Sponsored

Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon?

XJhawk

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales Manager
Nah. The only thing different at this point in my ownership is lockers and the 4:1 T-case. The 37s I bought with the savings have so far conquered every trail I've tried. I will say there was ONE time I was annoyed to see one wheel stationary on a waterfall climb, but I re-adjusted my line and got over. And, I'm wondering if engaging the crawl control would've helped.

The 4:1 T-Case is a blessing and a curse. There's a very small amount of time I want that much reduction, whereas the other amount of time I'm happier with a better speed range in 4low. Meaning, the time I'm in 4lo, first gear is pretty rare relatively speaking. A bigger tire like a 37 naturally crawls a bit slower than a 35 by rotational diameter, so the regular T-case is perfectly fine.

Front and rear Bumper- replaced.
Sway bar electric disconnect- Annoying to have it re-engage at 20mph. Had it before, don't miss it.
Tires- replaced.
Wheels- replaced
Suspension- replaced
Rock rails- replaced.
Decals- meh
4:1- no lost sleep. pros/cons to both
Lockers- Yes I'd like these given the option, but I haven't needed them yet.
Off-Road + button-- not sure about this one. Seems like something I'd like.
Horn sounding for tire fill-- useless, I use a valve remover.

Now the better question is whether I would've gotten a Mohave given the choice. While I don't regret the Sport S, if I had to do it again now I'd get a Mohave.
Yeah, once Jeep announced that they were actually going to build the Mojave, the Rubicon became obsolete for my needs.
Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
No regrets, I absolutely love my truck. If I could've afforded a fully loaded Rubicon I would've bought that. But also, if I could afford a mansion in the woods I would buy that too. I had the means to buy a Sport S so that's what I got. Couldn't be happier.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I bought a Rubicon -- it was about ~$10k more than an optioned Sport S in my case. But I got quite a bit that I either kept (and would have to add on the Sport S), or that I can sell as a take off. I would have bought axles either way, and if I had gone the Sport S route, they would be essentially worthless as take offs, where my Rubicon axles sold for $4k. Same goes with wheels/tires/rock sliders. And with Sport S I would have to add the electronic swaybar disconnect, locker switches (or spod since the stock switches would have gotten eaten up by then), LEDs, few other items.

Overall when factoring that together (and in general the value difference by VIN over time), I actually think it was cheaper to buy the Rubicon. For my use case, anyway. They let you option a Sport S decently these days -- probably not much of a reason to buy anything besides that if your use case is just camping, forest roads, hauling gear, etc.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Nope.

I learned years ago a LOT of rubi buyers take all the nice shiney parts off their more expensive vehicles and I can get them cheaper. So I get the tow capacity and all the little rubi parts I wanted, and none of the rubi parts I didn't want.
if I were to do it over again I would get the max tow instead of the rubicon for these reasons. Plus the current max tow version has a rear limited slip. I don’t regret my Rubicon. But yeah, the max tow with rubicon take offs is hell of a set up and value.

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
probably not much of a reason to buy anything besides that if your use case is just camping, forest roads, hauling gear, etc.
My max tow has the same axles as yours and its done a lot more than just cruise a forest road, even on the street tires it came with.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I would say, you can’t add all the rubicon stuff to a max tow and expect to keep your stock tow and hauling capacity. Changing out suspension and adding all the weight of additional parts is why the Rubicon has lower ratings.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
You get what you pay for in any purchase of a motor vehicle. Younger guys want to modify and add on more than us older more staid persons. My neighbor has a Wrangler and it groans every time he adds another whatever onto the top of it. His is the Moroccan Bazaar model. To each there very own. I am just about done adding anything in the bed except the Crazy Beaver shovel, which is back ordered. And plenty of room for Atticus to go desert riding. Anyone else attaching the Crazy Beaver shovel to the Jack with Fist Mounts? Just saw them mounted this way from a distributor in Colorado. I will though, add an AEV front bumper / Warn Winch and a Rock Hard rear bumper.

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep Bed 1

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep bed 2

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep bed 3

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep bed 4

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep bed 5

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Jeep bed 6

Last edited:

MHayes

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1952 VW Beetle 11G
I would say, you can’t add all the rubicon stuff to a max tow and expect to keep your stock tow and hauling capacity. Changing out suspension and adding all the weight of additional parts is why the Rubicon has lower ratings.
Exactly, and I believe a lot of people are missing that point!

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely not! If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing.
It's just a small truck for me and not a hard core off-road machine. But it it was I still wouldn't change anything. Just build up the Max tow they way I would want it.

Main reason for this option was the 4:10 gears, bigger alternator and trans cooler.

Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
I just wish I had had the patience to wait for the diesel.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Only thing I wanted that I didn't get with my Max-Tow was the lockers, I've not needed the 4:1 T-case (that can be to slow) and the "hands free" disconnect has been a problem for many in past Rubicon's. I got HD cooling, alternator, brakes axles ect. If the Mojave would have been out that would have been what I got... Overall no regret's if I was doing it over I'd get the same model and color. Plus I kept 15k plus in my pocket over a Rubicon.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
My max tow has the same axles as yours and its done a lot more than just cruise a forest road, even on the street tires it came with.
it comes with lockers installed front and rear ? The housings might be the same but the application is different I thought.

never was suggesting it’s not capable, just that you really don’t need lockers if that’s all you do, and that the axles are not worth anything as take offs unless they’re from the rubicon.