First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
I bought one of these from Amazon to have in my kitchen... it’s very finicky. Sometimes it doesn’t charge at all... and seems less efficient with certain cases. I don’t even use it anymore because my lightening connector charger so much faster.
Thanks, I'm glad it was only $14.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
The Qi charger arrived today. In practice, it will work. This probably is not the correct charging pad. The size of it along with the poor bend radius of the cable makes it a very awkward fit. The cable is a cheap PVC jacketed one so it is very stiff and the truck was very cold. I will try with a different cable in a day or so.
Jeep Gladiator Adding Qi charging to console image

OP
OP

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
So I purchased a flexible woven charging cable and it fits much better. I need to get a second phone and take some pics. The fit of the pad is actually good and since it’s has a rubbery finish the phone doesn’t seem to move around. Offroad would be a different story I’m sure. It won’t break any records with its charging speed so I may look for something faster. I am also using the passthru USB port on the wireless CarPlay unit so that could be a contributing factor.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
So I purchased a flexible woven charging cable and it fits much better. I need to get a second phone and take some pics. The fit of the pad is actually good and since it’s has a rubbery finish the phone doesn’t seem to move around. Offroad would be a different story I’m sure. It won’t break any records with its charging speed so I may look for something faster. I am also using the passthru USB port on the wireless CarPlay unit so that could be a contributing factor.
Awesome. Would love to see what it looks like. I might try this with a 15w samsung one once I get wireless android auto configured.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
The pass-through port on the adapter will be a bottleneck. I have a setup similar to yours, and I ended up getting a USB Y-cable that has power only to one side, and plugging the Qi pad into that. I’ve also found that having the phone on the pad, in the console, the phone gets hot enough to start acting strange, and eventually shutting down due to heat.

Kevin

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Hi. New guy coming from a ZR2 Bison. There's a thread on Coloradofans.com where a guy did essentially this. A lot of people with giant tablet sized phones like to complain that the factory charger is too small (it's too big for my iPhone 12 mini, but fit my 8S like a glove). This guy bought an extra large Qi charger pad, and fitted into a larger tray in the center console. Obviously not a 1:1 how to, but probably informative all the same.

https://www.coloradofans.com/thread...-pocket-for-large-phones.419729/#post-5320971

I don't have the new truck yet, so I'm not really sure where you'd be able to put a phone such that you can conveniently just place the phone wherever, but it might spark some ideas.

On a slightly different note, I have a CarLinkIt 2 as well. Used it in the Bison. Worked pretty well most of the time. Between that and the factory wireless charging, it was about as slick as you could get. Very much looking forward to replicating that setup in the JT.

Post lots of photos of whatever you end up doing. I'll be right behind you!

Sponsored

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager

Fishee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys NACHO
Whatever happened to this thread? OP get it working?

RogMac1175

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Property Manager
I’m thinking of installing this Anker Qi charging pad inside the top section of the console. I have the wireless Caplay adapter already plugged into the USB inside the lower section but it has a pass thru USB port which I will use for the charging pad. If it works I will cut the rubber mat and make it more permanent.

Anker Wireless Charger, PowerWave Pad Qi-Certified 10W Max for iPhone SE 2020, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, AirPods, Galaxy S20 S10, Note 10 9 (No AC Adapter, Not Compatible with MagSafe Magnetic Charging) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THHQMHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FYHXWXV57ME760FNK4J9

Does the USB inside the console connect to the infotainment or is it for charging only?

RogMac1175

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Property Manager
I've looked into these and always saw reviews that it was a 50/50 shot you had to "re-sync" the device. Seems like this one is better.

Reading over the set up steps it looks like it does BT then to it's own WiFi connection. For set up it mentions disconnecting your own Wifi. Do you have to do that every time once set up though? Or is it smart enough to swap your phones wifi off the house after the set up?

I have the CarPlay2Air as well. I have tried others- Ottocast and a generic Amazon one, and yes, those required regular re-syncing. The CarPlay2Air works flawlessly.
Sponsored