Sponsored

A case and use for a simple 2"-2.5" lift?

Trlr8tdd

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition JT, 2013 JKR
Occupation
Aviation Chief Inspector
I have the Teraflex level kit now with 37’s. My 2005 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton diesel had a rough county 6” spacer lift almost since birth on 37’s with adjustable track bar. I went that route because that was a hiway driver, 250k. It road like stock because the sprigs were stock. Nothing wrong with a good spacer lift. A Good lift can give you the best of both on and off-road, keep in mind shocks play a big factor in how it feels and reacts. I may go falcon or just extensions for the stock Fox’s, kinda depends on the money situation. Bottom line, don’t buy a cheap all spring lift!
Sponsored

Firebustr

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter
I have the Teraflex level kit now with 37’s. My 2005 Dodge Ram 3/4 ton diesel had a rough county 6” spacer lift almost since birth on 37’s with adjustable track bar. I went that route because that was a hiway driver, 250k. It road like stock because the sprigs were stock. Nothing wrong with a good spacer lift. A Good lift can give you the best of both on and off-road, keep in mind shocks play a big factor in how it feels and reacts. I may go falcon or just extensions for the stock Fox’s, kinda depends on the money situation. Bottom line, don’t buy a cheap all spring lift!
You just solved the biggest dilemma I was dealing with. I was wondering if I should do a spacer level/lift or shocks and springs. I had a spacer lift on my JKU and it did just fine even with my 35's so I was really leaning that way because it was cheaper and easier. I am going to go with longer shocks vs relocation brackets.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Wondering about the really inexpensive 2.5" lift kits that simply raise the suspension....no new shocks or springs....around $100.

I realize that lifting a little and not changing everything will not improve everything, but it would give a little extra clearance. With such a long wheel base, I would think that 2-2.5" would just give a little better look and better use for a little money.
I am running the Iron Rock 2" spacer lift on my jtr. It's a bare-bones lift with just spring spacers and shock extensions. I'll be adding front lower control arms at some point, but for my use, it's a perfectly functional way to get a bit of extra ground clearance. I understand the many advantages of a full kit with increased travel, etc,
Both of you need to understand a suspension lift kit, whether "budget" spacer lift or full blown spring, control arms and track bar kits, will net you ZERO extra ground clearance.

For someone new reading this they may think suspension lifts are ground clearance saviors. The only thing that will give you ground clearance is taller tires. Period.

Suspension kits raise the suspension, tires raise the axle.

KevinC

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Both of you need to understand a suspension lift kit, whether "budget" spacer lift or full blown spring, control arms and track bar kits, will net you ZERO extra ground clearance.

For someone new reading this they may think suspension lifts are ground clearance saviors. The only thing that will give you ground clearance is taller tires. Period.

KevinC
Kevin,

I do get it at the axel/diff this won't add clearance, but don't you increase break-over clearance, which almost makes more benefit for the Gladiator than any other Jeep. I'm not rock-crawling, again, but when going over rockier terrain I am a little more concerned about break-over on the Gladiator. With a diesel and now winch on the front, I'm also interested in leveling a little. At the same time, from what I've read, a suspension lift of only 2" can get you 35's on the Gladiator....which for me would only gain 1" more cleareance.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Kevin,

I do get it at the axel/diff this won't add clearance, but don't you increase break-over clearance, which almost makes more benefit for the Gladiator than any other Jeep. I'm not rock-crawling, again, but when going over rockier terrain I am a little more concerned about break-over on the Gladiator. With a diesel and now winch on the front, I'm also interested in leveling a little. At the same time, from what I've read, a suspension lift of only 2" can get you 35's on the Gladiator....which for me would only gain 1" more cleareance.
You are correct.

you will gain ground clearance everywhere other than under the axle. With suspension lift (either by coios

The clearance and break over angle improvement on the JT from a suspension lift is key; with its long wheelbase.

(I do feel that at least 35” tires are a “must”in my opinion.)

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired

KevinC
Jeep Gladiator A case and use for a simple 2"-2.5" lift? 20210309100224

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
You are correct.

you will gain ground clearance everywhere other than under the axle. With suspension lift (either by coios

The clearance and break over angle improvement on the JT from a suspension lift is key; with its long wheelbase.

(I do feel that at least 35” tires are a “must”in my opinion.)
I am incorrect in this post and stand corrected in my error.
Not correct - How will a suspension lift raise the transfer case skid plate that is bolted to the frame? What about the gas tank skid? It won't. The breakover angle of a JT will not change with a suspension lift.

The only way you are going to increase breakover angle is with larger tires, or some sort of belly tucked skid plate (which I doubt anyone makes).

Granted, larger tires require a lift, which with a JT you can get 35" under it with no lift.

KevinC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Not correct - How will a suspension lift raise the transfer case skid plate that is bolted to the frame? What about the gas tank skid? It won't. The breakover angle of a JT will not change with a suspension lift.
Interesting. So you are saying that lifting the suspension (which is the connecting aspect between the wheel and the frame...super simplified) does not actually raise the frame where the skid plates are attached?

I have the Willys and no skid plates, so I can't visualize where these are attached and can't wrap my head around why raising suspension does not raise the frame and anything connected to it. This is my first Jeep in 25 years, I so don't remember much about these details on my old Scrambler. Seems to me that a suspension lift will....lift the whole vehicle minus the axles and diff

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD

The only way you are going to increase breakover angle is with larger tires, or some sort of belly tucked skid plate (which I doubt anyone makes).

Granted, larger tires require a lift, which with a JT you can get 35" under it with no lift.

KevinC
No, I am correct.

Go lay under your Jeep for a minute. Think it through.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Interesting. So you are saying that lifting the suspension (which is the connecting aspect between the wheel and the frame...super simplified) does not actually raise the frame where the skid plates are attached?

I have the Willys and no skid plates, so I can't visualize where these are attached and can't wrap my head around why raising suspension does not raise the frame and anything connected to it. This is my first Jeep in 25 years, I so don't remember much about these details on my old Scrambler. Seems to me that a suspension lift will....lift the whole vehicle minus the axles and diff
You’re line of thinking is correct.

When you put a suspension lift or coil spring spacers, ask yourself:

Self, do my fender flares get any higher off the ground?
Self, does my door sill get higher such that my wife has to “hop” up to get in?
Self, my Jeep looks good with a lift that increases the ground clearance beneath my skid plates and rocker panels!

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Here is an example.
One is stock and the other is ~3” lift.

Sure seems like my break over angle is mucho better with the lift. But hey, I could be wrong. I didn’t put a protractor on it. ;)

Sorry for my sarcasm. It’s been one of those days.

BE02FAD9-F11E-4E20-AB07-48FDE1177564.jpeg

6D053422-A6CF-44D1-9E21-AA1601766B22.jpeg

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
"Tic Tac Toe.
An interesting game.
The only winning move
Is not to play"

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
No, I am correct.

Go lay under your Jeep for a minute. Think it through.
I stand corrected, my bad. I was thinking about the body lifts and how they only raise the body off the frame. A suspension lift does in fact raise the frame.

I admit when I error.

KevinC

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the 2.5" lift when I 1st got my JT, then put some 34" tires on and did some pretty formidable trails, poison spider, Black Bear pass and so on. But after all the trails (8 all together) I realized Spacer lifts add "0" articulation. I bought my convertible JT to do trails, so I went bigger and more. 37's and 4.5". yes, it cost more, but I gained more articulation, and its way better on the trails with upgraded suspension. Now for gearing.,, it never ends, but Buy once cry once is the way to go. I have a an econo car to run around town. JT is for Jeep things and pulling my trailer to the hills, only.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I went with the 2.5" lift when I 1st got my JT, then put some 34" tires on and did some pretty formidable trails,
I think this is all I want or need. Already, my Willys just barely comes under my garage door with the soft top folded back. I'm betting that with the 2.5" I will have to close the top before I go in...and never ever forget! I'm not trying to take this rig to places where I can seriously damage it. I just want to have a little fun and still drive the roads nicely.

You mentioned towing...my Willys came with the 33" M/T Firestones. I needed to tow back the car I drove down to the dealer. Since the car I drove down was my previous Toad for the motorhome, it already had all the fixing to tow it back. The scariest drive of my life. If you want to test fate, do this. The toad behind the Gladiator with soft M/T tires was fighting me the whole way down the road. I first brought it up to highway speeds and realized that within seconds the toad was going to try to push by the back end and send me off the road (with a vehicle 5 minutes old). I drove 555 the whole 100 miles back home with both hands on the wheels and music off. Complete focus was required.
Sponsored