A Used-New Gladiator

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
What are people's experiences with buying a jeep that has been a demo vehicle. Found this Gladiator that has exactly the options I want, and the MSRP of 56,590, and an offer of 51,600. but it has 1800 miles on it. Thoughs? Any bad experiences?
Sponsored

rockcityphoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland North Edition
What model? That seems like barely much of a discount at all. That's about 10% off MSRP which isn't unusual for a Rubicon and it's low for an Overland.

OP
OP
CCCVagabond

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
What model? That seems like barely much of a discount at all. That's about 10% off MSRP which isn't unusual for a Rubicon and it's low for an Overland.
Rubicon.. that is my concern as well... it does come with an extended powertrain warranty, but I have called dozens of dealers and not having much luck with getting 10% off... this dealer is in another state and it is the best price I have gotten. I just don't like that it has 1800 miles.

I got a 3% below invoice from one out-of-state dealer, and a 9.75% off anything in the lot local... but most vehicles have either too many or too few options.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
What are people's experiences with buying a jeep that has been a demo vehicle. Found this Gladiator that has exactly the options I want, and the MSRP of 56,590, and an offer of 51,600. but it has 1800 miles on it. Thoughs? Any bad experiences?
Is it being sold as new or used? Has it been licensed/titled? If it is being sold as new with full warranty, I don't see a problem. Ask for an oil/filter change as part of the sale. Just make sure it drives good and straight, and has the options you want.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The term “demo vehicle” in my opinion is a pig in a poke. You really do not know the whole truth or story behind it.

Very rare for a demo vehicle nowadays to be either the dealership owner or sales manager vehicle. At best, maybe it was a vehicle service loaner but many times, they are vehicles that either were on the lot or immediate untitled sale return vehicle that had problems.

Also, most buyers test drive the vehicle they are actually looking at and not some “demo” to just get a feel for the model.

For me, it better be discounted pretty well to even consider the risk/reward.

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, '21 JLU 80th | Past '20 JTR, '18 JLUR
The term “demo vehicle” in my opinion is a pig in a poke. You really do not know the whole truth or story behind it.

Very rare for a demo vehicle nowadays to be either the dealership owner or sales manager vehicle. At best, maybe it was a vehicle service loaner but many times, they are vehicles that either were on the lot or immediate untitled sale return vehicle that had problems.

Also, most buyers test drive the vehicle they are actually looking at and not some “demo” to just get a feel for the model.

Not always true, at my local dealer the sales manager still drives a "Demo". Last year he had a lifted Gladiator demo for a couple months.

To the OP - You should be able to get them down a little more, just be sure it was not titled/registered and is still classified as new.

OP
OP
CCCVagabond

CCCVagabond

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White JTR
Yeah, I was told it was the owners demo vehicle to show off at the golf course etc... so it is new. It took them a while to get down to the price they gave me and they haven’t returned my most recent email... so maybe they are done. An oil change would be a good suggestion. It was a find because it is exactly what I would order custom... but at this point I may just order one and wait til fall.

thanks all for the advice.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Buy the vehicle and not the story. Use your better judgement.

Isle_of_Man

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
I'm in a similar position to OP right now. Does anyone have a decent guess about how this jeep was used based on the below history? The reports say it was a personal use vehicle, but the history doesn't look like normal personal use to me.

Sport S with 7in Radio, Trailer Tow, Cold Weather, Aux, Automatic, and 3 piece hard top with an MSRP of $44,365. $35k excluding tax/title/reg, the Gladiator is being sold as used but only has ~650 miles.

I pulled the Carfax and the Autocheck reports. Clean, one owner, with a lien reported. The history is a little odd though:

Autocheck history:
10/21/2019RENO, NVMotor Vehicle Dept.REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
11/09/2019RENO, NV25Motor Vehicle Dept.TITLE(Title #:ET012164632-7) (Lien Reported)
01/23/2020RENO, NVMotor Vehicle Dept.TITLE(Title #:NV012362423-7) (Lien Reported)
05/25/2020CA439Motor Vehicle Dept.PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

Carfax history:
09/05/2019
Reno, NV Dealership1 Mileage: 5
Vehicle serviced
  • Pre-delivery inspection completed
  • Vehicle washed/detailed
  • Wheel locks installed

09/30/2019
Reno, NV Dealership2 Mileage: 110
  • Vehicle offered for sale

11/09/2019
Reno, NV Motor vehicle dept
  • Title issued or updated
  • Registration issued or renewed
  • First owner reported
  • Titled or registered as personal vehicle
  • Loan or lien reported

01/08/2020
Reno, NV Inspection station Mileage: 424
  • Passed emissions inspection

01/23/2020
Reno, NV Motor Vehicle department

03/04/2020
Reno, NV Inspection station Mileage: 438

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated!

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a similar position to OP right now. Does anyone have a decent guess about how this jeep was used based on the below history? The reports say it was a personal use vehicle, but the history doesn't look like normal personal use to me.

Sport S with 7in Radio, Trailer Tow, Cold Weather, Aux, Automatic, and 3 piece hard top with an MSRP of $44,365. $35k excluding tax/title/reg, the Gladiator is being sold as used but only has ~650 miles.

I pulled the Carfax and the Autocheck reports. Clean, one owner, with a lien reported. The history is a little odd though:

Autocheck history:
10/21/2019RENO, NVMotor Vehicle Dept.REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
11/09/2019RENO, NV25Motor Vehicle Dept.TITLE(Title #:ET012164632-7) (Lien Reported)
01/23/2020RENO, NVMotor Vehicle Dept.TITLE(Title #:NV012362423-7) (Lien Reported)
05/25/2020CA439Motor Vehicle Dept.PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

Carfax history:
09/05/2019
Reno, NV Dealership1 Mileage: 5
Vehicle serviced
  • Pre-delivery inspection completed
  • Vehicle washed/detailed
  • Wheel locks installed

09/30/2019
Reno, NV Dealership2 Mileage: 110
  • Vehicle offered for sale

11/09/2019
Reno, NV Motor vehicle dept
  • Registration issued or renewed
  • First owner reported
  • Titled or registered as personal vehicle
  • Loan or lien reported

01/08/2020
Reno, NV Inspection station Mileage: 424

01/23/2020
Reno, NV Motor Vehicle department

03/04/2020
Reno, NV Inspection station Mileage: 438

Any help understanding this would be greatly appreciated!
It's definitely used because it's been titled and registered. The multiple emissions tests seem a little odd, for a new vehicle. It could have been a repo, or someone gave it up because they lost their job.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland

That’s actually not necessarily true. Dealerships will typically tell you if it was a service loaner and they typically have more like 4K miles on them, a lot of times have an “L” at the end of the stock number, and probably aren’t going to be a Rubicon.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It's definitely used because it's been titled and registered. The multiple emissions tests seem a little odd, for a new vehicle. It could have been a repo, or someone gave it up because they lost their job.
That will typically convey on the carfax unless it just happened and hasn’t shown up yet.

gonzoy5

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Just contributing for the research. Lucked into a 59k Rubi for 48k w/2500 miles. Was owned for about 6 months then sat around the dealer for another 6. Even if they did play around with it for some mileage, damn thing looked brand new. Couldn't find anything to be concerned about anywhere. Even had steps and tonneau added (they weren't on the sticker)
and added about 1k miles since getting it and zero problems. It's funny, I tried to punch in a build like this to carfax and kbb to get a value and they won't spit out a number lol.

To the guy with the wierd carfax history, mine looked similar and checked out ok so I wouldn't worry. I don't think a dealer would be able to sell anything with a lien on it anyway.
Sponsored