First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
I have a decided to install a Anderson system for my 16' Caravel (2021). Seems like the best unit for my light weight Caravel (4,300 Max GVW & 500+ hitch weight)

Towing with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. (Max GVW 5,800 lbs) Actual weight on Cat Scales 4,800 lbs, no drivers, cargo but with full tank of fuel. So only a 1,000 lbs for people, cargo, actual hitch weight and tung weight. Anderson's weight is 60 lbs instead of 100+ lbs for other systems.

QUESTION: I also have Firestone Air Bags inside the real coil springs. Helps with the stability of the Gladiator Overland with rather weak/soft rear coil springs.

Other hitches suggest in the install of the hitch, when having air bags, is to just set a 5-10 lbs while installing and setting up the system. Than after that is done raise the pressure on the air bags to around 20-30 lbs. Enough to still have them steady the load, but not enough to transfer any weight to the front wheels.

I may need to tow 16' Airstream from Fort Myers, FL to Stuart, Fl "on the hitch" as I may not have the Anderson in time. Anyone have any issues with that? Will have the air bags installed for the on the hitch drive. It is about a 2.5 hour drive just on smooth 2 lane roads with little traffic all the way.

Thanks to any who might have an opinion on Air Bags and the Anderson.

Bob
Sponsored

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
I have a decided to install a Anderson system for my 16' Caravel (2021). Seems like the best unit for my light weight Caravel (4,300 Max GVW & 500+ hitch weight)

Towing with a 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. (Max GVW 5,800 lbs) Actual weight on Cat Scales 4,800 lbs, no drivers, cargo but with full tank of fuel. So only a 1,000 lbs for people, cargo, actual hitch weight and tung weight. Anderson's weight is 60 lbs instead of 100+ lbs for other systems.

QUESTION: I also have Firestone Air Bags inside the real coil springs. Helps with the stability of the Gladiator Overland with rather weak/soft rear coil springs.

Other hitches suggest in the install of the hitch, when having air bags, is to just set a 5-10 lbs while installing and setting up the system. Than after that is done raise the pressure on the air bags to around 20-30 lbs. Enough to still have them steady the load, but not enough to transfer any weight to the front wheels.

I may need to tow 16' Airstream from Fort Myers, FL to Stuart, Fl "on the hitch" as I may not have the Anderson in time. Anyone have any issues with that? Will have the air bags installed for the on the hitch drive. It is about a 2.5 hour drive just on smooth 2 lane roads with little traffic all the way.

Thanks to any who might have an opinion on Air Bags and the Anderson.

Bob
I would not be worried about pulling this without the sway bar for one trip but just drive smart, plenty of distance between you and the one in front and slow down when big rigs come up on you. Cross wind, cross wind from big rigs, hard breaking, too much weight in the back of the trailer seem to be triggers for sway from what I understand.
In my opinion, you will always run out of payload before tow capacity, and looks like you are watching that payload. You will have about 1000 lbs of payload to play with from what I read here (also shown on your door jamb, but Cat Scale is best), your tongue weight looks to be in the 550 range, so you have 450 for you, passengers and gear. You will have plenty of pull power, you will be under payload, now just make sure you have a break controller to help slow it down. Break controller can help with sway too should you experience it, I have not but from what I understand if you have a break controller with the manual increase within reach (I do not, just the curt echo, but I tow light), just hit the trailer breaks and it should help with the sway.
However with this small of an Airstream doubt you will have any sway, don't put too much weight in the camper behind the axle.
Anderson is a good choice once you get it in my opinion, it will give you Weight dist and anti-sway for little cost off that payload number.
Enjoy, nice rig!

OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
Thanks for the info. Yes, the door sticker shows 1,035 of payload. On the Cat Scale showed I had a weight with full tank of gas and no one in the Overland, at 4.800 lbs, GVWR of Overland is 5,800 lbs. That missing 35 lbs I bet is the thick rubber bed mat I installed. :)

I am also going to use the Curt Echo. But I thought that you could push the red circle on the App on your phone and it would put the breaks on the trailer to take out the sway?

TAke care, Bob

NGNERD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 LE Gladiator Rubicon GCM
Thanks for the info. Yes, the door sticker shows 1,035 of payload. On the Cat Scale showed I had a weight with full tank of gas and no one in the Overland, at 4.800 lbs, GVWR of Overland is 5,800 lbs. That missing 35 lbs I bet is the thick rubber bed mat I installed. :)

I am also going to use the Curt Echo. But I thought that you could push the red circle on the App on your phone and it would put the breaks on the trailer to take out the sway?

TAke care, Bob
Yes, the curt echo will do that, sorry, I just do not have confidence in myself having that screen open and ready to hit that red circle in that instant :) but if you are prepared and have it open, then yes, it should work well.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security

TAke care, Bob
Get a redarc. After having to use the button on my Redarc the idea of relying on an app being open and available honestly scares me.

Also if you can I strongly recommend having the Anderson in place. From the few videos I have watched air bags only can technically worsen the weight on the vehicle. With a WDH makes perfect sense though given how light the springs are.

Sponsored

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Hi Everyone,

I just got my 2021 JT Overland Eco Diesel this month. We bought the rig to tow a 2012 16" airstream trailer - the exact same weight requirements as Bob needs so I figured this is a good time to share what I've found. I've tow a number of different trailers in my day from monster tractor trailer flatbeds with large equipment to tiny ones I could almost pick up by myself. Done right it can be very satisfying.

We mothballed the trailer for winter the week before getting the Jeep so no real world examples yet. We did do the math and we will have a 4300lbs GTW trailer with ~500lbs TW - well under the max towing rating of 6000lbs. Truck has 1209LBS cargo max giving a GVWR at 6350lbs - my total weight will max out at about 10,650lbs. I will certainly know the trailer is there but well within safety limits.

I will be using a combination of airbags and weight distribution hitch.
The airbags help smooth out the flutter - that constant up and down will get to ya.
I could do without the air bags but not the WDH. Get one with the sway control bars - you will be happy you did.
Here is a good link on those hitches:
These guys (Fastway engineers Jason Harper and Matt Barnes) did a great job showing what airbags can and cannot do for you how weight can be distributed:

Curt manufacturing also has some good articles in their knowledgebase section.
https://www.curtmfg.com
https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity

Couple of things to keep in mind -
Always properly load the trailer. The ~15% tongue to total trailer weight is a good thing. Here is what can happed if done incorrectly:

No modifications you do to your truck will legally increase your ability to carry more weight. Overloading is unsafe and in some places can get you a hefty fine.

Safe travels

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
One more thing - and this is more of a question.
If you go to the Jeep Gladiator site (https://www.jeep.com/gladiator.html)and scroll down a little you see the truck pulling a dual axle airstream - photo attached. Can someone tell me how the math works out? LOL
Jeep Gladiator Air Bags and Towing Airstream 16' Screen 2020-11-27 at FriNov 27, 7.50.01 PM

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
Great Info. We pick up our 16' Caravel on Monday 7. Have loaded the Gladiator Overland with the type of equipment I would be carrying on a camping trip. Will go on a "CAT" scale with 2 people + Gear + Dog + full fuel and see where my actual weight comes in at. For each axle and grand total.

Will take tongue weight using a scale made for this at the dealer. Then, will take loaded rig to the Cat Scale and see where I come out at. I think I may exceed GVWR of the Overland by 100 lbs, still way under front and rear axle capacity, Trailer wight even at max 4,300 lbs will be under the allowed 6,000 pounds and hitch weight should below the 600 lbs allowed. I think somewhere in the 550 lbs range.

I will start out with a "tow on the ball" concept with Firestone air bags in rear coils. I know they will not act as weight distribution, but will help in the ups and down of the weak springs in the Overland.

I know being over GVWR for the Gladiator could get me a ticket. I will try and move some of the items out of the bed of the Gladiator to the trailer without changing the 12-15% tongue weight.

Info coming next week.

Bob

Bob

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Thats great Bob.
Sounds like your setup will be almost exactly what mine is(will) be. 16' Airstream is mothballed for New England winter. I'm going to Lowes tomorrow and getting 500lbs of concrete blocks for a wall Im building and figure good time to see what the back end feels like when loaded up.

I know the numbers will be close... but it will work out

Sponsored

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Figure I would load up the back and see how it handles the load.
Put 15/32lb concrete blocks in the back. Est weight 480lbs - maybe 440 at the ball.
This is about what I expect the airstream to be at for TW.
Took measurements before and after.
The front lifted 1/8" and the back dropped 1 1/4".
Less change than I expected but did notice a slight softness in the steering. Tracked ok.
I figure the WDH will be able to level it out.
Honestly don't think air bags would make enough of a difference to bother.
Cant use them with the WDH anyway.

Jeep Gladiator Air Bags and Towing Airstream 16' IMG_013952.JPG

OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
Might Might is now REAL

A few notes on my pick up of a new 16' Caravel
I did pickup my new Caravel 16' with the Jeep Gladiator Overland on Dec 7th in Fort Meyers FL. Traveled back to Stuart, FL stopping at 2 of the Army Core of Engineers sties at the locks coming out of Lake Okeechobee. Super neat sites !! BIG spaces and only $30.00 per night including ELC and Water. $15.00 if you have a SR life pass.

More details coming about weights, etc as soon as I can get to it. A few here.

1. From last Army Core site directly to Stuart, no stops, 162 miles averaged 15.4 MPG (Note: perfectly flat 2 lane roads, speeds between 50-60 mostly 55. 35 going thru a few towns along the way.

2. Towing "on the ball" with no issues what so ever. I would consider a very good trip. Air bags in rear springs with 20lbs of air. Had a few tractor trailers zipping past me at 65+ MPH and easily handled a light sway on a skinny 2 lane road. Speed limit was 55 MPH, which I was doing. Still need to get on the FL Turnpike or I-95 to really judge whether I can continue with towing "on the ball" with no Load Equalizing or Sway control devise.

3. Four Inch drop on the hitch had the trailer and Jeep perfectly level.

4. I was surprised that the tongue weight was 560 lbs. 25% water - NO Black-Gray water - few camping items in trailer, nothing in Frig., nothing in rear storage under bed, One full 20 lb tank of Propane and one at 75%. 90 W Solar System with AGM batteries.

5. Actual empty weight (full propane tanks) coming off the production, on the Federal sticker was 3482 lbs.

6. I really found that the pickup bed on the Gladiator was a God send to store many items that would have ended in the trailer storage places. I got 6 large "RED TOP" Craftsmen (Lowes) storage bins that exactly fit in height so that I could close the folding bed top of the Gladiator. They also filled all the space in the bed. I used each bin as a storage space for specific items. Items such as Honda Gen set, Airstream Weber Gril, Anderson leveling plastic pads, folding chairs, 4' folding table, electrical pig tails, hoses, surge protector, tools, air pump for the lift bags, etc .....

7. Curt ECHO wireless break controller really worked great. EASY set up and good APP.

More detail numbers on Gladiator Axel weights, Gladiator GVW with items in pickup bed-2 people & Dog-full fuel, tongue weight. Trailer GVW ready to go camping for 2 weeks.

Bob

Attachments

Overland-2021

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
Thanks for all that Bob,

So you took the entire 4" drop with the air bags, had just about max weight on the back of the truck and it still pulled fine... nice!
Be interesting to take that setup to a truck stop scale and see the balance.
I have a very heavy battery in front of my tanks - thinking of moving it under the table inside just to move that weight back... we will see.

Happy Camping!!

OP
OP

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Reitired
Sorry, with the statement, a 4" drop, I meant the Ball was mounted on a 4" drop from the receiver. With 20 lbs in the bags (could go to 70 lbs) and the 16' Airstream mounted on ball, both the Gladiator and the trailer were perfectly level. Will have additional numbers this weekend. Bob
Sponsored