Any Full-Size Converts?

Bake82

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I am! Just traded my 2015 Silverado for a Overland. Silverado was the double cab, and with kid, my wife was too squished in the passenger seat. The Gladiator is easier to park, and manouver and has a bigger back seat than the Silverado and my wife has way more room.

I didn't even look at full sizes, they're just too big now for my use.

Plus I drove with the freedom panels off today, and you can't do that with any other truck!
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I am! Just traded my 2015 Silverado for a Overland. Silverado was the double cab, and with kid, my wife was too squished in the passenger seat. The Gladiator is easier to park, and manouver and has a bigger back seat than the Silverado and my wife has way more room.

I didn't even look at full sizes, they're just too big now for my use.

Plus I drove with the freedom panels off today, and you can't do that with any other truck!
Almost exactly like me - I was set up to trade my 2011 extended cab Silverado and the dealer low-balled me on it, ticked me off, so I took the truck to a Chevy dealer and sold it to them outright for 2 grand more, then went back to my dealer who was a bit miffed, went on and on about how he wanted that truck, he likely already had it sold and all that BS. Hey, if you wanted it so bad, why did you only offer me 4 grand under KBB trade-in value? Even a Chevy dealer did better.
Anyway, same thing - JT rear seat more leg room, better fit for teens and adults, more comfortable on trips, IMO.

Maneuvering my trailer is a breeze with the JT - was a pain in the rear with the Chevy. I liked that Chevy a LOT - I'd have maybe gone back that way if I thought I still required a full-sized V8 truck but most of the time I don't. Better MPG, easier parking, better in town and parking lots, and my wife loves riding in the JT. She won't drive it (her handicap is a problem with the JT manual seats and such, and controls in bad places for her).
Parking my trailer in a really tight spot off a steep incline in a narrow area - a breeze now -

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? backing-trailer

greenMarine

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S - tow pack
Occupation
Investment Sales
I've had everything - 2019 Tacoma was last it sucked - in every way possible the only redeeming factor was its reliability supposedly, it was my least favorite vehicle ever. Before that a 2018 Ram 2500 Diesel with the AEV Highmarks on 40's - loved it but was impractical - before that was a 2016 Rubicon JK 2-door, Loved that... Before that was a TJ, before that, a 2013 Ram 2500 of 38's and before that another Ram 2500 on 37's. There was a ton of F250s in the mix... the AEV Ram was way too much truck for off-road and even overlandinging. Got my 2020 Gladiator 2-weeks ago!

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Downsized from a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Z71. Awesome truck if you like getting 10 miles to the gallon and having to do 12 point turns to back out of a parking spot.... and now you know why I bought a Gladiator. Plus, I was a Jeep guy before family life and really missed the Jeep-Life. Bonus that Jeep now makes a truck.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I see people complain about the seat lever . . .
My JT seat - I've not changed it since last fall. I finally got it where I like it, and get in and out (with a bad back and arthritis, I typically slide out or ease myself out) and have never hit any lever or had to adjust the seat again.
This complaint is another one I cannot understand. The lever is 3" below seat level - how in the world does someone dislodge it while getting in and out of the vehicle?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This complaint is another one I cannot understand. The lever is 3" below seat level - how in the world does someone dislodge it while getting in and out of the vehicle?
I am 63, arthritis and bad back. I turn and slide out when things are really sore. I've never so much as touched the lever.
I guess I'm weird.
Getting in, I plant one foot on the "running board", grab the handle and pull and launch myself onto the seat, clearing the edge in the process.

LOL - I had forgotten about wearing flat spots on the front tires turning my silverado extended cab around. There were always lots of round black rubber spots on the drive in front of my shop when I was trying to turn around back there, dozens when I tried to park my trailer using the Chevy.
U-turns were almost impossible compared to the JT now - miss an intersection? No problem - spin that truck around and go the other way.

Retro Bait

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1917 Buick Tk
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Caterpillar technical communicator
Vehicle Showcase
came from a 2012 Tundra rock warrior. Liked the truck, ran like red assed ape but didn't need the towing capacity that it had anymore.
Love the Gladiator. Felt a bit claustrophobic at 1st compared to the rolling cavern I had but that soon went away. I rarely used everything the tundra had power wise anyway so didn't miss that either.
The Glad rides better and I daily drive it, drag some motorcycles around on the weekend and occasionally a Kubota tractor. I don't rock crawl or mud it, I have a dedicated vehicle for that.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Just traded a 2010 Tundra crewmax I have had since new, had a 2012 and 2014 JKU as well now down to just one vehicle, seems great so far huge improvement over the JKU in every way, needed a truck and ability to tow.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Last 2 trucks were a 2015 GMC Denali 1500 4wd and a 2018 GMC 1500 SLT Z71. I don’t miss them at all. Both were fabulous trucks, rode great, never a problem one. The Gladiator Overland will Haul all I want at one time...1000-1200 lbs several times already, parks easier, fits in the garage, and put a smile on my face every time I drive it .....and makes me damn near giddy when I strip the top and doors off....and my wife loves it.......that is a HUGE plus! She hated driving a full sized truck. Is it as comfortable for 1000 mile treks....I doubt it, but the Infiniti QX50 sitting in the driveway is fine for such nonsense....and ny payment is less and insurance is a bit less.....its a win,win, win, win situation here.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is it as comfortable for 1000 mile treks....I doubt it, but the Infiniti QX50 sitting in the driveway is fine for such nonsense....and ny payment is less and insurance is a bit less.....its a win,win, win, win situation here.
My wife has been with my in the Silverado I had for at least 2 trips from Iowa - one to Cleveland, the other to Fort Wayne. She drove part way in both cases as she almost prefers being in the driver seat on some days. It was a nice well outfitted truck, luxury, IMO - nice all power everything, leather, automatic this and that - almost all options for a 1500 Silverado in 2011.
Sold that and got the JT about a year ago. Last Feb we went back to Fort Wayne to visit my friend and his family, and my wife drove part way again.
She says the JT is VERY comfortable and rides very well. She likes it, and in fact if we are going anyplace together these days "are we taking the truck today?" as if she's hoping... The Chevy was reserved for when a truck was needed. The Gladiator is treated more like the family car. I put about 6500 miles a year on the Chevy. I've had the JT for 11 months next week and have over 10,000 miles on it already. Been driving it twice as much.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For those who have gone to a Gladiator from a full size truck- any opinions/ regrets/ should have done it sooner etc?

Asking because my current lease is up within the next year and I really want a Gladiator for its off-road and top down features. But am concerned I may miss the space, comfort and power of a full size truck. I currently have an F150, prior to that 3 Rams. My towing needs include weekly towing my boat ( no big deal 3k lbs) and occasionally towing my open utility trailer with either my compact tractor or 2 atvs-7k lb or less- 6 times a year on average. I do have 2 daughters who will be in the truck daily as well, still in car seats. I work in the medical field so this is not at all a truck used for work, just hunting and fishing recreational use.

Very familiar with the jeep features and cab size etc... as my wife drives a JLU Sahara which we absolutely love- I find myself making excuses to drive it all the time.

Just curious to know opinions from those who have downsized to a Gladiator.
The biggest difference in interior space, comfort, leg room, and head room. That's a HUGE difference.

There is very little difference in payload, towing, or work ethic between mid and full size trucks if we're talking "1/2 ton" category. Most people have a false idea that a Gladiator can't work like a Ram 1500. That's just plain wrong. I've worked them both very hard. The Gladiator feels almost identical while towing compared to my full size trucks.

One advantage to the mid size class is the ability to park easier, fit in residential garages more easily, and navigate wooded trails more easily.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest difference in interior space, comfort, leg room, and head room. That's a HUGE difference.

There is very little difference in payload, towing, or work ethic between mid and full size trucks if we're talking "1/2 ton" category. Most people have a false idea that a Gladiator can't work like a Ram 1500. That's just plain wrong. I've worked them both very hard. The Gladiator feels almost identical while towing compared to my full size trucks.

One advantage to the mid size class is the ability to park easier, fit in residential garages more easily, and navigate wooded trails more easily.
Perfect discription of one of my motivations, aside from I loved how they look.... my Silverado was LONGER than my F250 and barely fit anywhere length-wise or width-wise and yet - I was only ever pulling 6,000-7,000 TOPS and now with a lighter trailer, only 5,000 or so.
Parking is so easy with a mid-sized.

It used to be, in the 70s, 80s, even 90s, I needed a 3/4 ton to do what I needed. Then along came the 1/2 ton trucks that rivaled the 3/4 ton in towing abilities and payload (for what I did anyway) so when I bought my chevy in 2011, I talked to a lot of truck owners and sales people (who could have EASILY sold me a much more expensive 3/4 ton and earned a lot nicer dinner that week) but they said naw, for my specs, a 1/2 ton would do. I went in almost insisting I look at 3/4 ton trucks as I I needed the specs, I was ready and willing to spend at least 10K more - and found a 1/2 ton did everything I needed and then some.
Now the mid-size trucks rival the older 1/2 ton trucks - but are easier to deal with.
I don't think I'd ever go back - even if my JT struggles with my stuff - I'd modify it to do better with my towing long before I'd ever go back to another full-size truck. They just aren't in my future after owning this truck. I've not even scratched the surface with this thing - the future is almost endless with JTs. AND - it fits in my garage and my wife is thrilled that she can walk all the way about all 3 vehicles in there now, she can get in or out of any door on her GC and even open the hatch without bumping into stuff and she can get in and out of my JT on the right side where before I had to carefully pull the Chevy out for her to be able to open the door.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
There is very little difference in payload, towing, or work ethic between mid and full size trucks if we're talking "1/2 ton" category. Most people have a false idea that a Gladiator can't work like a Ram 1500. That's just plain wrong. I've worked them both very hard. The Gladiator feels almost identical while towing compared to my full size trucks
I respectfully disagree 100%. While towing what? How much weight? Are you talking a Ram 1500 with a Pentastar, or a 5.7L V8 hemi?

I traded my Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi for a JT. In my experience (towing, hauling) the Ram is without a doubt the clear winner, no question. I don't even know how the Ram could be compared to the JT. Totally different vehicle. Maybe hauling light loads or towing light you wouldn't notice, but loaded down a bit, no question, Ram wins. I don't even understand how this could be up for discussion.

That said, excepting the power and torque, I love my JT more. It tows and hauls reasonably well and does all those things a Jeep can do that the Ram can't.

Last edited:

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Yep bought the JT to replace a Tundra. I needed the Tundra's 8' bed when I bought it, now not as much, although I will need a rack to carry my ladder occasionally. And with the Max Tow option it almost has the same payload as my old Tundra.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I respectfully disagree 100%. While towing what? How much weight? Are you talking a Ram 1500 with a Pentastar, or a 5.7L V8 hemi?

I traded my Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi for a JT. In my experience (towing, hauling) the Ram is without a doubt the clear winner, no question. I don't even know how the Ram could be compared to the JT. Totally different vehicle. Maybe hauling light loads or towing light you wouldn't notice, but loaded down a bit, no question, Ram wins. I don't even understand how this could be up for discussion.

That said, excepting the power and torque, I love my JT more. It tows and hauls reasonably well and does all those things a Jeep can do that the Ram can't.
I've driven the Ram with the Hemi. I've owned Rams, Fords, and GMs with the V8s. I've been towing and hauling for about 25 years with trucks from 1988 to 2020 model years. When I towed a loaded car hauler or my loaded enclosed trailer with the JT, it felt EXACTLY like a full size 1/2 ton. Same handling, same braking, same amount of bounce from the rear end. Which, of course, makes sense considering that the curb weight, payload, etc. are all spot-on between JT and Ram 1500, Silverado 1500, F-150, etc. The main difference is that when towing heavy the JT gets better MPG. I'd see about 12 at full load. My V8 trucks would see 9-11.

That's what I meant when I said that it's a myth the JT can't work like a full size. They're ALL technically "1/2 ton" trucks on paper, the only difference in the physical size, and mostly on the interior.
Sponsored