Adventure off road difficulty??

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
Hey all. I have a brand new stock Rubicon. I want to take it to Adventure Off Road, which is about an hour away from me.
I figure I should ask but the “easy” trails out there aren’t anything this thing can’t handle, are they?
Sponsored

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
There looks to be plenty

https://www.adventureoffroadpark.com/pages/map

Most off-road parks follow the same designations as ski runs: Green for easy, blue for moderate, black for difficult, double black for pucker up and red for being an extra roll of toilet paper and a welder.

Some also offer guided group or 1-on-1 rides. I’ve done a few myself when first started in my 2008 Jeep Wrangler.

I’d call them to see if they offer this.

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S, Bright White
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
I highly recommend not going in a stock vehicle. There is nothing out there that I would classify as stock friendly any more. Trail 2 and 3 weren't bad and can be done stock. However Trail 1 to get to it (the main trail up the mountain) is rutted out and should be a blue trail for parts of it instead of green.
I was out there last weekend with the jeep club, we had spotters and a winch set up on part of the first trail because some of the stock folks were getting stuck.

FYI, I came home with a leaking rear pinion seal...took a bad line coming down Trail 1 and got the passenger rear in the air and waved at the jeep behind me.
The short clip below is Trail 1, if you don't want to drive that, don't go... as I said, it's the main trail up the mountain.
I'm on a 3.5" lift w/37s btw...

OP
OP
TheDerb

TheDerb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon
I highly recommend not going in a stock vehicle. There is nothing out there that I would classify as stock friendly any more. Trail 2 and 3 weren't bad and can be done stock. However Trail 1 to get to it (the main trail up the mountain) is rutted out and should be a blue trail for parts of it instead of green.
I was out there last weekend with the jeep club, we had spotters and a winch set up on part of the first trail because some of the stock folks were getting stuck.

FYI, I came home with a leaking rear pinion seal...took a bad line coming down Trail 1 and got the passenger rear in the air and waved at the jeep behind me.
The short clip below is Trail 1, if you don't want to drive that, don't go... as I said, it's the main trail up the mountain.
I'm on a 3.5" lift w/37s btw...

Thanks for that response. My wife and I drove down there today- we live in Murfreesboro so figured we may as well take my new truck for a drive anyways.

The young guy behind the counter said "Im not going to charge you yet- why don't you go look at the trail head and if you want to tackle it, pay me at the end".

We went up and looked at exactly what you are showing in the video and said "nope". That first little turn was a hell of a bank, and it was complete mud. 2 Jeeps ahead of us were turning around as well, and I felt bad because at least one of them were driven by people who were setting up camp.

Do you have any recommendations on a good place to go for easy trails that aren't just "soft-roading"? I want to go out with a Jeep group, but I don't want to be a complete novice, so I'd like to learn what my truck can do before I sign up to do something that makes me an inconvenience for the rest of the people in the group. Maybe a place where 4L is required but as long as I have a winch I won't have any worries? I just need practice. I just bought this truck and I'm hoping I can use all of the features and technology I just paid for before I have to upgrade it all.

Thanks!

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
Go to Windrock. They have a mix of trails, green, blue, and black. You can find anything and everything there.

But be forewarned, after a visit you will want to dump $10k into your truck making it worthy.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sad to say most trails now are "Go big or stay home". The old days thing of "back in the day you could still do many trails in stock or slightly modified, most of them places are gone it seems now.

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
Thanks for that response. My wife and I drove down there today- we live in Murfreesboro so figured we may as well take my new truck for a drive anyways.

The young guy behind the counter said "Im not going to charge you yet- why don't you go look at the trail head and if you want to tackle it, pay me at the end".

We went up and looked at exactly what you are showing in the video and said "nope". That first little turn was a hell of a bank, and it was complete mud. 2 Jeeps ahead of us were turning around as well, and I felt bad because at least one of them were driven by people who were setting up camp.

Do you have any recommendations on a good place to go for easy trails that aren't just "soft-roading"? I want to go out with a Jeep group, but I don't want to be a complete novice, so I'd like to learn what my truck can do before I sign up to do something that makes me an inconvenience for the rest of the people in the group. Maybe a place where 4L is required but as long as I have a winch I won't have any worries? I just need practice. I just bought this truck and I'm hoping I can use all of the features and technology I just paid for before I have to upgrade it all.

Thanks!
Go to Windrock. They have a mix of trails, green, blue, and black. You can find anything and everything there.

But be forewarned, after a visit you will want to dump $10k into your truck making it worthy.

I'll echo Windrock, they put a lot of work into that park and the trails are clearly marked. Green's mean green and blue's mean blue.
I'll add Turkey Bay, probably a shorter drive than Windrock and fun to play down next to the lakes.
Other than that, Stoney Lonesome is a few hours down in Alabama (Probably same drive as Windrock), Stoney has done LOTS of work on their trails in the last year and actually bulldozed parts that had gotten too bad.

But Windrock is my main one, so much space and so many trails, I haven't been on the same one twice yet. Stock you can do one of the Jeep Badge trails too if you are good at picking lines (Trail #26).

Most of the bigger parks seem to be good about trail maintenance, I've been out to Hot Springs, Arkansas, their park is very nice too and all 3 Badge trails are doable stock for a Rubicon, might need a winch on Rubicon Ridge, but that's only in one spot.

Also shameless plug - https://www.facebook.com/groups/jeepsandwrenchesmainpage
Check out the Jeep club, we have monthly meet and greets and rides, usually once a month. May we are going to Turkey Bay so if you and the wife wanted to get out and test it, could do so with the safety of having others around with you.

Smart man to turn around at AOP, last weekend we had 3 broken axles, a broken ball joint delete, an oil drain plug ripped out of the pan, and my leaking rear pinion seal...

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
Oh also while technically it used to be considered 'soft-roading', Haley Road is actually a really decent trail - https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/tennessee/haley-road
Check out Coalmont OHV too, only about an hour away from you in Murfreesboro, no personal experience with this one yet, but I will get too it soon.

Astroguy881

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Quality Manager
I just went to Uwharrie for the Jeep Adventure Academy over the weekend. It was a good trip - though it was muddy as all get-out from the rain on Friday and Saturday morning. It didn't rain during the trail rides and obstacle course, but it was slick and muddy.
https://jeepadventureacademy.com/

I don't think they have any openings for this year still left, but it can't hurt to look.

I have a stock (at least as far as off-road mods) 2022 Willys, and there were a couple places where my mind said "nope", but the instructors did a good job of guiding us, and I was surprised how things I would never have attempted it did with no problem. There were a couple places where the trailer hitch bumped on Gladiators that Wranglers had no issues with, but that's to be expected and they warned the Gladi owners it would happen.

The only "bad" thing that happened, to me anyway" was during a rock obstacle, I gave it a little too much right foot (which is a problem for me, since I have a lead foot), and slid off the rock and banged the skid plate pretty good. It was a sickening sound but that's what the skid plates are for, right?

I really do like the fact that I decided to go to the Adventure Academy. It was expensive for what amounted to about 5 hours of trail rides, but it is giving me confidence to go off-roading more.

I live in Murfreesboro, so I think I'm going to join the jeepsandwrenches club mentioned earlier. Be good to have experienced people around to help me learn.

drewcnit

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Geek and Data Nerd
I just went to Uwharrie for the Jeep Adventure Academy over the weekend. It was a good trip - though it was muddy as all get-out from the rain on Friday and Saturday morning. It didn't rain during the trail rides and obstacle course, but it was slick and muddy.
https://jeepadventureacademy.com/

I don't think they have any openings for this year still left, but it can't hurt to look.

I have a stock (at least as far as off-road mods) 2022 Willys, and there were a couple places where my mind said "nope", but the instructors did a good job of guiding us, and I was surprised how things I would never have attempted it did with no problem. There were a couple places where the trailer hitch bumped on Gladiators that Wranglers had no issues with, but that's to be expected and they warned the Gladi owners it would happen.

The only "bad" thing that happened, to me anyway" was during a rock obstacle, I gave it a little too much right foot (which is a problem for me, since I have a lead foot), and slid off the rock and banged the skid plate pretty good. It was a sickening sound but that's what the skid plates are for, right?

I really do like the fact that I decided to go to the Adventure Academy. It was expensive for what amounted to about 5 hours of trail rides, but it is giving me confidence to go off-roading more.

I live in Murfreesboro, so I think I'm going to join the jeepsandwrenches club mentioned earlier. Be good to have experienced people around to help me learn.
Uwharrie is beautiful I was out there a few weeks ago with the SFWDA's Trailfest.
The May meet and greet is 2 weeks out for the Jeep club, can't recommend it enough, I know this sponsor that is hosting the meet and greet usually does a raffle for free gear too.

I've looked into the Adventure Academy and decided that it was a lot of money for what amounted to a trail ride, I am however thinking of going to a Jamboree.

Jeep Gladiator Adventure off road difficulty?? IMG_20230414_135635

jeep1

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2024 JLURX
I am however thinking of going to a Jamboree.
I can't say enough good things about the JJUSA folks. They put on great events. BUT they are very popular and most sell out almost immediately. Most events will have a variety of trails ranging from basically forest roads to pretty serious trails that you need fully built out rigs to do. Nothing completely insane since they don't allow buggies or anything over 40s (use to be 37s...) and they prefer that you don't break your jeep. To put it perspective, they rate the the Rubicon Trail a "10", the "hardest" trail they do.

For the Jamboree's I've been too, the organizers have been top notch, they do vehicle inspections at registration and will suggest what trails you can do based on your experience and how adventurous you are.

Also.. these are events .. and for some they'll be seen as expensive, but they are great for folks that don't have a local club to ride with or just prefer more organized events.

For the OP, I believe there is a Jamboree the last weekend in May up in Attica, Indiana that still has some room.
Sponsored