First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Did it bother you at all that they are two piece vs just one piece. How it has that aluminum piece behind the trail rail?
Honestly I forgot that they were 2-piece until you mentioned it. I installed them 2 years ago with the Rebel Xplor rack and didn't even remember. They have held up just fine and I've had no complaints...even with the 2-piece design :) I wanted to order everything at once to complete the project and at that time they were way cheaper than OEM. With more options/price points on the market today I'd say choose what you like the best as you will need something back there.

Also, out of pure curiosity, can I ask about your "deliberations" behind considering the RSI vs the AluCab? I know you ended up going with the AluCab but what about the RSI made it a close competitor to you? IF you don't mind sharing :)

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Honestly I forgot that they were 2-piece until you mentioned it. I installed them 2 years ago with the Rebel Xplor rack and didn't even remember. They have held up just fine and I've had no complaints...even with the 2-piece design :) I wanted to order everything at once to complete the project and at that time they were way cheaper than OEM. With more options/price points on the market today I'd say choose what you like the best as you will need something back there.

Also, out of pure curiosity, can I ask about your "deliberations" behind considering the RSI vs the AluCab? I know you ended up going with the AluCab but what about the RSI made it a close competitor to you? IF you don't mind sharing :)
I personally like the rsi’s looks on the evoA the most. I think the lines flow better. Maybe it’s just from camera angles when ppl take pics but the alu cab it looks wonky in some configurations like the dimensions aren’t proportional. I think if the roof of the alu cab sat at the same height as the cab of the truck it wood look fine, but that inch or two higher I think throws me off. So that was my biggest dilemma which has taken me so long. Obviously I don’t think it looks bad since I’m buying one lol I still like the looks. But something was throwing me off. But the main reason that swayed me over was that I have dogs. I wanted the sliding windows. But I hate the looks of rsi’s evo sport with all glass sides. But with rsi that is the only way you get the sliding windows. And with going wheeling I would hate to get body damage knock on wood and shatter that entire window. With the alu cabs windows not taking up the entire side side panel and just really the slide part was my final decision. In addition being only 125lbs and one piece vs modular (having to possibly retighten all those bolts one day and more seals that could eventually leak) was a huge plus to me.

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
I personally like the rsi’s looks on the evoA the most. I think the lines flow better. Maybe it’s just from camera angles when ppl take pics but the alu cab it looks wonky in some configurations like the dimensions aren’t proportional. I think if the roof of the alu cab sat at the same height as the cab of the truck it wood look fine, but that inch or two higher I think throws me off. So that was my biggest dilemma which has taken me so long. Obviously I don’t think it looks bad since I’m buying one lol I still like the looks. But something was throwing me off. But the main reason that swayed me over was that I have dogs. I wanted the sliding windows. But I hate the looks of rsi’s evo sport with all glass sides. But with rsi that is the only way you get the sliding windows. And with going wheeling I would hate to get body damage knock on wood and shatter that entire window. With the alu cabs windows not taking up the entire side side panel and just really the slide part was my final decision. In addition being only 125lbs and one piece vs modular (having to possibly retighten all those bolts one day and more seals that could eventually leak) was a huge plus to me.
Not to mention you can actually get an Alu-cab… can’t say the same for rsi. (Had my order delayed almost a year before I gave up and bought my Alu-cab.)

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I personally like the rsi’s looks on the evoA the most. I think the lines flow better. I think if the roof of the alu cab sat at the same height as the cab of the truck it wood look fine, but that inch or two higher I think throws me off.
Thanks for sharing! I understand completely that form is equally important to function :) In terms of the cap height, I assume that it sits slightly taller due to AluCab's method of mounting their RTT. AluCab offers "low profile" mounting feet that attaches the AluCab load bars directly to the top of the cap. I can tell you from experience that these low-profile mounts + RTT put everything in close proximity to the Jeep's hardtop. If the Contour was the same height as the hardtop you'd have interference issues with mounting long, overhanging objects with the low-profile feet. You could use the standard mounting feet though to raise it enough, but then you wouldn't look cool...haha j/k. Just food for thought.

Sponsored

OP
OP
darkhorse13

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
In addition being only 125lbs and one piece vs modular (having to possibly retighten all those bolts one day and more seals that could eventually leak) was a huge plus to me.
This is where the AluCab is the big winner for me as well.

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Sponsored

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Jeep Gladiator Alu-Cab Contour Canopy Roll Call - not Camper 989636F9-945A-4C7B-ACF0-194B1A1DF8F3

Finally the day has come to get my cap on, I’m really excited with how it turned out. We’ll be scooting the Ikamper back a bit more, but other than that it worked great. Glad that the platform rack from my cancelled RSI SmartCap order still worked out!

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
@clweed I installed the rails two days ago, they are very well built and sturdy. Did you torque your bolts down or just hand tight? I emailed them, but have not heard back yet. They were moving locations this week.

clweed

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator

JeeperFIN

First Name
Jukka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JT
I am going to mount the KC flex era 1 lights where you have yours mounted, How did run the wiring ? Did you drill a hole in the canopy?
wires are now tucked in to the rails and run down front of the canopy. Maybe later i will drill holes for the wires
Sponsored