Sponsored

Any news on Inline-6 Hurricane engine coming to Gladiator?

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
You had a stock, low RPM, high low-end torque heavy I6.
Can't compare to the modern I6. I'd take an I6 over a V8.
You've seen the 800 hp 4.0, right?
I built the 4.0 I put into my little Eagle and get decent mpg, and it's pretty zippy for a 4.0.
If I had the energy, I'd put the experimental aluminum head I have on the shelf on it and lighten it up a bit.
A cam, shaving the stock head, MOPAR performance valve springs, H-S aluminum roller rockers, etc. and it does pretty well.

The V8 is yesterday.

If a 4xe JT could tow, they'd have my attention. But if the JT comes out with the new I6 - this 2022 may not be my forever truck.
I've seen 1000hp in a 1.9 , the point is what you're saying is that the torque and hp range can be achieved with the L6 and that's just great. V8s are not dead yet, and for pushing a Gladiator around a V8 would do a fine job.
Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Chevy just shut down the planned inline 6 with turbo they were going to use in trucks and big platforms. I hate to say it, as someone said above, we may never get the Hurricane. If it came out, I would be at dealer with an order and downpayment the next day.

What Jeep/Stelantis does is delay us who are ready to purchase another JT to delay that purchase because we want to see if the new engine is coming out. Then we start seeing what Chevy is doing with the 4 banger in the Colorado, 3 different power/torque levels.

I can keep this 3.6 to 150-200K it, then re-power with another 3.6. But maybe by that time, some self-swap kits will be well developed for us to install our own basic crate or low milage 5.7 hemi. Someone will get us a swap kit or complete instructions. Plug and Play!

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Again..... I am pretty sure we fall into the STLA frame group(s)........

Stellantis Media - Stellantis Debuts Hurricane Twin-turbo I-6 Engine That Cuts Emissions, Increases Fuel Economy <em>And</em> Is More Powerful (stellantisnorthamerica.com)

New Member of the Stellantis Propulsion System Family
The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. In North America, the 2.0-liter engine is currently available in the Jeep® Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and recently launched Grand Cherokee 4xe.

The Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is the primary internal combustion power plant of the future in North America for vehicles using the STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms.

The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is produced at Stellantis’ Saltillo Engine Plant in Mexico.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
91 octane required for both rated output engines, massive cooling system and two different oil viscosities required for for the two outputs. What could go wrong in the real world with that! Impressive power they both put out. You don't need to push a V8 like that to get the same result. Structural oil pan! They put a lot into the design and I'm sure it will add to the price. I'd like to hear what one sounds like.

Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
Again..... I am pretty sure we fall into the STLA frame group(s)........

Stellantis Media - Stellantis Debuts Hurricane Twin-turbo I-6 Engine That Cuts Emissions, Increases Fuel Economy <em>And</em> Is More Powerful (stellantisnorthamerica.com)

New Member of the Stellantis Propulsion System Family
The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. In North America, the 2.0-liter engine is currently available in the Jeep® Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and recently launched Grand Cherokee 4xe.

The Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is the primary internal combustion power plant of the future in North America for vehicles using the STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms.

The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is produced at Stellantis’ Saltillo Engine Plant in Mexico.
I had just finished reading this as well as a few other articles on the new engine. I wonder how it will run on 87 octane.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
91 octane required for both rated output engines, massive cooling system and two different oil viscosities required for for the two outputs. What could go wrong in the real world with that! Impressive power they both put out. You don't need to push a V8 like that to get the same result. Structural oil pan! They put a lot into the design and I'm sure it will add to the price. I'd like to hear what one sounds like.
They sound like a beast.

Torture Testing the Hurricane Twin Turbo Straight Six! - YouTube

OP
OP

TwelveSoldier

First Name
J T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator and Wrangler
I bet that option will be expensive if it comes to light.
I'm sure it will. But the diesel is a $4K+ option already. So, I'd pay that premium again if it meant easier to find parts and such. Not looking forward to expensive high octane though.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 2 Door Sport 6MT & 2022 JT 6MT Sport
Occupation
Mopar Dealer Tech
I still think they would sell better with a v8 or twin turbo v6. Inline 6? Looking to gain on torque? I think I would keep what I have over an inline 6. Wasn't thrilled with the TJ. It is not that I think the 3.6l is any better, but I don't see it worth the time and energy to trade up. On the other hand if a v8 was to come out from the factory, I'd go for it. Tell me your thoughts on the inline 6.
The new 3.0 Hurricane motors are twin turbo straight 6’s based off rhe same platform as the 2.0T found in the JL and a number of other things. The standard one makes more power and torque then a 5.7 and peak torque at a lower RPM, the HO variant makes more power then a 6.4 and same story on torque etc

Sponsored

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I thought I'd be keeping my diesel for a very long time. If they release this motor in the gladiator with those specs that would change very quickly.

Cansberry

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport
Occupation
Professional Crayon Eater
They have already said they'll drop it as a crate motor. I'm content to wear out the 3.6L I have, then plug and play the crate engine. Especially since I have the manual, and don't want to get the mandatory automatic that would come with it.

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I bet that option will be expensive if it comes to light.
If this happens (IF), it will no doubt be an engine option with a 2.0 liter (or something similar) becoming the base engine. The Pentastar will be history then. :(

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
im all in for a I6 with or without turbos will be a vast improvement over this V6

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The inherent design of a straight six makes it the longest lasting motor. If it was not for the long length, the V6 would not have been required. If you look throughout automotive history, the straight six in all brands has always been the longest lasting motors. Personally, I do not like turbos in a 4WD, so, if we could get a big bore, ie. 4.6 liter, straight six with good compression, double overhead cam, great torque, requiring 91 octane, for the JT, that would make me smile.
Sponsored