Adaptive Cruise Control shuts off

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Last week driving in Burns Harbor IN past the ArcelorMittal steel plant my ACC shut off generating a dashboard warning. It soon started to work again - I noticed that the emergency brake idiot light turned off. I didn’t think much about it.

the ACC worked just fine until the next time I drove past ArcelorMittal when it shut off and turned on at the same locations.

Coincidence? Correlation? Causation? Electromagnetic interference??
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If it repeats at the same location, it is most likely an environmental issue. My guess is something at the plant is generating a signal that interferes with the ACC radar.

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
It did not happen during my return westbound trip last week

it did happen again eastbound today at the exact same location each time. Eastbound each time

the plant is north

hmmmm

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How does the compass work in that area? Don't know what type of furnaces they have there, if any, but.............

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
It shut off again at exactly the same place for exactly the same distance. And I forgot to check the compass.

1F6814F1-FFCB-49A1-B887-862811BACBED.jpeg

E063159D-96DD-4982-8FBB-FB0A60BDD721.jpeg

8D5C74C6-6A9E-4E26-BDBF-6319CEC676D4.jpeg

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Where is the sun position when you are driving?

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
It may be tripping on some weird lines in the road.... The only issue I had was when a monster bug hit in just the right place on the upper windshield and when my buds diesel threw a smoke screen I couldn't see through LOL.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It shut off again at exactly the same place for exactly the same distance. And I forgot to check the compass.

1F6814F1-FFCB-49A1-B887-862811BACBED.jpeg

E063159D-96DD-4982-8FBB-FB0A60BDD721.jpeg

8D5C74C6-6A9E-4E26-BDBF-6319CEC676D4.jpeg
Do the locals have a radar sign or run a speed trap in the area? ACC uses radar so I'd assume anything interfering with that could cause issues.
As mentioned - sun position - reflecting at the wrong angle on the glass?
I note as I drive my JT on certain sunny days I must be blinding some folks as my truck's windshield lights up street signs and shoots focused beams on some objects to the point it almost blinds me. I mean my windshield will light up a reflective street sign half a block away and I've seen the effect on store and building windows and it almost is like there's a laser being pointed at me or some big light house beam is shooting out at me.
This flat glass is crazy in the sun. I've driven behind people and seen the sun reflection from my windshield light up the interior of their car.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Do the locals have a radar sign or run a speed trap in the area? ACC uses radar so I'd assume anything interfering with that could cause issues.
As mentioned - sun position - reflecting at the wrong angle on the glass?
I note as I drive my JT on certain sunny days I must be blinding some folks as my truck's windshield lights up street signs and shoots focused beams on some objects to the point it almost blinds me. I mean my windshield will light up a reflective street sign half a block away and I've seen the effect on store and building windows and it almost is like there's a laser being pointed at me or some big light house beam is shooting out at me.
This flat glass is crazy in the sun. I've driven behind people and seen the sun reflection from my windshield light up the interior of their car.
No radar sign. and speed traps are rare - I didnt see any. I was the only one on this section of the road. i guess as long i don’t start to mutate it’s not a big issue, just curious to me.

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
It may be tripping on some weird lines in the road.... The only issue I had was when a monster bug hit in just the right place on the upper windshield and when my buds diesel threw a smoke screen I couldn't see through LOL.
As you could imagine there are a lot of power lines around and overhead to support the steel mill

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No radar sign. and speed traps are rare - I didnt see any. I was the only one on this section of the road. i guess as long i don’t start to mutate it’s not a big issue, just curious to me.
Don't take your kid's pet turtles with you..........

Jeep Gladiator Adaptive Cruise Control shuts off turtles-tmn

OP
OP
FrankFrqnkFrank

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
How does the compass work in that area? Don't know what type of furnaces they have there, if any, but.............
it happened after sundown today - same place as before. But the compass continued to work.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Is the semi truck entrance near where it happens? Sometimes the have systems to notify security of incoming trucks
Sponsored