Amp Research Power step and XL confusion

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude Diesel
I’m looking to purchase a Power step XL, but I’m getting conflicting information. I’m going to put this on a non-lifted High Altitude. I really like the rock slider look of the XL.

From what I can find, the normal power step drops 7 inches when you open the door. I also found through searching that the XL gives you an additional 4 inch drop, or by my calculations, a 11 inch drop when opening the doors.

I talked with someone via chat at RealTruck, and she said that the XL has a 15 inch drop with doors open. I don’t know what the real numbers are.

Does anyone on this forum have the regular or XL and can give me the measurement of the drop?

Thanks for your assistance,

Tom
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would be on the phone with the manufacturer to get the facts. Then I would be searching for the best price and lowest shipping cost.

One of the problems with asking Sales Representatives is you are relying on their understanding and interpretation of the manufacturers posted information. Contacting the manufacturer gives you the hope of getting a correct answer on the first try.

Warped

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JT Mojave, '23 GC Summit Reserve,'23 AEV JL370
Build Thread
Link
Just had the XL installed on my stock Mojave. I believe the XL is 3" lower, and about a 10" drop, but I did not actually measure. Either way, they will work great on your stock truck, or a lifted JT with 37s. However, if you do plan on taking it off-road, consider the Rockslide Engineering steps. I use them on my JL370 and previous JLUR.

@Mr._Bill Amp-Research was owned by Lund, then RealTruck purchased Lund. RealTruck, like them or not, owns a ton of well-known brands, Our Brands | RealTruck .

OP
OP
Tom C

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got this reply from RealTruck

" the AMP Research PowerStep XL drop about 15". The running board drops from the rock rail with at about 12" and the rock rail adds about 3". Tech warns that for a completely stock vehicle, these may drop too low."

I don't know what to think.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I got this reply from RealTruck

" the AMP Research PowerStep XL drop about 15". The running board drops from the rock rail with at about 12" and the rock rail adds about 3". Tech warns that for a completely stock vehicle, these may drop too low."

I don't know what to think.
Just from reading what has been posted here, I would guess the XL version is not a good choice for a stock height vehicle.

OP
OP
Tom C

Tom C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RealTruck replied with “13.25 Inch drop. This is a measurement from roughly the top of the door sill to the top of the running board.”

If I’m looking at the measurement correctly, the XL might still work. When I measure the hight of the front door sill, it measures right at 23 inches. The rear passenger door measures right at 24 inches. If it drops 13.25 inches from the door sill, that’s still 10 inches off the ground front, 11 inches rear. I currently place an 8.25 inch step from Harbor Freight on the ground for getting in.

I’ve attached photos to confirm my thoughts. What do you guys think?

First Photo- Front Door Sill
2nd Photo - Rear Door Sill
3rd Photo - Harbor Freight Step

Jeep Gladiator Amp Research Power step and XL confusion IMG_0474

Jeep Gladiator Amp Research Power step and XL confusion IMG_0480

Jeep Gladiator Amp Research Power step and XL confusion IMG_0476
Sponsored