanced accordingl. I found the 400 lb tongue weight of the YaB400 did push the back of the Gladiator down a bit more than I liked, but the max-tow springs and shocks corrected that, so the trai,r and JT are level. Good luck, and have fun.
cheers

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN
One additional thing about brake controllers - towing in mountains sometimes the trailer "pushes" and attempts to overtake the vehicle. This can lead to more and more sway. You can often engage the trailer brakes alone to stop the action with a touch of a button making it safer to then apply the vehicle brake or downshift.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
One additional thing about brake controllers - towing in mountains sometimes the trailer "pushes" and attempts to overtake the vehicle. This can lead to more and more sway. You can often engage the trailer brakes alone to stop the action with a touch of a button making it safer to then apply the vehicle brake or downshift.
The infamous tail wagging the dog. The ability to dial in a little drag on the trailer can sort that out pretty quick. Perhaps my favorite feeling is when the trailer starts pushing and in that unloaded moment when you goose the throttle to straighten it out and the trailer starts to wag... then shove then wag... a little trailer brake drag sorts it out quick and smooth.
Sponsored