Sponsored

Added brake controller

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Galdiator Rubicon
It is 2020 and the world is dealing with a Pandemic. So, we are going RVing. We are renting one to test it out and see what we think as a family. In order to tow a travel trailer I needed a brake controller. Since Mopar can’t seem to get one out there for us I bought and installed a third party brake controller.

I bought a Redarc Tow-Pro Elite with a wire harness from Tekonsha. (info blow) The controller is proportional controller. It uses 3 accelerometers to sense its orientation in the truck then determines the truck’s motion. It applies the brakes based on your movement. You slow a little, it applies a little brake. You hit ‘em hard, it puts the brakes on up to the setting you set. There is a manual mode too. It has a small button that needs to be mounted and the controller can be hidden under the dash.

The installation was easy overall. The Tekonsha wire harness has the correct Jeep end and their connector. I had to cut off their end and solder the redarc connector on. The Jeep side is just plugs into the connector that us just above the clutch pedal (or where it would be if you have an auto). Then a RJ-45 end and twisted pair cable that runs to the control button. I found a spot next to the center stack next to the cigarette lighter…I mean 12 volt power socket (not a cigarettes lighter anymore). It is a good spot, however, the material there is a little thick. After drilling the hole I was committed to using it. I wound up using a dremel to thin the trim panel so the button will push in correctly.

I mounted the controller’s box behind the panel under the steering wheel. There is a horizontal brace that I used some self-tapping screwing to attach it. I did trim the back side of the trim panel so it closes.

Over all it went well.

One note, without a trailer when I turn it on the unit on the Jeep interprets the lack of a trailer and signal to the trailer as a fault. It turns the stability control off and throws a light on the dash. Restart the Jeep with the controller turned off no more error.

Now I just need to hook trailer with a brake to it to see how it works.

Parts:
331-EBRH-ACCV2 Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles – Proportional $208.16
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Redarc/331-EBRH-ACCV2.html

3073-P Tekonsha Custom Wiring Adapter for Trailer Brake Controllers – Jeep
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Tekonsha/3073-P.html

*Pics to follow
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't have a diode in the harness, it will cause issues. Doesn't Redarc sell a harness for the Gladiator? There are a few threads about the Redarc in the Towing section.

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don't have a diode in the harness, it will cause issues. Doesn't Redarc sell a harness for the Gladiator? There are a few threads about the Redarc in the Towing section.
The wire harness I bought had a diode. I left in place when I spliced the new connector on.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Whew, makes the Bluetooth controller I bought seem worth the money!

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My Redarc with the Ram connector doing the wire swap trick doesn't have this issue. I randomly press the button at times for funzies and have never had an issue pop up on my dash.

OP
OP
LANGeek

LANGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Redarc with the Ram connector doing the wire swap trick doesn't have this issue. I randomly press the button at times for funzies and have never had an issue pop up on my dash.
Yeah, I should have gotten the that harness.

I did figure out my issue, the diode got turned around. D'Oh! rewired it correctly and it works fine now.
Sponsored