Sponsored

Any Full-Size Converts?

Wageslave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 GC Overland, '21 Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
I traded in my 2015 Silverado LT 4x4 for my 2021 Gladiator Overland Ecodiesel. The Silverado was dead reliable but the truck was physically huge. Driving it around in the city was tedious and parking was almost as fun.

The Gladiator should be able to tow what I want it to and 26-30MPG is a lot easier to deal with than 15-19MPG in the Silverado.
Sponsored

Bantam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Only technically. Traded in my ā€˜15 JKU for this F150. I was in the middle of renovating my house and was tired of borrowing trucks and trailers. Rumors were getting pretty thick about Jeep making a truck and the JL hadnā€™t been officially unveiled.
Decided to gamble on hoping the new JL would be good, and hoped to see a Wrangler truck. So I got $26k for my $27k JKU after just shy of 3 years and 36k miles and drove this heap between my Jeeps.

So not totally a ā€œconvertā€ as I didnā€™t really want it to begin with, but was necessary and I did trade this in on my Gladiator.

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? F109BCA8-7723-4DBF-B8A1-C36B7B187F4C

Renoraines

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Occupation
Oil and gas.
I jumped over to a Gladiator from a long bed quad cab 3500 Denali. To be honest I wasnā€™t even considering a Jeep product. Buddy was looking at Jeeps and we stopped in. I did some, not much research and looked at a few and I was hooked.

After the ā€˜Rona and oil crashed I no longer needed a diesel as a daily driver. I have a flat bed no option dually that I can use when needed. But the daily drivIng of a diesel is no longer needed.

Iā€™ve been more impressed with the Gladiator every day. Iā€™m 6ā€™2 and figured Iā€™d probably take a lot of time to adjust to the space difference, but the main issue Iā€™m having is the storage. Iā€™m used to being in BFE and having everything I need. It appears it can still but done, but itā€™s much more expensive. Bye bye twin tube gas powered air compressor. Bye bye every dang tool that I probably wonā€™t need, but had just in case.

My biggest gripe after a week is the fuel tank size. This is fā€™ing cute. 200 miles per tank?!?!?!?!?! Really Jeep? Iā€™ll be fixing this somehow soon. I had a 100g aux in the diesel, but even without it this wasnā€™t an issue on all my previous vehicles.

All in all Iā€™m still happy With the trade and would do it again.

PanhandleChuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
Occupation
U.S. Marine Corps (Ret)
I just went from a ā€˜19 RAM Laramie, 5.7L, 4x4, Crew Cab, ā€œ12 Uconnect, etc. Itā€™s my 5th Jeep (ā€˜21 JTM). Thereā€™s no logical reason to change and the vehicles are vastly different. I had no expectations of the Gladiator being remotely similar. I knew I would miss the 5.7L, interior space, a few creature comforts (cooled seats, leg/hip/shoulder room, luxury ride, did I say 395HP/410 ft torque?). What the Gladiator lacks in those comforts it makes up in character and fun to drive factor. šŸ˜Ž
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 7C78C29A-7884-4EDF-9BA5-873C55EF4EEB
Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? FF973413-0241-4513-A316-3D47A65540AB

dgulia

First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL; 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk; 2017 Dodge Challenger RT
I have both
Gladiator and a Rebel. Love driving them both.

Sponsored

BlamBlamTheMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Vehicle Showcase
Traded in my 2016 Silverado 1500 for the Gladiator. I had 38s and a 6 inch lift on it, and my wife hated driving the full-size and any time my little ones had to get in/out it was a pain in the ass.

Much prefer the Gladiator.

Chris Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator soon
I am coming from a 2018 Raptor...

Ill preface this with I don't hate my gladiator, doors off and roof off really is an experience that you cant get anywhere else. BUT and a big but, It isn't a Raptor.

I decided to move on from my Raptor because of a new role that required my commute to go from 12 miles each way to 61 miles each way, and i needed something that was at minimum AWD/4WD due to the type of work that I do (Utility Operations Supervisor). The 16 MPG in the Raptor didn't quite cut it. With the type of person that I am I can not just drive a beige commuter car, never have never will (my toy is a 2010 Porsche 911 GT3). So i needed something that offered more than a typical Rav4, CRV, Base Grand Cherokee, Tiguan, Or Explorer type vehicle.

A lot of the fun, rare, interesting type SUV's/Trucks (SRT8 GC, Cayenne GTS, etc.) are all still terrible on fuel and some, to meet company's requirements, to cost prohibitive. FiancƩ had gone out and started test driving Gladiators and Wranglers as she was also looking for a new car, so obviously i test drove them to and thought I really liked the Gladiator. Being Very different, in Rubicon trim is very interesting and the Diesel was coming out, meaning better fuel economy, and pretty much guaranteed good resale value even with the mileage I would be putting on it (30k a year). It hit most of my wish list.

So i ordered a Sting Gray Diesel, well optioned. and I really liked it for a month or so, it being new and different. But quickly it clicked this wasn't a Raptor and it wasn't going to be a Raptor, nor would have a Mojave really scratched the itch. Its been reliable in the 7 months I've owned it, I have put 17k+ miles on it already and no issues to report, gets good fuel mileage. But the slightly smaller bed has been an issue at times, couldn't close the gate with a 65inch tv box in the back. The interior is much much smaller, and makes it more difficult to fit myself, my FiancƩ, my 2yo, my 40 LB Viszla mix and 100Lb ridgeback in and gear for trips.

With all that being said, With the price of more specialty used vehicles skyrocketing, i.e. 2nd gen raptors worth more now that when they were new, I will stick with the Gladiator till after we build our house next year. Also with the weather getting nicer and being able to go odorless/topless more frequently, as well as doing a bit more off-roading, I am beginning to enjoy the Gladiator more now than i did through the winter. I also decided if I am to keep it for 2 more years than why not order a 2.5" Clayton Lift, Some KC HiLites Gravity Pro 6 lights, among some other things. And begin to enjoy what the truck has to offer and do what it does best.

To wrap it all up, If I had owned a normal Fullsize truck non of the above would be nearly as true, and I would probably even prefer the Gladiator and dealt with the 1 in 10 times the bed or interior is to small. But coming from 1 of the top dogs in the truck world put a stain on most other vehicles for me.

I will enjoy the Gladiator for a couple of years and than get into a 3rd Gen Raptor and deal with the worse fuel mileage. and enjoy top down/door less fun in the FiancƩs Wrangler.

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 20201120_180831

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? 20200214_172216

Example of something that cant be put in the bed of a Gladiator.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'm looking at getting out of my 2020 Tundra which feels pretty enormous on the interior. The Gladiator is certainly smaller, but I only drive around town. I'm switching to finally own a Jeep that happens to have a bed.

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
Funny I switch from a 2019 Oxford White Raptor crew cab to a 2021 sting grey Gladiator......I definitely see your points...raptor was sick and so roomy but I have to admit parking is so much easier in the gladiator, regular gas is nice and a couple miles more a gallon on top of it, I also feel like after re-gearing to 4.88's the performance is enough to make me not really miss the raptor as much (it also helped that I got almost what I paid brand new for the raptor after 18 months of ownership and 14,000 miles)

my wife misses the roominess and prestige of the raptor but honestly once spring and summer hit the gladiator blows it away, doors off, best-top sun-rider....and no fear of a complicated twin turbo either.

Ill preface this with I don't hate my gladiator, doors off and roof off really is an experience that you cant get anywhere else. BUT and a big but, It isn't a Raptor.

I decided to move on from my Raptor because of a new role that required my commute to go from 12 miles each way to 61 miles each way, and i needed something that was at minimum AWD/4WD due to the type of work that I do (Utility Operations Supervisor). The 16 MPG in the Raptor didn't quite cut it. With the type of person that I am I can not just drive a beige commuter car, never have never will (my toy is a 2010 Porsche 911 GT3). So i needed something that offered more than a typical Rav4, CRV, Base Grand Cherokee, Tiguan, Or Explorer type vehicle.

A lot of the fun, rare, interesting type SUV's/Trucks (SRT8 GC, Cayenne GTS, etc.) are all still terrible on fuel and some, to meet company's requirements, to cost prohibitive. FiancƩ had gone out and started test driving Gladiators and Wranglers as she was also looking for a new car, so obviously i test drove them to and thought I really liked the Gladiator. Being Very different, in Rubicon trim is very interesting and the Diesel was coming out, meaning better fuel economy, and pretty much guaranteed good resale value even with the mileage I would be putting on it (30k a year). It hit most of my wish list.

So i ordered a Sting Gray Diesel, well optioned. and I really liked it for a month or so, it being new and different. But quickly it clicked this wasn't a Raptor and it wasn't going to be a Raptor, nor would have a Mojave really scratched the itch. Its been reliable in the 7 months I've owned it, I have put 17k+ miles on it already and no issues to report, gets good fuel mileage. But the slightly smaller bed has been an issue at times, couldn't close the gate with a 65inch tv box in the back. The interior is much much smaller, and makes it more difficult to fit myself, my FiancƩ, my 2yo, my 40 LB Viszla mix and 100Lb ridgeback in and gear for trips.

With all that being said, With the price of more specialty used vehicles skyrocketing, i.e. 2nd gen raptors worth more now that when they were new, I will stick with the Gladiator till after we build our house next year. Also with the weather getting nicer and being able to go odorless/topless more frequently, as well as doing a bit more off-roading, I am beginning to enjoy the Gladiator more now than i did through the winter. I also decided if I am to keep it for 2 more years than why not order a 2.5" Clayton Lift, Some KC HiLites Gravity Pro 6 lights, among some other things. And begin to enjoy what the truck has to offer and do what it does best.

To wrap it all up, If I had owned a normal Fullsize truck non of the above would be nearly as true, and I would probably even prefer the Gladiator and dealt with the 1 in 10 times the bed or interior is to small. But coming from 1 of the top dogs in the truck world put a stain on most other vehicles for me.

I will enjoy the Gladiator for a couple of years and than get into a 3rd Gen Raptor and deal with the worse fuel mileage. and enjoy top down/door less fun in the FiancƩs Wrangler.

Bear Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Pastor
I trade an f150 and I love the GLadiator! The only thing I notice or miss is that the f150 was a bit nicer to drive at 75-80 mph as in quieter and softer. That being said, I wish I would have had this truck sooner!

Jeep Gladiator 3.jpg

Sponsored

Tarantularock

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150(sold) 2021 Gladiator Sport
I drove my f150 from 2013 until around month ago ( only had 45k on it) , I was on the waiting list for the Ford bronco but it wasnā€™t coming anytime soonā€¦ my brother knew I was selling the f150 so he asked to buy it and lend it to me if I ever need to tow/ so now best of both worlds. The truck bed of the gladiator makes it a perfect size dad (2kids) mobile. However that said- If I did not sell the Ford to my brother I would miss the ability to tow.

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
Previously had a 2016 F150 Lariat and I loved that truck. Plenty of power and very comfortable on long trips. Plus ventilated seats are just the best. But it was a pain to park in smaller lots and parking garages and barely fit in my garage at home. I wanted the smaller truck and the I missed the Jeep JK I had before the Ford, so I ended up with the Gladiator. I'm rarely tow and don't really haul a lot so it fits my needs perfectly. Now if they just offered ventilated seats.....

Orangecrush03

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU, 2020 Gladiator, 2020 Gladiator

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? Jeep Gladiator 3

Jeep Gladiator Any Full-Size Converts? Jeep Gladiator 3

I know this an older reply but I was looking through and I found it funny I'm in almost the same situation. I was wondering how a year later if your opinion changed.

I have purchased 28 Jeeps in my lifetime. Only 6-7 of those were for family, the rest were mine. My third to last vehicle was a 2020 Gladiator that I installed a Hamburger supercharger. The supercharger was great but did nothing to help me pulling my 5500 pound pontoon boat. About 8 months after I installed the supercharger, my electrical went crazy. Two weeks with a dealer, three weeks with Richard Petty Racing and three weeks with Hamburger supercharger and we couldn't find the problem. I honestly don't think the supercharger had anything to do with the electrical issues I was having but as long as you didn't plug anything into the trailer hitch, you were good to go.

I traded the Gladiator in for a 2019 Raptor. I LOVED that truck, with a tune and creature comforts, it was hard to beat but at the end of the day, you can't take the doors off a Raptor.

I traded the Raptor back in a year later for another Gladiator, this time diesel. I LOVE this Jeep and with a tune, it's putting out 350HP and 513 ftlbs of torque at the wheels. It pulls my pontoon boat around as good as my Raptor.

I was getting 25'ish mpg when I started but with 38's and a 3.5" lift driving 85'ish (I have a 50 mile one way trip to work), the gas mileage has dropped to 17-20 depending on how I drive it.

Nonetheless, out of all the Jeeps I've owned, I've never had anything that gets over 12 mpg so it's still a win-win.

Just wondering if after a year, you decided to go back into a Raptor?

Mark

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I switched from 2020 F-250 with the 7.3 gasser. It was a great truck but I knew that we would have new energy policies (elections) and therefore probably higher gas prices so i switched to the gladiator because i wanted something with solid axles and a proven reliable engine (the pentastar) and that was easy to work on, easy to lift etc. I knew i wanted something that could hit the trails and had some hauling capacity and i've always wanted a Jeep but as the family grew - having a bed came in real handy (trips to lowes/home depot, throwing trash out etc). So when the Gladiator came out i told myself i had to get one (but i've always hard Ford's upto this point). I do not regret it one bit - but i do miss the burly V8 soundtrack of my F250 (don't miss the 11 mpg when fethering it though). I also wanted something that was easier to manuever in tight spaces so it checked all of my must have boxes. Nowhere near the hauling or towing capacity of the F-250 and wish there was a way I could have swapped the F250 axles into my gladiator before trading it in lol.

Klicht87

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Veteran/DoD Program Analyst
I came from a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie. I loved it, loved the sound with an AWE exhaust and power when I needed it and they spacious cab. What I hated... Parking it. I bought it because I could but I don't tow anything and the 5. some ft bed wasn't anything to keep me in a full size truck. My wife had the Wrangler JL and wouldn't let me mess with it. Everyone in Connecticut has Jeeps and I thought it was so cool to take the top off, doors off, and customize it however one wanted. Do I regret it....No I don't. Would I ever go back to a full size truck? Probably not. I've had a lot of different brands and I'm not loyal to any but as long as this Gladiator doesn't give me any significant issues down the road, I plan on staying with it.
Sponsored