Sponsored

Alright, whose gladiator and what's the story?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
… As in lawsuit against the driver or manufacture? I could see responsibility on both sides here.
Sponsored

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Maximum weight with improper weight distribution and fish tailing can be a hell of a drug.

Especially if the driver was new to trailers and reacted badly to the trailer fishtailing.

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
… As in lawsuit against the driver or manufacture? I could see responsibility on both sides here.
Can't see how Jeep can be liable, everything is spelled out in the owner's manual as far as the Jeep's capabilities and how to safely tow with the Gladiator.

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
This is not playing well in other media.

Jeep better get the answer here or alot of bad things will start brewing.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
How do we know he didn't swerve to miss something or get cut off entering the construction zone? Everyone is assuming the trailer fish tailed due to overload but I find it somewhat unlikely due to being a construction zone where speeds are lower and sway not usually an issue. I'm guessing some kind of traffic incident or not leaving enough space in front. In any case I see no damage so looks like the truck/ trailer will continue on. This is textbook mountain out of a mole hill.

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit
The problem in that video is pretty obvious...they're trying to tow with a Mustang! :giggle:

WildJD

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Santa Fe National Forest, Jemez Mountains, NM
Vehicle(s)
2020 GCM Gladiator JT Launch Edition, 2006 Wrangler TJ 4x4 4.0 Liter Straight 6 Golden Eagle, 2018 Cherokee 4x4 3.2 Liter V6 Latitude
Occupation
Mountain Wilderness Rancher/Horse Guide
Not necessarily. My old toy hauler weighed (on a scale) in at 7k with a rhino, 2 quads and full fresh water tank. This one looks about the same size.

But I’d venture no weight distribution hitch the way the vehicle is twisted relative to trailer. And probably no brake controller either. Which probably points to an inexperienced person behind the wheel...

ECAA1E22-0F6E-43FF-8950-0C80329F26C6.jpeg
Trailer sway (fishtailing) can easily panic a novice tower, resulting in overcompensating corrections, exacerbating the fishtailing... rather than calmly driving the trailer through the sway, and allowing it to straighten back out again. On my back and forths crossing the country, I’ve come across too many late night accidents, involving overloaded Uhaul trailers. Always the same story from the driver... “...it was towing fine, for hours, then out of the blue started fishtailing...” more likely started when driver (getting tired) made a sharp correction and started the trailer swaying... combine that with too heavy, probably no swaybars, no brake, novice tower... and “Houston we have a problem!” ;{

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Does the tow package not come with a brake controller?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Here's what hit my mind first time I saw those pics a month ago:

Who camps alone with a camper that big?

Nobody? Well then he was massively overloaded because a Rubicon with a family inside will typically be limited to <4,000 lbs. towing legally due to it's payload rating.

So my guess is, this guy is in serious trouble with the insurance company and he's lucky the only vehicle with damage was his.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Here's what hit my mind first time I saw those pics a month ago:

Who camps alone with a camper that big?

Nobody? Well then he was massively overloaded because a Rubicon with a family inside will typically be limited to <4,000 lbs. towing legally due to it's payload rating.

So my guess is, this guy is in serious trouble with the insurance company and he's lucky the only vehicle with damage was his.

With a properly configured wd hitch, you can haul around 350lbs cargo at the 7000lbs tow limit as you'll bump up against the gcwr above that, even though you'll still be 100lbs or so below the gvwr. With a 5000lbs trailer, which is typical for trailers that size, you can haul around 750-800lbs cargo before you hit gvwr, which should cover a family of 4 pretty easily. A wd hitch pushes ~1/3 of the tongue weight back on the trailer, so reduces the net weight of the vehicle - in the case of a Rubicon towing 5000lbs, that gives 350‐400lbs payload used out of 1150. That does presume a properly setup hitch, who knows in this case.

ronvanb

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Realtor
Jeep Gladiator Alright, whose gladiator and what's the story? D86C6E8C-2644-415C-8FFA-C53A19D20CA6

Here is the trailer I tow. It is loaded correctly and I use the tekonsha Prodigy RF brake controller. My gladiator is a diesel and tows like a charm!! In this picture the trailer with load is probably 4000 to 4500 lbs.