Rubicon with Max Tow Build

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
I may be a bit in the minority here, but with my mixed use of wheeling and RV towing my perfect trim would be a Rubicon with 7650lbs towing. Looking at current options I see two choices:
  1. Buy a Rubicon with the tow package and go to the aftermarket for:
    1. Wider front & rear axles, Dana 44 or 60 and 4.10 gears
    2. Upgraded brakes
  2. Buy a Sport S with max tow and go to the aftermarket for (there may be more, but this is what's got my eye):
    1. Radio w/8" screen and nav that integrates with hands-free, camera(s)
    2. Leather seats
    3. LED light package
    4. Front trail cam (I'm on the fence here, I've made it this long without one)
    5. Steel bumper
    6. Proximity key (not sure this is even possible after market)
    7. Rock rails
    8. Remote start
    9. Front and rear air lockers
    10. Sway bar disconnects (I can live without the push-button)
Option 1 may be the cheapest and quickest route, although I haven't priced out any of this. Is anyone else looking at something similar? Any comments on how crazy I am to be thinking of either of these options? :)
Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Why would you upgrade the axles on the Rubicon but not the Sport? They are the same axles minus the lockers (sport with max tow has the Dana 44 wide 4.10 gears just like the Rubicon).

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the Sport S and Rubicon both have the same wide axles with the only difference being the lockers. A Rubicon with an automatic trans towing capacity shouldn't be too much less than the Sport S, just adjusted for gvwr, perhaps adding a stiffer rear spring, if they are different on the two models.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I thought the Sport S and Rubicon both have the same wide axles with the only difference being the lockers. A Rubicon with an automatic trans towing capacity shouldn't be too much less than the Sport S, just adjusted for gvwr, perhaps adding a stiffer rear spring, if they are different on the two models.
Yes. The towering difference is likely due to the greater weight of the Rubicon and likely softer suspension.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only reference I've seen to the wide 4.10 axle is on the max tow package, no reference to a wide axle on the Rubicon that I've seen. Maybe I've just missed it but I thought that may contribute to the higher tow rating. If you're right, my build may be easier than I thought.

Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Here it is. Reference for gear ratios and axle width. 4.10 and wide axles Standard on the Rubicon/ Optional (with max tow package) on the sport

Screenshot_20190124-000640_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190124-000548_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190124-000521_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, thanks for setting me straight. That reminds me, I forgot the need for the upgraded transfer case on my second option.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Unless you absolutely need to tow the max (and if you can afford it), then Rubicon it up!

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Unless you absolutely need to tow the max (and if you can afford it), then Rubicon it up!
I'd go Rubicon and call it good. 7000 lbs is still a lot and everything is already pretty beefy.

OP
OP
BlackDog

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd go Rubicon and call it good. 7000 lbs is still a lot and everything is already pretty beefy.
This is the direction I'm leading, just wanted to spell out what a Sport build-up would look like. I'm currently in a GC with 7200 lbs towing capacity and 720 lbs tongue weight limit (stock ratings, but my Jeep is far from stock these days), and pull around an RV with a GVWR of 3800 lbs, so no issues there. Tongue weight is my limiting factor once I add in a bunch of stuff, family, and the dog.

When they announced 7650 lbs for the JT, I started dreaming of a Rubicon and a larger RV in my future. I may need to bring that dream back to reality a bit.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You can modify whatever you want, but at the end of the day the Sport has 650 lbs. more towing and nearly 400 lbs. more payload by law.

When you start loading camping gear into the truck or hook on a RV to the rear, that's a big deal.

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Def going to want to go Sport S then add aftermarket offroading goodies for several reasons.
  1. If you get into any type of wreck and your over what the Jeep says you are allowed to tow you will be in deep trouble, regardless of what mods you add.
  2. Trying to increase the towability of the Rubicon would be mainly guess work. You have no real way to rate how much more you can tow.
  3. There will be off road aftermarket parts galore out there. Mod to your heart's content and there is no legal or quantitative measurements you'd have to worry about.
  4. Sport S might be plenty capable an off roader for you to begin with. Save some money and only upgrade/mod off road ability when you find a shortcoming.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Except when you change the suspension tires and add other goodies your towing and payload will still effectively decrease.
The only reason the sport has a higher towing is because its lighter, and possibly has a firmer suspension. If you add the upgrades you'll be in the same boat as the Rubi

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I may be a bit in the minority here, but with my mixed use of wheeling and RV towing my perfect trim would be a Rubicon with 7650lbs towing. Looking at current options I see two choices:
  1. Buy a Rubicon with the tow package and go to the aftermarket for:
    1. Wider front & rear axles, Dana 44 or 60 and 4.10 gears
    2. Upgraded brakes
  2. Buy a Sport S with max tow and go to the aftermarket for (there may be more, but this is what's got my eye):
    1. Radio w/8" screen and nav that integrates with hands-free, camera(s)
    2. Leather seats
    3. LED light package
    4. Front trail cam (I'm on the fence here, I've made it this long without one)
    5. Steel bumper
    6. Proximity key (not sure this is even possible after market)
    7. Rock rails
    8. Remote start
    9. Front and rear air lockers
    10. Sway bar disconnects (I can live without the push-button)
Option 1 may be the cheapest and quickest route, although I haven't priced out any of this. Is anyone else looking at something similar? Any comments on how crazy I am to be thinking of either of these options? :)
Same exact issue here, same thought process, not needing towing but want heavier gear. I went lefty on price. I just can't get there. So for me I'm going all the hardware I can get on a sport max tow. Then bolt on any tech. I don't think LED will be as cool in the forest of a cool misty morning, just me it's too bright, but on sport I get the running lights and the cool fenders so it's the good deal. I want a plug in the bed, but don't want locking doors so okay on it aftermarket using aux switch. Eventually I'm an overland guy, but out the gate give me basic jeep truck and a little jingle left over.

For you I'd say what is more important? The interior and first class, or the towing prowess? You'll always be happy with first class and wife appeal. If you can tow it, go Rubi. My 2c.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Except when you change the suspension tires and add other goodies your towing and payload will still effectively decrease.
The only reason the sport has a higher towing is because its lighter, and possibly has a firmer suspension. If you add the upgrades you'll be in the same boat as the Rubi
In practicality that's true. You are exactly right.

But still, that printed info on the door jamb sticker is what the law and insurance companies may potentially use for or against you in the event of an accident, so if it was me I'd still go with the Sport just to give myself a little bit more wiggle room.
Sponsored