Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Culinary Operations Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Definitely let us know.

I got in touch with a technician at the manufacturer (Bruce). I called the 800# on RR site and they ultimately gave me direct phone # to the Mfg and after brief discussion that lady sent me to a product technician.

He explained that while they did not include straps or tethers to roll the back forward while driving, it is possible. It can be rolled forward while parked (wtf?) but not tethered down for driving. He did add that you could add straps/velcro/bungees of your own to accomplish this. I am thinking maybe using a few small ratchet straps as a solution? TBD until I see it...

I think I am going to take the plunge. There is a 30 day return policy if you buy it direct.

My end goal is to install this in early spring, store my hardtop until the end of the summer, and then swap back for late fall/winter. Of course this all depends on (a) am I savvy enough to install/remove on my own and (b) how much time it will take to remove at the end of the season. This would enable me to have "on the fly-ish" weather protection if rain pops up on a day I am driving open air and doesn't require a 2nd person which the hard top removal requires for me.

I am getting some other work done on my Jeep the next 1-2 weeks and then will order the top. Will report back.

PS If anyone has any experiential advice to share on soft top installs I am all ears, anything to help me not snap out of frustration from the mediocre install instructions they provide.
Yes, looking forward to seeing how this works for you. The pictures and info on their site are vague at best, misleading at worst. They show it pretty much "fully topless" front and back but then say you can't roll the back forward (even though you see it completely uncovered).
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
It says its made of 30 oz premium sailcloth.

That's pretty close to the 30 oz twill used in the OEM factory soft top.

The key thing here is its fabric, not vinyl. Which I think you may have assumed.

So please get it so we can all benefit from your experience. Ha.
I like the fabric look better for sure. I just hope it's waterproof 🙏🤞🏼

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow

Ah yes, the disadvantage of ordering online sight-unseen with lousy pics. Considering it's only a hundred and change more than a sunrider for just the freedom panel area, might just go ahead and get it in the next month or so.

Sponsored

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Q&A on this product page answers a lot of questions. Apparently you can flip forward from the back, but they do not want you to DRIVE it that way. Just for parking at the beach to take photos.

https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-voyager-soft-top/v/jeep/gladiator/2020/
Yeah I had a really good conversation with a manufacturer product technician refer back to my original post. You will see the summary but the net is: There is a way to do this safely. You just assume liability...

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah I had a really good conversation with a manufacturer product technician refer back to my original post. You will see the summary but the net is: There is a way to do this safely. You just assume liability...
Have you seen what it looks like if you get max opening by doing what they want? Ie, rolling from the front to back? The only open photos I've seen are with the mid opening. Just want to make sure it doesn't stop at mid-point like a freedom panel.

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you seen what it looks like if you get max opening by doing what they want? Ie, rolling from the front to back? The only open photos I've seen are with the mid opening. Just want to make sure it doesn't stop at mid-point like a freedom panel.
There is one picture on their website of it Totally open but it's really impossible to tell until I get it in hand. So I'm just going to roll the dice because at the price point it would be exactly what I'm looking for. I've hunted everywhere for more detailed videos or pictures or anything and haven't been able to find anything. So I guess I get to be the guinea pig

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
There is one picture on their website of it Totally open but it's really impossible to tell until I get it in hand. So I'm just going to roll the dice because at the price point it would be exactly what I'm looking for. I've hunted everywhere for more detailed videos or pictures or anything and haven't been able to find anything. So I guess I get to be the guinea pig
Well thank you for that! :)

Reading between the lines, I think the "official" opening only opens the front section above the drivers seat. The unofficial opening has you tuck the back section under the front flip. But - hopefully I'm wrong.

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well thank you for that! :)

Reading between the lines, I think the "official" opening only opens the front section above the drivers seat. The unofficial opening has you tuck the back section under the front flip. But - hopefully I'm wrong.
That's exactly what he told me. And he said the straps they have aren't enough to hold that down for driving but you could do it. So I'm ordering some black ratchet straps and planning to give it a whirl. Need to see how it folds to make sure the wind won't rip it off but I have some ideas 🙏🤞🏼

ewc23

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave up. Install was a PITA and I realized midway thru there was zero chance I wanted to take it off/on 2x/year let alone deal with the hassle of rigging it to fold all the way up. Disappointed but moving on.

RealTruck

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Occupation
RealTruck 3rd Party Sales Representative

The key thing here is its fabric, not vinyl. Which I think you may have assumed.

So please get it so we can all benefit from your experience. Ha.
So the RR Voyager is made from the Black Diamond material which is the same material Bestop use, however, not to be confused with the Black Twill that Bestop uses, the Black Diamond is still a high quality material

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I gave up. Install was a PITA and I realized midway thru there was zero chance I wanted to take it off/on 2x/year let alone deal with the hassle of rigging it to fold all the way up. Disappointed but moving on.
That's a bummer. But also what I've thought when I've looked at the pdf instructions for other soft tops. I just don't see myself swapping this out spring/fall, and I do want the hard top in the winter here.
Sponsored