Sponsored

Anyone install rear air bags to help prevent squatting while towing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The problem that I am having is getting Airlift to tell me what bag I need. When I contacted them they said that they would need the inside diameter of the spring and the length inside the spring. The problem is that they don’t have any bags long enough to work so I watched the install video and saw that the stock kit requires a spacer to work. If they could even tell me the length of the stock kit one could reasonably assume that a bag that measures 2 inches longer would fit. But I cannot even get that from them. They would already be installed in my Gladiator if they would answer my questions.
Sponsored

BreakFixRepeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is that bags are a little more complicated for a vehicle thats intended to take off road. You need a bag thats not going to inhibit the travel of the suspension. If the air lift bags need a spacer to work then they are most likely going to inhibit travel quite a bit in both directions. Hard for air lift to recommend something that your going to break the first time you go off road. Then your gonna be mad at them over that and want a refund because their recommended product did not hold up. And you may not take your jeep off road. But they cant look at the situation like that.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The thing is that bags are a little more complicated for a vehicle thats intended to take off road. You need a bag thats not going to inhibit the travel of the suspension. If the air lift bags need a spacer to work then they are most likely going to inhibit travel quite a bit in both directions. Hard for air lift to recommend something that your going to break the first time you go off road. Then your gonna be mad at them over that and want a refund because their recommended product did not hold up. And you may not take your jeep off road. But they cant look at the situation like that.
Yes but like I explained in my post they already sell a Gladiator specific kit for standard height trucks. I went to a dealer to get reference measurements and they do not offer a stock Gladiator length air spring either...that's why the kit they already sell has a spacer. If I knew the length of the bag for the stock Gladiator I could pick the bag that is long enough in the build your own section.

Gladius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Air bags aren't recommended to be used with a WD hitch. I had airbags on my Tacoma and liked it when loaded with 600 lb. camper and towing a 2500 lb. trailer and no WDH, except with all the weight on the rear the and no WDH the front end would tend to "hop" on concrete freeway slabs so I lowered the air pressure in the front tires to reduce the hop. When I got my 4000 lb. travel trailer I had a ZR2 Colorado, I switched to the Equalizer and didn't need air bags. Without the WDH the trailer caused the ZR2 to sag 4" in the back and raised the front an inch. With the WDH the rear only dropped 1" and the front remained stock height. Without the Equalizer the trailer would rock side to side going over rough roads (not trailer sway) and the WDH reduced that too.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
858156F1-647C-4461-928E-9F4B45A0B1DA.jpeg
I installed airlift 60830 airbags on my Rubicon today. The spacer that came with the kit measured 1 3/8’.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Boss Hog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L, 2014 Toyota 4Runner, 2010 Ram 3500 Mega Cab
Occupation
Trapper
I installed the same kit on my Sport S. My JT is lifted 3.5" which took the rake away and leveled it. Hauling 500 lb of corn squatted it pretty good. My problem was the spacers plugged the top hole the airlines were supposed to pass through. I called Airlift and ask what would happen if I installed upside down. They advised that wasn't a problem as long as I put the spacer on the bottom. Install was a breeze not following instructions. I never removed the springs. After installing I thought there's no way it will work once the springs flex. I have a nice ditch here and I crossed it six or seven times really flexing the suspension trying to tear them up. I didn't. As for my use they are holding up and doing the job.

LidLess07X

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Recon, 2001 TJ Sport, 2018 Mustang GT PP1 with Roush S.C.
### SOLD SOLD SOLD ### Sold to Tennesee PA great Buyer

I have a brand new set that I decided not to install

$60 shipped

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I installed the same kit on my Sport S. My JT is lifted 3.5" which took the rake away and leveled it. Hauling 500 lb of corn squatted it pretty good. My problem was the spacers plugged the top hole the airlines were supposed to pass through. I called Airlift and ask what would happen if I installed upside down. They advised that wasn't a problem as long as I put the spacer on the bottom. Install was a breeze not following instructions. I never removed the springs. After installing I thought there's no way it will work once the springs flex. I have a nice ditch here and I crossed it six or seven times really flexing the suspension trying to tear them up. I didn't. As for my use they are holding up and doing the job.
I have contacted them multiple times about what kit I need for my Rubicon with the Mopar lift and they have no clue what I need to order. would you happen to have the part numbers for the components you installed in your JT?

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
The part number I used for my un-lifted Rubicon is Airlift 60830.

Boss Hog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2018 Ram 2500 6.4L, 2014 Toyota 4Runner, 2010 Ram 3500 Mega Cab
Occupation
Trapper
60830 is the part number for the kit I installed too. My lift is a spacer lift so the stock springs were used. I may be wrong but I think the Mopar lift is a spring lift (your stock springs are replaced with longer springs). If I'm right the part number above wouldn't work. You'll need a kit with a longer bag, thicker spacer or both. Maybe someone on here that knows more than me will chime in.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I am of the same opinion as you. I didn’t realize you were running a spacer lift. I’ll keep digging I guess.

Boss Hog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Trapper

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
My rubicon squats a little more than I want with my 4700 lb travel trailer and I am adding airbags. Should arrive next week so will report back.
add photos of install too please

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant

Freshtracks

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020, Jeep TJ sport 1998, Jeep TJ sport 2002, Jeep JK 2015
Yeah I have tried that but it doesn’t help because a stock Gladiator has a bag and a spacer. The best info I have gotten was the measurement of the spacer.
Hi so I just received my gladiator and had the dealer install the air bags before I picked it up, however they didn’t give me the manual for the airbags, I’m loading it up and I’d like to know the air pressures, I’ve never had airbags before!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.