First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
So after yet another wet snowy dark early morning drive to work, my led headlights and led fog lights were caked in snow. This happened three times in 20 minutes, each time accumulating so much snow I could not safely drive. So solution is go back to OEM halogen headlights or add aftermarket leds with heaters. Well those are $700!!
Solution= Hella 500 Black Magic with hella 55watt yellow bulbs. Ordered and awaiting delivery. Mine are aftermarket led headlights but I hope oem and more aftermarket companies address this very well known icing issues with Jeeps.
LED headlights are awesome 98% of the time, but man, this morning was bad!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The problem has more to do with the recessed headlights than the low-heat-output LED lamps. My headlights were caked in snow during storms even with the stock headlights.

Kevin

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I thought maybe with my 7ā€ headlights snd the slight recessed gap it might help. Nope. I even make sure my lenses are clean and added rainx plastic polish to keep it from sticking. Nope.
Jeep Gladiator Adding Halogens! Enough is enough! 27850CAC-0652-4B6C-89FD-23739A7544DA

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
While this is mostly an issue for folks in the north, I still can't believe manufacturers aren't taking this into consideration in their designs/builds.
Thats what baffles me too! I was talking to random gas station owner who has a JLUR and we were BSā€™ing about Jeeps a couple months back. Even he complained! He took his Jeep to Chrysler and thought something was wrong! Maybe one day if the mainstream auto media picks up on it. Its wicked dangerous up where I live

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Jeep Gladiator Adding Halogens! Enough is enough! 7333B097-DBCC-4F03-BB88-27B08458671C
Jeep Gladiator Adding Halogens! Enough is enough! DE2BC745-D026-4416-8D5E-AD301308BE28

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a 12 volt fan and some flexible dryer duct to use engine heat to keep the lights clear?

I live where this should not be a problem. I got caught in a nasty snow storm last year on the way home from a trip to Sedona. I was down to about 15mph until a big truck came by that I was able to get behind and follow.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
This works OK, provided the washer fluid is heated. Otherwise it just makes things worse.
No thanks. The stupid little wipers freeze down and are worthless. The whole system ends up being very expensive to maintain.

Kevin

OP
OP
Courtsm3

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
A sprayer could work and yes I agree it would need to be heated. Or a good -45 fluid to effectively melt any build up. Methyl Hydrate anyone?

LetzGoState

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I wonder if someone could design a transparent insert with heated lens that could make it flush to the grill or even slightly protruding while maintaining the look. Use the factory light harness with a piggyback coupler to utilize the headlight current to activate a relay and other power source that would turn on the heating element. It would prevent the caking happening because they are recessed and probably add some slight aerodynamic improvement. Yeah, yeah, I already know that cows and lobsters are more aerodynamic lol