Sponsored

Debating on a new Gladiator and have some questions

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Never owned a Jeep. Live in Ny. Have one car because never needed a second.

Now wife and I have a kid and we are running into scenarios of needing a second vehicle. I want something to take Off-road and camping. Tacoma steering felt cheap IMO, I test drove a rubicon gladiator and a LR defender. Defender was comfortable but I like the versatility of the Jeep for getting mulch and stuff.

A rubicon seems like it’s got all I would need. Would it even make sense to look at overland and add the shocks/suspension/lift? Would I save money doing that?

also, there’s a ton of gladiators near me for sale, two dealers I know locally have a combined 31. And with 2023 coming out, how much can we shoot for On discount? One rubi I’m looking at is $58. $55 seem plausible?
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you plan on off roading and using the lockers a rubi may be spending extra $ on stuff you dont wont / need.

Its an expensive vehicle so trying to loointo the future a bit would benefit you.

Do you intend to tow?
do you intend to run sand dunes?
do you want the most high end feeling ride?
do you intend to strip it bare and build a crawler? (mall crawler or otherwise)
Do you demand a manual? Or automatic?
gas or diesel?

I honestly think a well equipped sport will serve most everyones needs without the added markup of a rubi.

if you intend to tow a camper at all id suggest the rubi or a sport s w/ max tow so you get the best tow/cargo combo there is in the lineup.

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Do you intend to tow? No
do you intend to run sand dunes? No
do you want the most high end feeling ride? Like comfort or just to ride around saying I have money?
do you intend to strip it bare and build a crawler? (mall crawler or otherwise) no
Do you demand a manual? Or automatic? Automatic
gas or diesel? Gas

I honestly think a well equipped sport will serve most everyones needs without the added markup of a rubi.

I Want the nice LED headlights and that lift the rubi has. I would like some extra capability for when we eventually do long overland trips. What model/set up would you suggest? I did do some due diligence and called around to see prices on installing shocks/suspense/lift. Was quoted at $2300 for parts/labor to have installed on an Overland.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I’m partial to the sport S with max tow. But that’s because I pull a camper and my off-road and consists of driving on and off the beach for surf fishing.

if you’re going to put an aftermarket lift (even mopar) on it anyway I think you’re wasting money buying a Rubicon. You can get a sport S max tow that comes with the same 4:10 gear ratio and wide axles as the rubi without paying the extra money for the lockers.

And considering a new model year is coming out you may even be able to get the dealer to include LED lights with the purchase of your gladiator. They were just have to install them when they come in which is a no-brainer for a guy in a home garage to do, so the dealership would have no issue doing that.

everyone on this forum is of course going to be very partial to one particular model or another.

it will just boil down to which one you really like the most and feel like you get the most bang for your buck with.

Sponsored

mdyucca

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
You are correct. The Gladiator is good do most things vehicle. Good grocery getter, good moving kids where they need to go, tops off Summer convertible all this with with the capabilities of a 4X4 light duty truck.
IMO the best model to buy is the Rubicon. Also, get the LED light package, tow package and aux switches. If you look at this Forum a lot of people strive to make non Rubicon models as capable as the Rubicon, after market LED lights are big among many as are after market or add on factory aux switches. You will save time and money ordering these options with the Jeep. Also, should you decide to sale down the road Rubicons hold value better and are more sought after in the used Jeep market. Others will disagree with some of what I have said but each to thier own. This is my observation in Jeep ownership. Two last things: the Gladiator does not have tow/haul capabilities of a full size truck also the Gladiator not known for fuel economy.

OP
OP
Blitzinger

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
if you’re going to put an aftermarket lift (even mopar) on it anyway I think you’re wasting money buying a Rubicon. I meant I inquired as to how much it would be to order same set up as rubicon as far as lift and fox shocks and they said $2300 for parts and install For the overland model, not that i would be getting aftermarket parts in addition to a rubicon. That may have been a bit confusing.

I’m 5’3 so the lift the rubi has is about my peak without needing a running start to hop in

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I like my JTR. The way I’d put it though…not sure that it’s worth it if you’re planning on doing the lift, bigger tires, regear, etc. thing.

In my case (happy with the stock height/stance of the JTR) it made sense. That being said, even if you go for the Rubicon or Mojave…if you’re already remotely interested in mods…I recommend setting some money aside for tires, as the stock 285’s don’t look particularly impressive with the JT’s land yacht proportions.

I had a similar take on the Tacoma (wasn’t impressed) and the 4Runner wouldn’t have worked for me. Once I drove a base Sport JT (all I could find locally), I was sold.

On prices…shop around and don’t be afraid to go a ways to find one (I drove about two hours to get mine). Locally, the dealers wouldn’t even talk prices unless you came in, sat down, and played their stupid f**k f**k games.

I found a dealer that did $3K off ($55k MSRP down to $52K) so I just took it. That was via the Costco vehicle purchase program and was a hassle free purchase. Yeah…nothing really to write home about, but when folks were talking about MSRP plus market adjustments and dealer installed crap, I’ll take it. Supposedly JT sale volumes are cooling down. Might be a good time to score a deal.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
All gladiators are very good off-road, so if you don't need the lockers, low range transfer case, or 4.1 ratio, any gladiator will do what you need, with just some ATs.

The Rubicon is nice, but what kind of off-roader do you plan on being? It depends. All gladiators and wranglers can handle some moderate wheeling, even with no mods, though. No Rubicon necessary.

A lot of more skilled folks just add the Rubi things to other trims, but I don't have that kind of trust in my diy skill. Oh yeah, don't forget the Mojave, though.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
My .02:

I wouldn't get any vehicle without power locks and windows.

I wouldn't get a JT without a hardtop, tow package, 8.4 sound system, passive entry, and the auto trans (sorry, 4,000lbs of towing for a truck ain't enough).

The problem is that even a Sport S with the above options, MSRP is $53,000ish (if you somehow get the dealer to order the passive entry in a Sport S without making you get half doors too as the online configurator currently does).

Sorry guys, I'm not paying upward of $50,000 for a mid size "offroad" truck without at least one locker. You can keep the overland's leather seats and whatever other luxury features it has. I'll take the Mojave or Rubicon any day for the "value".

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
My .02:

I wouldn't get a JT without a hardtop, tow package, 8.4 sound system, passive entry, and the auto trans (sorry, 4,000lbs of towing for a truck ain't enough).

The problem is that even a Sport S with the above options, MSRP is $53,000ish (if you somehow get the dealer to order the passive entry in a Sport S without making you get half doors too as the online configurator currently does).

Sorry guys, I'm not paying upward of $50,000 for a mid size "offroad" truck without at least one locker. You can keep the overland's leather seats and whatever other luxury features it has. I'll take the Mojave or Rubicon any day for the "value".
Yup. That’s really how I ended up with the JTR. By the time I added up everything that I wanted in a non-Rubicon trim, I was close enough to the price of a Rubicon that I just decided to go that route.

Once I decided on a JTR, the difficult thing was finding: 1. A dealer that would talk OTD pricing remotely, 2. Finding one in a color I wanted, and3. Finding one that didn’t have a bunch of stuff that I didn’t care about.

gstipton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
If I had the time, I'd have gone with a Sport S and upgraded the suspension, added a locker, etc. However, I'm at a point in life with not a lot of extra time so I went with the Rubicon since it has most of what I want plus some out of the box.

I did upgrade to 35s, added a winch (and 1" front spacer to compensate for the weight) and a locking tonneau cover. With those change it's about perfect for me - I tow, off road and camp. Sure there are some trails I won't hit, but I'm more into exploring than pushing the vehicle to its limit.

Edit: Oh, if you aren't in a rush I'd recommend ordering from a high volume dealer like Gupton. I got 6% of dealer invoice, which was a huge savings and worth waiting slightly over 2 months.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest, if a Land Rover Defender is in your affordable toy category, then you want a JLU with a 392 and call it a day.
I saw a 392 at the Philly auto show and was surprised to see the suspension sag like a MFer after a plus suzed citizen got on board. And i mean sag enough for me to go bring it to the attention of a rep. The rep promptly laughed and said that all their 392s had done the same thing.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My .02:

*4500 lbs* on Rubicon and Mojave, haha. That's much more respectable :LOL::CWL:. I feel where you're coming from. But I just don't/won't have that much weight to tow. I'm more interested in the bed, otherwise, even a Wrangler would have towed what I need. My VW beetle weighs 1800 lbs.
Sponsored