Sponsored

Any have the RIPP on their JT yet and whats been the experience so far ?

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
Mines in the shop getting installed now (waiting on the catch can that wasnt shipped with the kit). While I wait I was wondering if others have this setup and what‘s the experience been like thus far ? I have seen other threads on RIPP but haven’t been able to parse out anyone’s experience with it thus far .Let me know and thanks in advance !
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Sounds cool. I have had 3 Vortech superchargers on my old 5 liter mustangs. I never had an inter-cooler and always went past the kit on boost, etc.... I ended up blowing a couple of motors.

My advice is to make sure you have an intercooler, which you do, make sure you use the best gas possible, use a colder plug, timing retard working correctly, etc........ all part of you kit, so, no issue.....

If you really want to monitor the air/fuel ration of your engine and make sure you are not running lean, I highly recommend that spend $300 and put in a "wide band" gauge. Autometer makes some great ones. All you have to do is weld a bung just past the exhaust collector, install a bosh oxygen sensor, then, run the wires to a gauge in the cockpit. With the wide band, you can monitor your air fuel ratio under full load and feel confident that all the components are working correctly. I have used the autometer wideband guage to tune 3 carburetors and it works wonderfully to tell you what is going on at different throttle positions.

sounds like you will have a fun jeep ! Enjoy !

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey great information and advice on the gauge!! I will definitely look into that .Here are a few pics of the install thus far and yeah take a look at the inter cooler - its huge!

2AEF07AE-86FF-4184-B882-D5141611C3D1.jpeg

B133E684-8BBB-4ACA-B146-16B9958BC823.jpeg

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
hey great information and advice on the gauge!! I will definitely look into that .Here are a few pics of the install thus far and yeah take a look at the inter cooler - its huge!

2AEF07AE-86FF-4184-B882-D5141611C3D1.jpeg

B133E684-8BBB-4ACA-B146-16B9958BC823.jpeg
yes, that intercooler is gorgeous ! Vortechs (which I assume your kit has) are great centrifugal blowers. They are made not far from me, so, I have been to their factory a few times... The jeep will pull hard on the top end of the RPM with that blower.... The intercooler is one of the big keys to longevity and it looks like you have a great one.

I dug out this old picture of my Vortech blown 94 Mustang Cobra to show you how far the kits have come. Look at my setup -- no intercooler - just pulling air out of the fender, right into the blower, right into the MAF... We have learned a lot since then. Your kit looks great !

PXTi4W.jpg

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I had the RIPP on my JK 3.8. Wonderful kit and customer support. They provided several tunes for different driving conditions. Keep the oil changed and pound the trails. Took mine up the contiental divide with no issues with the kit. They also have a snorkel attachment kit which came in very handy

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mines in the shop getting installed now (waiting on the catch can that wasnt shipped with the kit). While I wait I was wondering if others have this setup and what‘s the experience been like thus far ? I have seen other threads on RIPP but haven’t been able to parse out anyone’s experience with it thus far .Let me know and thanks in advance !
Ok finally got my Truck back from the install yesterday. We were waiting on the catch-can that is suppose to come with the kit but since its not necessary and a nice to have we went ahead and completed the install without it . Personally I had problems finding users experience with this setup since things are still relatively new in this space . I figured for the benefit of others i would provide a few updates as time progresses running with the RIPP . Couple of few things to note during install and the experience :

1) Ordering - there was a mix up with my order and the kit did not ship when it was suppose to. After waiting around a few weeks we checked on the order and low and behold was still on the dock.
2)When it finally shipped it did not come with the catch-can or the computer
3)While waiting on the computer , which was 7 or 8 more days , install started .
4) To this date we are still waiting on the catch can
I kinda feel like I was a one off in this case and with COVID things like getting parts becomes a challenge . So even though my truck was down for a bit I give RIPP a free pass
5) Putting the diablo tune was. a bit of a challenge but this is where RIPP and Diablo really stepped up their game . Support for both is amazing
6)Bring up was pretty smooth after that and did stumble once or twice at idle and tripped one rich code. The thing to note is I am still running 87 octane and actually it rides pretty damn good while I burn through this tank of 87 then switch to 91 (in Denver area so 91 is highest oct we get )
7) Need to break the beast in slowly for the first 500 and then change the vortec charger oil for the first time . This is when I can provide the best details on how things are when I am able to fully get on it. - stay tuned
8) Need to move to 5w oil and can not use 0w
9) Need to run at least 91 octane
10) Intercooler was so big that I had to ditch the forward facing trail cam. (very small sacrifice )
11)The air intake sits up pretty high so I am not worried about going through high standing water with this kit
12) The kit looks like it came from factory ! It fits so well and the design was such that we didnt have to move a lot of the stock stuff around to accommodate things .
13) Even though rated at 280HP our gladiators only get about 220 once we are at the wheels . This kit should get me up to 380/390 hp and ~350ft/lbs at the wheels . Once I can get on it and if I think it needs further adjustments then I plan a dyno .. otherwise if I like things how they are I probably wont do a dyno run at all .
14)Its noisy at first but you get a nice whistle as you get on the throttle . Personally I am not worried about sound and if you are then just turn the damn radio up . After it breaks in I will check back on the sound as its suppose to taper down.. but like I said doesn't bother me at all

My complete setup to date :
-two inch mopar lift
-20 inch wheels with 35inch nitto G2 all terrain
-borla dual side ATAK exhaust
-ripp SC kit

That’s it so far since its only day1 and I will update or answer any questions people might have here. I know I wish I had more intel on this setup (more then what u get from RIPP - they are fantastic but I value owner usability more :)).

morejeepsthanicancount

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome update. I almost RIPPd my JKU years ago, and waited. I might make this jump in the future when I run out of other mods.

Azwei35

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 1989 Jeep YJ
Occupation
Business owner
Hey @Cburgess33, I’d really like to hear more updates in the future about this. The RIPP S/C is the first thing I’m thinking about doing

power adder first and then doing lift/wheels/tires/gears and such.
Hope it’s been great man!

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do.. I was trying to upload a video of the setup and apparently you can’t ? We need to direct to a URL just to add a video ??

RIght now I have about 200 more miles on it before I can really push it... But you can definitely feel the power wanting to be unleashed... I am kinda just going through all the gears normally without stomping it and was just able to get the higher octane in there (i still had about 1/8 tank of 87 but decided to top off with 91 as I just dont want to chance detonation )

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a little shy of 500 miles and a couple more notes

1)I didnt mention this before but the ripp tune disables auto stop/start feature (glad for that - its a pain to turn off each time otherwise)
2) I finally have 91oct in and still pulling rich codes while in park and idle. I can mostly get this to happen after some basic driving and then letting it sit in park for a few minutes . I guess its not as bad as running lean and it only happens mostly at idle
3)Gonna need to pull some logs and probably do some tuning with RIPP on this one . The good news is it has only pulled one rich code while not in idle and that was low rpm in 1st gear after lengthy driving.

So in summary the out of the box tune isnt perfect at my altitude and with my setup so I will have to do some back n forth to get this one ironed out .If we cant get this completely dialed in from logs and such then I will go and get a dyno and a custom tune.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
You would do yourself a world of good if you could get that intake some cooler air then what you are pulling from under the hood.

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would do yourself a world of good if you could get that intake some cooler air then what you are pulling from under the hood.
Yeah looking at a vented hood and then will need to switch over to a carbon fiber sealed box . Otherwise relying on the intercooler and supercharger to do its job ;)

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I run an AMC 401 in my 70 Javelin with the Procharger D1SC and have to also get the intake out from under the hood. I don’t use an intercooler with 14 lbs of boost because I run E85 which really helps cool things down. Are you going to try to get it on a dyno? I would be curious to know what you are getting out of it.

OP
OP
Cburgess33

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I run an AMC 401 in my 70 Javelin with the Procharger D1SC and have to also get the intake out from under the hood. I don’t use an intercooler with 14 lbs of boost because I run E85 which really helps cool things down. Are you going to try to get it on a dyno? I would be curious to know what you are getting out of it.
Yeah I think I am going to have to dyno it . Right now I have a rich condition that only happens when in idle either on a cold start or sometimes after running for a bit ... so I think I need to specialize the tune and will dyno at that time... Originally I wasn’t going to waste time with a dyno but now since the canned tune isnt perfect for me I might as well.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
May want to check the steps on the IAC. If it is like my Fitech for tuning when the supercharger went in I had to readjust it due to the added air volume over running it without the SC.
Sponsored