First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Evolve looks great! Really like my CX Classic but would have got Evolve also if it was available at the time.
JTcapped.jpg
That's nice. Looks factory
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I built one on line, CX HD with aluminum doors instead of windows with T handle locks, carpeted interior and lights. Local dealer sent me a quote back for $3700.

I'm going to order one this week for my 2021 JTR diesel

Last edited:

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Jay, I’m not sure. I know the CX Classic can be built in the HD version. My advice is go to the A.R.E. website, do a build or call an authorized dealer. Attached is what I pulled up possibly around you.

519CA688-68BA-4A47-A0FC-E212BDA7F8B9.png
I appreciate it, and I’ll check it out!

EDIT: the Classic, Evolve and HD are three different and mutually exclusive models apparently

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Your Truck Details: 2021 • Jeep • Gladiator • Crew Cab (Hard Top) • 60.3 in.

A.R.E. Model: CX HD

Your Cap Build:
• Interior Carpet: Dark Gray Headliner
• Clothes Rod: Interior Clothes Rod
• Front Window: Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down Sliding Window
• Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light & Center Rope Light
• Prop Switch: Prop Switch For 12V LED Dome Light & Center Rope Light
• Power Strip: 12-Volt Power Strip
• Side Window: Aluminum Paneled Windoor w/ Folding T
• Rear Door: Aluminum Paneled Door w/ Folding T
• Driver Side Toolbox Divider: Diamond Plate Toolbox with Divider
• Passenger Side Toolbox Divider: Diamond Plate Toolbox with Divider
• Roof Rack: Roof Tracks Only
• Cap-Pack Option: 50 inches - Fits most 5 1/2' truck beds

Your Cost*: $3699

OP
OP
Dejay

Dejay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK RIPP / 2020 JT Gladiator LE Billet Silver
That’s amazing man. Thanks for getting the information. Jeep gladiator forum. Last bastion of helpful useful internet information.
Below is what A.R.E. Says:

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2021 12:50 AM
To: ARE - Contact <[email protected]>
Subject: A.R.E. Contact Form Submission
  • 1. A.R.E. does not have a published weight rating or warranty any weight rating except on the HD Series (550lbs). NON-HD units we do not recommend over 200lbs evenly distributed.
  • 2. All A.R.E. fiberglass caps can withhold the weight that the rack and/or truck is rated for. “How much can your product hold?” “Please consult your truck manufacturer’s center of gravity as well as the weight rating of the rack you will be using in conjunction with our cap.”
  • a. Essentially, our caps can hold what any rack supplier will rate
  • 3. All A.R.E. aluminum caps have a 200lb weight rating.
For example, the Yakima Core Bar & Jetstream have a 165lb & 220lb weight rating on their cross bars (can be found on Yakima’s site). If a customer is inquiring about putting a tent on their cap, it has absolutely nothing to do with what our cap can hold and everything to do with what the crossbars can hold. Therefore, in this example, the Yakima Core Bar is a 165lb rating and if they wanted to add a 200lb tent to it, they would be over the “rating” of the rack. The customer should speak to Yakima (or whatever rack they are going to use) to find out if the product can work with a tent system.

Again, A.R.E. has no written warranty on weight ratings – any added weight to the top of our products is always the customer’s liability.

Ive seen on YouTube similar ARE caps and people put RTT on them with no issues (Several Taco’s with the ARE topper). The bottom line, for me, the max I would put on mine are the three kayaks Under the 200 pound limit. Personally, If I wanted a rooftop tent, I would buy the HD version. Hope this information helps.

Sponsored

AKGerman

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Gas and ULSD consultant

• 1. A.R.E. does not have a published weight rating or warranty any weight rating except on the HD Series (550lbs). NON-HD units we do not recommend over 200lbs evenly distributed.
  • 2. All A.R.E. fiberglass caps can withhold the weight that the rack and/or truck is rated for. “How much can your product hold?” “Please consult your truck manufacturer’s center of gravity as well as the weight rating of the rack you will be using in conjunction with our cap.”
For example, the Yakima Core Bar & Jetstream have a 165lb & 220lb weight rating on their cross bars (can be found on Yakima’s site). If a customer is inquiring about putting a tent on their cap, it has absolutely nothing to do with what our cap can hold and everything to do with what the crossbars can hold. Therefore, in this example, the Yakima Core Bar is a 165lb rating and if they wanted to add a 200lb tent to it, they would be over the “rating” of the rack. The customer should speak to Yakima (or whatever rack they are going to use) to find out if the product can work with a tent system.

Again, A.R.E. has no written warranty on weight ratings – any added weight to the top of our products is always the customer’s liability.

Ive seen on YouTube similar ARE caps and people put RTT on them with no issues (Several Taco’s with the ARE topper). The bottom line, for me, the max I would put on mine are the three kayaks Under the 200 pound limit. Personally, If I wanted a rooftop tent, I would buy the HD version. Hope this information helps.
SUPER information. thanks !

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
Your Truck Details: 2021 • Jeep • Gladiator • Crew Cab (Hard Top) • 60.3 in.

A.R.E. Model: CX HD

Your Cap Build:
• Interior Carpet: Dark Gray Headliner
• Clothes Rod: Interior Clothes Rod
• Front Window: Aluminum Framed Tilt-Down Sliding Window
• Light Option: 12V LED Dome Light & Center Rope Light
• Prop Switch: Prop Switch For 12V LED Dome Light & Center Rope Light
• Power Strip: 12-Volt Power Strip
• Side Window: Aluminum Paneled Windoor w/ Folding T
• Rear Door: Aluminum Paneled Door w/ Folding T
• Driver Side Toolbox Divider: Diamond Plate Toolbox with Divider
• Passenger Side Toolbox Divider: Diamond Plate Toolbox with Divider
• Roof Rack: Roof Tracks Only
• Cap-Pack Option: 50 inches - Fits most 5 1/2' truck beds

Your Cost*: $3699
Did they provide any information about the weight of the cap?

OP
OP
Dejay

Dejay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got back from a Florida trip. The cap was awesome with plenty of room. The side opening windows were very convenient. The Gladiator pulled the Carolina Skiff no problems! Great fishing week...
Jeep Gladiator A.R.E. CX EVOLVE CAP installed CC27F9F7-2EB5-4ECF-9B03-9BB71A48D276

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Looks great!

I just ordered the CX Classic today (I preferred the framed rear window myself). They told me 3 months but it looks like you got yours in 3 weeks! That's a great turnaround time!

Yours looks really nice so gives me hope. I wasn't 100% convinced. I got a few things on it but none of the electricals. Outdoorsman windows, front folding slider window, roof tracks, I'm having them put in 4 of the clothing hanger brackets (one in each corner to see what I can do with them - maybe put a rod through them to hang/clamp things to). If they turn out to be useless at least they will be out of the way.

It looks like the they clamped it down using the Trail Rail system which I was told was how they would do mine. Good to see a picture of it.

Enjoy!

Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)

ARE_1178117.jpg

This is an ARE advertisement image. I'm going to say this is more than 200lbs. once one person gets in this tent. I've seen plenty of folks in the interwebs and youtubes with tents on their CX Classics saying it's not been a problem...yet. I purchased one and have no desire to use an RTT but buyer beware of this ARE advertisement vs what they're telling you or not telling you.

OP
OP
Dejay

Dejay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator A.R.E. CX EVOLVE CAP installed ARE_1178117

This is an ARE advertisement image. I'm going to say this is more than 200lbs. once one person gets in this tent. I've seen plenty of folks in the interwebs and youtubes with tents on their CX Classics saying it's not been a problem...yet. I purchased one and have no desire to use an RTT but buyer beware of this ARE advertisement vs what they're telling you or not telling you.
I agree! I believe it’s a whole lots of CYA, in case something were to happen. Lots of Taco owners with same style cabs doing just this on YouTube. I think it’s more geared for the Moab crowd, the true “rock crawlers” out there.

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin
This is why I'm probably going to be looking elsewhere for a topper. Haven't decided if I'll be doing an RTT yet when I do get a topper, but definitely some heavy kayaks at some point.

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
What's the key situation with these? I understand if you get the CX Evolve, you can get the single central handle that works with the key fob. Is the physical lock keyed to the truck key, or does it have its own dedicated key?

I built one on line, CX HD with aluminum doors instead of windows with T handle locks, carpeted interior and lights. Local dealer sent me a quote back for $3700.

I'm going to order one this week for my 2021 JTR diesel
What's the key situation with the T-handles locks? Can they be rigged up with the clicker? Are they keyed to the truck key, do they have their own dedicated key, or do they share a key with the hatch?

For those wondering about weight, I can't help you directly, but if someone is about to take delivery they can. The last time I bought a topper, I found a truck scale at an RV storage lot. Then I found the nearest fuel station. Before picking up the topper, I took everything out of the truck that wasn't permanently installed, then filled up the tank and drove immediately to the scale. I weighed the truck, then dropped it off to have the topper installed. As soon as I picked it up, I went right back to the same fuel station, topped up, and then went around the corner to weigh the truck again. The dealer told me the topper would be 250-300#, and I was totally shocked when it clocked in at just 140#. That was also a mid-size short bed truck, but it was a commercial topper with a 500# rating, and tool boxes on both sides. The JT is much wider at the top, so there's more fiberglass there, and I imagine the JT topper will weigh in that neighborhood. If no one does this before I get my truck and topper, I'll be doing so, but if anyone is ahead of me (I've got months to go still) and wants to answer this burning question, that's how I've done it.

Last edited: