Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
A quick search shows 2 2020 Sport S's for sale in his area (both with low miles) at dealerships for $42K original MSRP on a Sport S was $33,545. Yes, there is a chance that it is worth more now then what he paid for it.
Gupton right now is showing a silver 2022 Sport S for $41,249 and a black one for $43,700
Like you said, today's prices have skyrocketed, which has caused used vehicles and equipment to follow suit. I have 67 pieces of rolling equipment that are worth the same or more than they were in 2020. New prices on equipment have jumped 30% or more.

@Midnight Rider let's hope that it is not totaled, but if it is some quick research should put you in a halfway decent position. It might not be a bad idea to do some research today on prices etc. before the end of season sales really start to kick in. Yes, it is worth looking out of the area to buy a replacement. It is often cheaper to travel than to buy local, and you get the adventure. We bought a specialty van for $20K less than I could find one local, but it was a day's drive away. For $20K, I found time to go get it.
In the market today there isn't a chance it's worth more than what he bought it for and no one paid $33,545 for a new sport s in 2020. You would of been lucky to find a Sport S for under $41,000 in 2020. MSRP isn't adding dealer ad ons which normal add about $10,000 to the price of most vehicles. Then you got to add in the mileage depreciation.

KBB has the Value with 40,000 miles on one at between $33,000 and $35,000 with Standard equipment
Sponsored

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Damn that sucks, but most importantly you are ok. Visibly the damage doesn’t look terrible but it all depends on how much is damaged underneath and if the frame is bent. One recent lesson learned for me, if their insurance is difficult just punt to your insurance company and let them fight it out. I just went through a two month long saga of dealing with USAA when my teenage daughter was rear ended at a stoplight (their fault), in hindsight I should have just let my insurance deal with it. Also eff USAA, freaking incompetent lying dirtbags are the worst insurance company that I have ever dealt with.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
In the market today there isn't a chance it's worth more than what he bought it for and no one paid $33,545 for a new sport s in 2020. You would of been lucky to find a Sport S for under $41,000 in 2020. MSRP isn't adding dealer ad ons which normal add about $10,000 to the price of most vehicles. Then you got to add in the mileage depreciation.

KBB has the Value with 40,000 miles on one at between $33,000 and $35,000 with Standard equipment
Yes, sometimes I forget that I am the only one who paid below MSRP in 2020 when they couldn't give away trucks at 0% financing with 'Employee discounts' etc.....
I know what KBB has, my point is that if it comes to it and he fights, he can get more than what they initially offer. That coupled with some strong incentives out there still, someone in his position might not fair as badly as he thinks.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, sometimes I forget that I am the only one who paid below MSRP in 2020 when they couldn't give away trucks at 0% financing with 'Employee discounts' etc.....
I know what KBB has, my point is that if it comes to it and he fights, he can get more than what they initially offer. That coupled with some strong incentives out there still, someone in his position might not fair as badly as he thinks.
That's true, might have to lawyer up. Hopefully not and the insurance company does right by him.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

At the end of the 2020 model year you could find Sport Ss all day for under $41k in my area, that's when I bought mine

Although I'm still kicking myself for not buying that Gobi Mojave for $45k in that same time. I could have put a hard top on...

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the 2020 model year you could find Sport Ss all day for under $41k in my area, that's when I bought mine

Although I'm still kicking myself for not buying that Gobi Mojave for $45k in that same time. I could have put a hard top on...
Hard to believe but I guess anything's possible with rebates and how bad a dealership wants to get rid of one. Still not gonna get a adjuster to value one over $32,000 with over 40000 miles on one . Not sure what mileage he has on his though. My wife use to be a adjuster for Allstate back in the day and the lengths these companies go through to devalue a vehicle is pretty sleezy. Even taking value off for worn tires in some cases.

OP
OP
Midnight Rider

Midnight Rider

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sport S, RIP.
Occupation
Senior Construction Inspector
Vehicle Showcase
Just turned over 37000 miles. Went by the body shop today in brighter light. What is easily visible:
  • Front bumper
  • grille
  • Right front fender
  • hood
  • radiator
  • core support
  • driver’s air bag
Didn’t crawl underneath as I was in church clothes. I’m sure there’s more but my gut is saying it may be fixable. I did file a claim with the fine upstanding citizen’s insurance yesterday & have a direct number for the claim manager. I plan on calling him tomorrow morning to check in & get the ball rolling on a rental.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
A quick search shows 2 2020 Sport S's for sale in his area (both with low miles) at dealerships for $42K original MSRP on a Sport S was $33,545. Yes, there is a chance that it is worth more now then what he paid for it.
Gupton right now is showing a silver 2022 Sport S for $41,249 and a black one for $43,700
Like you said, today's prices have skyrocketed, which has caused used vehicles and equipment to follow suit. I have 67 pieces of rolling equipment that are worth the same or more than they were in 2020. New prices on equipment have jumped 30% or more.

@Midnight Rider let's hope that it is not totaled, but if it is some quick research should put you in a halfway decent position. It might not be a bad idea to do some research today on prices etc. before the end of season sales really start to kick in. Yes, it is worth looking out of the area to buy a replacement. It is often cheaper to travel than to buy local, and you get the adventure. We bought a specialty van for $20K less than I could find one local, but it was a day's drive away. For $20K, I found time to go get it.
There will be exceptions, but they generally include light trucks when talking prices.

Jeep Gladiator Another one bites the dust…. 1668981835063

RobG

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3 JT Altitude C8 Z06-ordered
Occupation
Financial
Good to hear OP is basically okay. No matter what, he should absolutely turn this in to his insurance company as it’s quite likely Mr. Stop Sign Runner is underinsured. OP’s insurance will do everything they can to avoid paying out for an accident which was not their insured’s fault. Let them do the dirty work.

Hopefully the JT is repairable and OP can move forward without a payment plus money in his pocket due to diminished value. He should also be entitled to something for his pain, suffering and inconvenience. These amounts are negotiable; never accept the first offer. Of course he won’t want to sign off on this until he’s certain any injuries and lingering ailments are healed.

Should the Gladiator be declared a total loss, in spite of the back and forth debating what OP may have paid for it in 2020, the only number that matters is what it was worth immediately prior to the accident. Make sure the insurance company is aware of any additional equipment which has been added to the vehicle.

Good luck and get well soon.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure the insurance company is aware of any additional equipment which has been added to the vehicle.
Generally doesn't matter. Even dealers don't give a rip about that. Prices are based on stock.
Spent several grand on a lift setup? Isn't really going to matter in most cases.
What matters is the money they can get selling it for salvage and salvage is based on the parts people are looking for that fit common vehicles.
When looking up values, no one takes added equipment into account.
It's ACV just prior to the accident, and salvage value, based on what a salvage yard would pay.

added equipment isn't even always covered under insurance - that varies. Some cover up to $xx in added equipment, some don't - some require you to buy a rider to cover that.
There's no one size fits all, and it varies with companies, locations, etc.

Sponsored

RobG

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3 JT Altitude C8 Z06-ordered
Occupation
Financial
Generally doesn't matter. Even dealers don't give a rip about that. Prices are based on stock.
Spent several grand on a lift setup? Isn't really going to matter in most cases.
What matters is the money they can get selling it for salvage and salvage is based on the parts people are looking for that fit common vehicles.
It's ACV just prior to the accident, and salvage value, based on what a salvage yard would pay.

added equipment isn't even always covered under insurance - that varies. Some cover up to $xx in added equipment, some don't - some require you to buy a rider to cover that.
I’m going to disagree since I was reimbursed an extra $1,500 above replacement value for wheels, tires, a brand new battery and a few other minor mods when my Tahoe was totaled by a red light runner a few years ago. They also grossed up the check by sales tax and $400 for dealer doc fees. As an aside, I also received an amount I’m not allowed to disclose from her insurance company so I wouldn’t sue them. My insurance company handled everything.

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Lawyer up and let the attorney deal with the other insurance company. You would be much better off with an attorney maximizing your compensation since the police report will show the other guy is clearly at fault.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
You would of been lucky to find a Sport S for under $41,000 in 2020. MSRP isn't adding dealer ad ons which normal add about $10,000 to the price of most vehicles. Then you got to add in the mileage depreciation.

Here is a quote I got on a 2020 Rubicon at the beginning of the pandemic that I still kick myself for not moving. You’re really making too many assumptions. It was going to be like $46k otd. With that reasoning, I’m sure a sport s could have been had for less.

An equally equipped JT today has an MSRP of nearly 60k. It is very likely you could have bought a JT in 2020 and it be worth more today.

Jeep Gladiator Another one bites the dust…. 99396742-7681-4799-9F73-C6136AC1232D
Jeep Gladiator Another one bites the dust…. D391DDBD-5F5E-4758-94EA-79150874E211

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

If this was his fault and his insurance that would be true, but since it's not his fault the other insurance company is on the hook to pay for the loss as it sat including aftermarket additions assuming they want to total and buy the truck. You probably won't get full retail value but you can usually recoup the majority of the aftermarket parts value if you itemize them and fight a bit.