Sponsored

Anyone developing an aftermarket soft top?

Insert_Clever_Name_Here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 Jeep JKU, 2020 JT Rubicon
I'm probably buying a hard top JT tomorrow. Is the factory soft top the only option right now?
Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Going to give this a bump. I'm interested in something aftermarket as well.

ksh67

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Sport S - Ordered 8/7, delivered 9/9
I'm pretty disappointed that one of the major vendors isn't offering any full soft top options yet. I would have much preferred something from @Bestop than getting the factory top. The closer we get to spring the more it is looking like that will be my only option.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hopefully someone is listening/reading these posts and will come up with something soon.

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I am looking into having a local canvas shop make one for me. They are the OEM for Boston Whaler, so they have experience making tops. I want to use as much of the roll cage for support as possible. I also want it to fold down completely to the bed.

With the price of the factory top where it is, I don't mind spending up to 1k more to get something made that looks decent when folded down.

Whiplash2130

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F450, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Guy
I am looking into having a local canvas shop make one for me. They are the OEM for Boston Whaler, so they have experience making tops. I want to use as much of the roll cage for support as possible. I also want it to fold down completely to the bed.

With the price of the factory top where it is, I don't mind spending up to 1k more to get something made that looks decent when folded down.
Pictures when complete please!

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Please share. Hope it’s along the lines of a Trex top frameless that TJ/JKs use. Let them know that others are interested in this. Could be a business opportunity. Seems like it could be readily shipped.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Please share. Hope it’s along the lines of a Trex top frameless that TJ/JKs use. Let them know that others are interested in this. Could be a business opportunity. Seems like it could be readily shipped.
I'm basing the design off of the NAS Defender top. It used the Safari cage and an additional "hoop set" as a cross member. The gladiator will need this because there is nothing between the roll cage at the back of the cab.

I will post here when done. I could have a bunch made and shipped.

PREM202.jpg

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm basing the design off of the NAS Defender top. It used the Safari cage and an additional "hoop set" as a cross member. The gladiator will need this because there is nothing between the roll cage at the back of the cab.

I will post here when done. I could have a bunch made and shipped.

PREM202.jpg
Very cool. I'm interested if the cost is reasonable!

DISCLAIMER - I know nothing about making a soft top - just a user. Could they start with this? and then add a rear window and some provisions to help seal around the doors if needed? Maybe its one of those things where its easier just to start from scratch vs. reengineer something. Not sure.
Screen Shot 2020-02-16 at 9.41.23 AM.png

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/s...jZPUyGfnmxotGbUaaKIJ13kDG2Af4LR0aAl-dEALw_wcB

Sponsored

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
Very cool. I'm interested if the cost is reasonable!

DISCLAIMER - I know nothing about making a soft top - just a user. Could they start with this? and then add a rear window and some provisions to help seal around the doors if needed? Maybe its one of those things where its easier just to start from scratch vs. reengineer something. Not sure.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/s...jZPUyGfnmxotGbUaaKIJ13kDG2Af4LR0aAl-dEALw_wcB
This one is not weather proof. You could start with the concept of it.

The one I am thinking of won't be cheap, but it will be exactly what I want. I want the complete 'top off' look that you see in all Jeep website pics and commercials. The place by me that does canvas work is fairly expensive, but they do quality work with all top quality components. I had them make a canvas Bimini top for one of the boats and it is super tight, even when running full throttle on a windy day.

I wish I could do what others here do and remove the hard top day-to-day and use a cab cover for parking in pop up rain. My issue is that I have two houses and I would hate to have to put the hard top on when driving between them.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This one is not weather proof. You could start with the concept of it.

The one I am thinking of won't be cheap, but it will be exactly what I want. I want the complete 'top off' look that you see in all Jeep website pics and commercials. The place by me that does canvas work is fairly expensive, but they do quality work with all top quality components. I had them make a canvas Bimini top for one of the boats and it is super tight, even when running full throttle on a windy day.

I wish I could do what others here do and remove the hard top day-to-day and use a cab cover for parking in pop up rain. My issue is that I have two houses and I would hate to have to put the hard top on when driving between them.
Looks like the sailcloth one is weather proof - made from the same material as the sail cloth top, according to @Quadratec ...see below
That said, I get you - you have something in mind and are willing to pay to get it made. Maybe we can help crowdfund a small batch through the forum to help you and the maker spread some costs??
4E0FC78F-2EF1-4F72-8D22-D5D78F62CCA1.jpeg

011Crmn

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Gator
I emailed thesuntop.com and they said they had plans to develop a soft top but since they are in Italy they had to wait until later this year to physically get their hands on a Gladiator. I was told that they do have a plan on paper

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I'm pretty disappointed that one of the major vendors isn't offering any full soft top options yet. I would have much preferred something from @Bestop than getting the factory top. The closer we get to spring the more it is looking like that will be my only option.
Bestop makes the factory top
Sponsored