Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well around noon the brown truck made a stop at my place with a few boxes. So I ate lunch and started with the install of Air Lift 1000 kit. I started with remembering how to videos said to flatten the air bags first and then skip the removal of springs, shocks and bunch of stuff "Airbag mfg. instructions".
I used the E-Trailer video method and others. (My added part) "place in 4WD block front tires in place before starting the rest of install".
Lower spare tire, remove spare tire heat shield, jack up tires off ground, set frame on jack stand(s) leaving back tires in air. Install spacer on top prop up at top of spring air line sticking though hole with raised ring on top with a flat piece of something (thin aluminum or a ruler). Fight the air bag into the spring, position it and connect air line and clip. Repeat on other side the tailpipe will be in your way some what. The right side went fairly easy the left not so much. I had to connect the air line and inflate the bag a few psi to pop it fully in place. Install air line fill valves in choice location. Now reinstall heat shield, lower vehicle off jack stands, reinstall spare tire. Hope that you didn't kink airlines or have a leaking airbag (s) All of this was done on my gravel driveway that's not near level. 😣 Three or four hours later job done. Aired bags to 28 psi ride back to almost unloaded level in back.
Check for air leaks before reinstall of heat shield or spare tire and lower vehicle.
Test drive, good to go so far. Recheck air pressure after 24 hours... I hope no air loss.😳
I planned on installing the fill point by the fuel cap area but decided to mount next to rear license plate after seeing how much more of a pain it would be. Would I do it again yes as of now now later on I'm thinking about a 2 in spacers lift still. That will be interesting locating a set of spacers for the air bags too.. hopefully the Auto craft shop will be open for that install.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blade1668

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I hope that this helps anyone else thinking about installing the Air bags, an after though on kits I think the Firestone kit might be a better kit for heavy loads. If I have a failure the Firestone bags will possibly be the replacement bags or 1000HD for a Dodge P/U. Choice #2 Clayton lift springs (lift kit)

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I installed the Airlift bags in my JTR and am happy with the results. I had a set of the 5000# bags on my F-350 for years and they have never failed me as well

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I installed Airlift bags using the Ram HD bags. Mainly because I help tow my dad's tractor and wanted the support. But it helps with the camper and ATV trailer as well. I've had them on for over 29,000 miles now and I'm happy with the results.

OP
OP
Blade1668

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've been driving with them at 28psi for a few days now, I really like it so far. The ride is about back to what it was without the topper on it.

Sponsored

stratia69

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I installed Airlift bags using the Ram HD bags. Mainly because I help tow my dad's tractor and wanted the support. But it helps with the camper and ATV trailer as well. I've had them on for over 29,000 miles now and I'm happy with the results.
Which model did you use? 19+ Ram? Was considering the HDs because I was curious if the 1000's were designed for stock height vs lifted rigs or would the HD's be taller for lifted.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Which model did you use? 19+ Ram? Was considering the HDs because I was curious if the 1000's were designed for stock height vs lifted rigs or would the HD's be taller for lifted.
I used the 2009-2018 Ram bags. They're longer than the ones for the JT which makes them perfect for anything 2.5" Lift and under. They make work on a 3.5". Not sure though.

Here's the link: Air Lift 60818HD Air Lift 1000 HD... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKXP1BW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

stratia69

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info, I have 2.5" EVO overland plus lift, reading a lot about these. WHat about spacers, did they come with some or what did you do?
No problem. They all come with spacers. The spacers actually protect the connection on the bag and the hose. But, I do believe some come with different size spacers. Not 100% correct. But looking at pictures it seems like the Ram bags that I have utilize thicker spacers than the JT. And I have heard (don't know if it's safe or effective) that some have stacked the spacers. So if you want to try, that may be an option.
Sponsored