First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Occupation
Sales
So I just put down my deposit on a Mojave and had a question for some of the guys that actually do some desert running. How can we add some more travel to the suspension? I don't necessarily want to do a lift, I just want more capability to have some fun. I watched Teraflex's video on their RT3 suspension and they state 16" of travel. I just don't really want to replace the factory Fox 2.5s.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
With out replacing the shocks you can't because the shocks are the limiting item. The teraflex stuff is all for making it work when you have more flex, not for giving you more flex.

This is the issue with the Mojave if you like the stock shocks you are stuck with stock articulation (even if you add spacers and shock extensions you still get the same amount of total travel.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Sway bar disconnect is about all you can do if you want to leave it stock. So far I haven’t seen a need to disconnect, and I’ve had it on some twisty trails.

Sonoran_Mohavey

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Real Estate Development
You if you want like real long travel, like long long travel, your gonna prob lose what makes the mojave unique. But as said above, the flex is already pretty nice. I am adding an Autolynx disconnect for my sway bar though!

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
More travel = new shocks = get rid of your Mojave Fox shocks. They do make those shocks in longer length after market but the Jeep ones have different ends iirc.

Sponsored

OP
OP

andrewdoesit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Occupation
Sales
With out replacing the shocks you can't because the shocks are the limiting item. The teraflex stuff is all for making it work when you have more flex, not for giving you more flex.

This is the issue with the Mojave if you like the stock shocks you are stuck with stock articulation (even if you add spacers and shock extensions you still get the same amount of total travel.
thats the problem I’m hitting is I don’t want to shell out $6k plus a $5k lift kit for the possibility of hitting some big whoops once or twice a year. I guess I’ll have to just go out and see if it does what I want it to do and see if I can justify somehow spending that kid of dough.

OP
OP

andrewdoesit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Occupation
Sales
You if you want like real long travel, like long long travel, your gonna prob lose what makes the mojave unique. But as said above, the flex is already pretty nice. I am adding an Autolynx disconnect for my sway bar though!
I guess I’m trying to figure out how to just be able to take it to the next level without trying to turn it into a trophy truck. I’m not going to be hitting 6’ whoops, but I’d love to have some capability to put it closer to Raptor territory just because.

OP
OP

andrewdoesit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Occupation
Sales
Sway bar disconnect is about all you can do if you want to leave it stock. So far I haven’t seen a need to disconnect, and I’ve had it on some twisty trails.
what kind of trails are you hitting out of curiosity? We’ll be mainly taking this to west Texas, OK, southern CO, and try to venture out to NM and AZ. Also do some good overlanding but want to have it more fun-focused.

Terminus33

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Cherokee
Occupation
Pool Tech
Don't forget that if you need that much travel you are probably moving pretty fast. Quick suspension reaction isn't a thing with the JT's solid front axel. Things like that are more suited to a IFS vehicle, where a short shock can still be used as it would be mounted closer to the pivot and allow the wheels farther out to travel more and faster.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Don't forget that if you need that much travel you are probably moving pretty fast. Quick suspension reaction isn't a thing with the JT's solid front axel. Things like that are more suited to a IFS vehicle, where a short shock can still be used as it would be mounted closer to the pivot and allow the wheels farther out to travel more and faster.
Couldn’t agree more.

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I guess I’m trying to figure out how to just be able to take it to the next level without trying to turn it into a trophy truck. I’m not going to be hitting 6’ whoops, but I’d love to have some capability to put it closer to Raptor territory just because.
I'd be looking for rcvs and trusses and gussets as the FAD is the major weak point and is prone to taco'ing if you really really send it at high speeds.

The gladiator will never really compete with the raptor at desert running much like the raptor will never compete with the gladiator at rocks. That sfa as mentioned just doesn't lend itself to quick suspension movements compared to ifs.

Jems007

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
$5k lift ? You can get a solid lift and shocks well under $2k. Less than 1500. Tires and wheels will be pricey but you can sell take offs and recoup some of it.

OP
OP

andrewdoesit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Occupation
Sales
I'd be looking for rcvs and trusses and gussets as the FAD is the major weak point and is prone to taco'ing if you really really send it at high speeds.

The gladiator will never really compete with the raptor at desert running much like the raptor will never compete with the gladiator at rocks. That sfa as mentioned just doesn't lend itself to quick suspension movements compared to ifs.
Agreed, I know it’s not a raptor And that’s exactly what I like is more trail capability.