First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The part where I said they won’t limit anything addressed that. The bumpstops are there to prevent coul binding the springs and they touch before the bags get in the way.
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Great, thanks for the answers and clarification! This sounds like a cheap no-brainer upgrade.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’ve been told by two separate notable shops that I’m better off running Coilovers in the rear than airbags for my specific use case.

Do Coilovers work like the teraflex tow haul kit I put in my F150?
I’m wondering how hard it is to adjust them

Sponsored

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
Pulling a 6000 lb trailer frequently, on and off road with the WDH only being used on road
You're better off with the airbags. Especially being frequently, the convenience of lowering and airing up the airbags vs setting your preload on the coilovers is a no brainer!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I agree with that.

I have onboard air, so I have it even easier.

gsxr310

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR & JTR
Ya.. I’m running king coil-overs on my JL and the only time I adjusted them was when I was dialing in my ride height.. and on top of that, jacking the vehicle up to loosen the load on the coils. That would be a headache for me if I was towing and unloading and repeating the process frequently.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
I had a TJ with a long arm kit and an air bag suspension but they were more like 18 wheeler airbags not the kind to supplement towing. I dont remember the company but it was about $5k for that suspension almost 20 years ago

I thought perhaps preload on Coilovers did or had the option to adjust like a falcon shocks with a knob.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The only issue that I have noticed while towing with a lot of air in the bags and while driving empty with just 5lbs in the bags is the rear suspension damping. The rear end is a little bouncy for the new spring rate. I’m not sure if the Fox shows on the Mopar kit can be revalved or not but it is needed to slow the rebound up some. It’s not a dangerous situation but it is present making it more of a drivability or comfort issue.

Sponsored

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
Just installed these last night. They were originally spec'd for a 2011 Suburban so we'll see how they work. The bags themselves are the same specs as the Airlift Gladiator Kit but the spacer is only 1/2" tall (looks like the spacer in the OP's pic was about 1-1/2" or larger). Inflated to 5-6psi now and they're surprisingly tight to the inside of the springs. But, like TenesseePA said, they can still move up and down within the springs easily enough. If I had to guess, there's at least 4" or more between the top of the bag and the top of the spring. Going to load up a trailer this weekend and see if there's compression enough to even utilize these bags and may have to fabricate a bigger spacer. Will post pics of the JT pre-Airlift and post-Airlift.

IMG_7417.JPG

IMG_7410.JPG

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
On some videos of airbags I’ve seen they advise to remove that blue spring isolator

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting in hearing this as well, @TennesseePA you said the Ram HD kit had 2" taller bags than the Gladiator and you used those bags from the Ram kit and the spacers from the Gladiator kit, is that correct? Just wondering if that means I'd have to someone order the Ram HD kit and then try to get just the spacers from the gladiator kit.

Last edited:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Interesting in hearing this as well, @TennesseePA you said the Ram HD kit had 2" taller bags than the Gladiator and you used those bags from the Ram kit and the spacers from the Gladiator kit, is that correct? Just wondering if that means I'd have to someone order the Ram HD kit and then try to get just the spacers from the gladiator kit.
Yes this is the route I took and it seems to be working.
When I said there was still a little wiggle room I meant only room to wiggle. The gap between the top of my spacers and the spring seat was only about 1/4-1/2 inch. When I but my battery box and cooler in the truck bed and inflated to 5 lbs that gap was gone. The spacer with the Gladiator kit is at least two inches tall so running it without any kind of spacer at all seems like a bad idea to me.
Sponsored