Sponsored

Any Full-Size Converts?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Crane operator
I downsized from a Super Duty on 37's. No immediate regrets. Probably will miss the mountain of power when I up size the tires though.
Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
They're ALL technically "1/2 ton" trucks on paper, the only difference in the physical size, and mostly on the interior.
Nope. Sorry to disagree, but a Ram 1500 with 5.7L Hemi with 8 speed auto absolutely eclipses the Gladiator with Pentastar in terms of towing and hauling. I've owned and driven them both. Mash the pedal on the Ram and it downshifts and takes off like a rocket, even under load. JT stalls or slips under a light load. Pentastar knocks and pings.

Again, not bashing the JT. I traded my Ram for one and love the JT every day. As of now there's nothing that compares to the JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Sorry to disagree, but a Ram 1500 with 5.7L Hemi with 8 speed auto absolutely eclipses the Gladiator with Pentastar in terms of towing and hauling. I've owned and driven them both. Mash the pedal on the Ram and it downshifts and takes off like a rocket, even under load. JT stalls or slips under a light load. Pentastar knocks and pings.

Again, not bashing the JT. I traded my Ram for one and love the JT every day. As of now there's nothing that compares to the JT.
It's why the GC with the 3.6 is rated at 6200 pounds and the GC with the V8 is rated at 7200 pounds.
I think when I need to tow, I'll use my wife's Jeep! (and face her WRATH? Heck no!)

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Towing and hauling are the big drivers as far as I'm concerned when talking about mid-size vs. full size trucks. The mid-size chassis' are much more capable today but if you're regularly (being the key word here and factor in typical terrain in here too) going to tow or haul more that 60% of the trucks rated capacity (what's shown on the door jam), I would definitely stick with a full size/ V8.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

I'm confused. I thought we were debating about how these trucks tow. You seem to be talking about which one would win a quarter mile drag race.

As far as towing is concerned as I mentioned on the previous page of this thread I have towed with every truck on the market. The JT feels like any other 1/2 ton, midsize or fullsize, with a large trailer behind it.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I'm confused. I thought we were debating about how these trucks tow. You seem to be talking about which one would win a quarter mile drag race
My bad, I didn't mean my comments to be about speed. I'm an old fart slow driver and speed doesn't thrill me. I mentioned the rocket factor only to supplement the power argument, more of a final test. That is, if a motor can readily deliver on an instant demand for accelerating a large mass, it should go without saying it can easily handle towing and hauling.

In my experience the 5.7L Ram towed even a relatively light 3,500 lb far better than my 3.6L JT, absolutely no question. Keep in mind I've got the 6 speed instead of the auto, but still, it's the same 3.6L Pentastar in front of it. And again, don't get me wrong - if I didn't love the JT more, I wouldn't have traded the Ram for it ;)

Your mileage may vary.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on your needs and expectations. My 2019 F-250 is needed to haul my 5th wheel toy hauler, my 2018 Ford Raptor is fun cool and has a lot of luxury my 2020 Gladiator is fun, cool and delivers an experience that the others do not have, the open air experience, the ability to make it truly your own with an unbelievable after market which gives pride of ownership.

If idid not own a 5th wheel i would have no need for the F-250, the Raptor i would keep because it`s a Raptor, the Gladiator fills my smaller truck needs makes me feel young and is plain cool.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
i have fifth wheel goose neck hitch installed on my gladiator now it was not easy had to use reese universal under bed rails and Curt Over-Bed Fixed Ball Gooseneck Hitch 61100 had to remove bed several times but it works great could not use folding bad because of the crossmember right over the rear axle but underbed rails worked great the rail went in where the fuel fill is and the rear rail mount in front on the bed reinforcemen right behind the axle and bolts to the spring towers. I stlll have my f250 with the fifth wheel also but i have no problem with the gladiator towing a fifth . the bed is short so i cant back it up at 90 degrees like the f250 . but love my new tow rig the inbed 7 way plug from 2020 ram works prefect where the power outlet is .

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
I traded my ‘18 ram 2500 cummins for my Mojave.

i miss my truck. But the reality was in my new job i have to get downtown, and parking a 2500 is damn near impossible. even a lifted gladiator is shorter than my 2500. My kids really want to get back to overlanding/camping. And i was looking at $10k in aev bumper/lift/wheels and tires. That just wasnt in the cards with new house divorce etc.

i didnt need to tow anymore, and the mojave is ready to go out of the box. Plus the full size truck market is crazy right now. i traded my truck for more than i paid new 2 years ago. It all came together as a no brainer for what i needed. So, no real regrets i guess.

hemigeno

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTO; '18 Durango; '13 JK
I will (someday, hopefully soon) be trading in my 2011 Ram 3500 MegaCab CTD for a Gladiator. The Ram served its purpose quite well back when I had a gooseneck car hauler to tote around, and it's been a great truck for ~210k miles. Now that the trailer is gone, and with a new job "in the city", I'm looking VERY forward to having a turning radius less than that of a battleship.

Z5922.JPG

Sponsored

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Traded my GMC Sierra 6.2 for my Gladiator. Was a great truck. Just had to have the Gladiator. Going to be towing it behind a Motorhome when I retire.
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? GMC

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
After having 2 ram 1500 over 16 years.. no regrets with the Jeep..

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, went from a ram 1500 with 35's and 2" lift with winch to the JT and never looked back. We'll see what happens when I pull the duck boat out at the end of the season. It weights about 5000lbs
Ram in front, new JT in background

Ram 1500 and JT.jpg

Blind.jpg

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
Nope I still have my ram 3500 dually cummins. But I did convert from my wife's Honda accord 😀 just have to wait tell the darn gladiator gets built

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
traded F150 raptor and JL wrangler for gladiator (couldn't resist the deal between the gladiator discounts and the high trade in amounts). No regrets although my wife definitely misses the roomy F150 with the 3 kids (then again she has an escalade so used to the space).....so far I love the gladiator and it does everything I need (no major towing, mostly just DD and beach driving in the summer. It is tighter inside than the raptor but still works and fits in the garage, plus the big check from the dealer helps pay for upgrades
Sponsored