1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Also, Diablo Drop Off isn’t as bad as it sounds. Pick a good line, then throw it in 4 Low and 1st, and crawl down.
I have been looking at maps am i wrong to think i could take diablo drop off and head north to where it meets fish creek wash? or would i be heading the wrong way?
Sponsored

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I have been looking at maps am i wrong to think i could take diablo drop off and head north to where it meets fish creek wash? or would i be heading the wrong way?
You are correct. Heading north, down Diablo will take you to fish creek. Lots of cool places to camp there. Almost to the end is fish creek camp ground. They have pit toilets and designated sites.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That’s what I did and worked fine. South to north. I’m wondering if there’s a way north to south around Diablo? I think you can make it up, but would be nice to know a workaround.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
You are correct. Heading north, down Diablo will take you to fish creek. Lots of cool places to camp there. Almost to the end is fish creek camp ground. They have pit toilets and designated sites.
That’s what I did and worked fine. South to north. I’m wondering if there’s a way north to south around Diablo? I think you can make it up, but would be nice to know a workaround.
Sad thing is... its raining all over the park all day monday so im not sure what kind of off roading i can do now. I am still going but not sure how dry the dirt roads will be tuesday... we shall see. I appreciate all the good ideas. Definitely going to do the diablo to fish creek run and the hawk canyon area loop even if i have to go back another time.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I’ve never been to the desert in the rains but watch for flash floods. May want to wait, especially if you are going solo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
For sure im staying out of the washes before any chance of rain comes. I think camping in blair valley will be ok even if it rains. We will see ill take some pictures if i can lol. Thanks everyone. Be back Tuesday evening.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Are you familiar with the park or have you been there before?
If yes forgive my basic ideas.
I drove east from Julian down the S2 (or great southern overland stage route) past agua caliente and turn north on vallecito creek rd (32.9153083, -116.2406586). That turns east until a wide wash.
Then up arroyo tapiado road (32.8951470, -116.1794128) to the huge mud caves (actually on google maps). Then back east and up north on arroyo secco del Diablo rd (32.8809063, -116.1573553) through the canyon to turnoff east (32.9391886, -116.1899163) to Diablo dropoff. Easily went down the drop in my JTR. Then drive up north east through fish creek wash to split mountain rd to ocotillo wells.
Did that all with my 8yo so I think they could handle it.
Hey bud got back from Anza Borrego yesterday. I took the route you suggested and let me tell you thanks! It was fun and when the trip was done i could say it wasnt hard but i wont lie i was pooping my pants because i had no clue what was around the next bend and if a rock fall was going to block me off and then i had to worry if it was after diablo drop off, then could i get back up it ? But my wife and me had a lot of fun and thanks again for the GPS, it came in handy!
I think im going to make a post with some pics and videos from the trip.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Something you could do is look for borregos. Just an idea.
Thats true I didn't think to look for the big horn sheep. Had time to look at all the desert plants and look at the minerals and geology of the area. It's a pretty interesting place overall.

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Hey bud got back from Anza Borrego yesterday. I took the route you suggested and let me tell you thanks! It was fun and when the trip was done i could say it wasnt hard but i wont lie i was pooping my pants because i had no clue what was around the next bend and if a rock fall was going to block me off and then i had to worry if it was after diablo drop off, then could i get back up it ? But my wife and me had a lot of fun and thanks again for the GPS, it came in handy!
We just went at the end of the week.
Camped up in coyote canyon just north of Borrego Springs. There’s a couple water crossings, that was cool. The wind was hellish at night so no campfires or cooking until Friday.

FYI google maps directed me on a bad route to Font’s Point, out past the landfill on Borrego Sink Wash past San Gregorio, then onto Borrego Mountain Wash. That road is a cool trail up a tight sandstone canyon with some small steps, felt like I was in Moab or something. Then I got to a huge steep hill that was deep pillowy sand, and I couldn’t make it up even with lockers on.
Soo, I turned around and backtracked the whole way.

come to find out that’s supposed to be a one-way trail. The road is Borrego Mountain Wash, turn off the 78 at (33.1593353, -116.2187105).
The Slot Canyon is a cool short hike at the beginning of that road, with toilets at the parking lot, have to pay $10 to hike there. We went there the next day but didn’t try going further down the road… someday I’ll go back and tackle it.

I’d recommend that trail for sure, that was fun. Just go south to north!

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
We just went at the end of the week.
Camped up in coyote canyon just north of Borrego Springs. There’s a couple water crossings, that was cool. The wind was hellish at night so no campfires or cooking until Friday.

FYI google maps directed me on a bad route to Font’s Point, out past the landfill on Borrego Sink Wash past San Gregorio, then onto Borrego Mountain Wash. That road is a cool trail up a tight sandstone canyon with some small steps, felt like I was in Moab or something. Then I got to a huge steep hill that was deep pillowy sand, and I couldn’t make it up even with lockers on.
Soo, I turned around and backtracked the whole way.

come to find out that’s supposed to be a one-way trail. The road is Borrego Mountain Wash, turn off the 78 at (33.1593353, -116.2187105).
The Slot Canyon is a cool short hike at the beginning of that road, with toilets at the parking lot, have to pay $10 to hike there. We went there the next day but didn’t try going further down the road… someday I’ll go back and tackle it.

I’d recommend that trail for sure, that was fun. Just go south to north!
That part of the park is my next trip i think, i want to see hawk canyon area and i think that takes you by borrego mountain loop.
I posted some pictures from my trip. I took the pretty much exact route you recommended.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...lair-valley-diablo-drop-off-fish-creek.56577/

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Iamstubb

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Please do. Thinking of heading out to Blair Valley next weekend but this looks like a good idea.

OP
OP
1996XJ

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
Please do. Thinking of heading out to Blair Valley next weekend but this looks like a good idea.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...lair-valley-diablo-drop-off-fish-creek.56577/ Blair Valley was a nice campsite with plenty of room when i went. It also wasnt that far to do some of the well known washes and loops. There are GPS coordinates in that post too. If you do the diablo drop i would walk down a ways before you commit because it rained heavy the night before i left. Its possible parts of the wash wall could have fallen and blocked off the route. I doubt it but its probably better to check it out before you drive down it and have to try and drive up it.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Blair Valley is a great place to camp. Plenty of spots, easy access, good when you need to find and setup at night.
Sponsored