Anyone has jeep refuse warranty work with out having receipts for oil changes

Mjolnir

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Willys, 2020 Gladiator
I was able to pull up the receipts from Walmart for my oil and filter purchases. However I don’t see how jeep could still not warranty because of no receipts, does anyone know if it states in the manual you must save receipts? Also it was roughly 17,000 miles gap since from what they had on record, could that really have caused an issue anyway? I mean they saw when they changed my oil it looked good and it was the full 5qts. It really just seems like they don’t want to deal with the issue. I think the biggest problem was they didn’t understand why I didn’t use my free oil changes. I told them I don’t trust dealerships. Now I’m waiting for the dealership to approve the work which I don’t understand what they need to approve, truck is still under warranty and I’ve provided documentation. I could really see if I had 60,000 miles and no service records but that’s not the case.
The verbiage would deff be in the warranty, not sure if that is included in the manual (haven't looked at it in a while so cant remember if it is in there or not). If a dealership believes a vehicle has been neglected by a customer, then comes in for warranty work for an engine noise, you would be hard pressed to find any dealership for any company anywhere that would accept it under warranty.

Now obviously this is a different situation since you HAVE been taking care of it. It is all about proving that things have been done correctly, on schedule per manual, correct items used, etc. I did this for years with my JK without issues. Dealership Erring on the side of caution is acceptable: not even looking at your truck and denying that you actually took care of it/were consistent with scheduled maintenance is NOT acceptable.
Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This has everything to do with the quality of that particular dealership. I recently took my wife's JL in for a warranty issue and in the end it was related to something I did. My dealership corrected the issue and still processed it as a warranty. It frustrates me to no end how certain manufactures chose to handle warranty claims and will deny such claims in such short order. But at the end of the day they can do so since we are still kicking down their door to buy their product ... until sales start to reflect their quality or lack of customer service, nothing will change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Anyone know the usual time frame on how long it takes a dealership to approve warranty work? I thought I would have heard something back today after emailing photos of receipts and proof I changed my oil.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Anyone know the usual time frame on how long it takes a dealership to approve warranty work? I thought I would have heard something back today after emailing photos of receipts and proof I changed my oil.
They're probably going over the whole truck to find SOME REASON to void.

Example:

You added a grab handle. The increased weight caused excessive load on the engine which in turn caused abnormal wear, creating 3k RPM shimmy.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
They're probably going over the whole truck to find SOME REASON to void.

Example:

You added a grab handle. The increased weight caused excessive load on the engine which in turn caused abnormal wear, creating 3k RPM shimmy.
I have the truck with me. They refused yesterday to work on it because I didn’t have receipts for the oil I bought to change myself. I found the receipts and emailed them yesterday at 4pm. I called today and the service lady said she forward email to their warranty manager. I was hoping they would have just looked at the photos and approved it so I can get in a loaner and get this thing fixed

Sponsored

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
The dealer in question sounds like a crook. I have never heard of this policy. Lots of people change their own oil.

OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
The dealer in question sounds like a crook. I have never heard of this policy. Lots of people change their own oil.
Yea definitely seem like crooks. I just don’t think they wanted to mess with it. It’s been since last Tuesday and I’m still waiting on them to approve warranty even tho I’ve show proof of receipts. So I’ve been car shopping

gladtohave

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Online sales
The free carfax that you get with the jeep vehicle actually lets you upload receipts for services you've performed. I take advantage of that personally.
Now that is something I learned today . Thanks

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I have the truck with me. They refused yesterday to work on it because I didn’t have receipts for the oil I bought to change myself. I found the receipts and emailed them yesterday at 4pm. I called today and the service lady said she forward email to their warranty manager. I was hoping they would have just looked at the photos and approved it so I can get in a loaner and get this thing fixed
These people are being dicks.
Toyota gave me a new frame ten years out of warranty.
This is absurd.

Last edited:

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If Jeep dealers and other dealers actually used certified technicians to do oil changes, this would be much less of an issue. It speaks volumes that Jeep literally gave me multiple, free oil changes when I bought my JT, but I refused to even consider using those free changes. I will not allow Bill and Ted or Beavis and Butthead to work on my vehicle.

I know the current situation is the proverbial race to the bottom. Dealers are literally hiring high school dropouts to do oil changes in order to compete with Jiffy Lube. While I would certainly pay more for certified technicians, I get it that most people just want cheap. This attitude is destroying auto parts stores as well as dealer service. On the other hand, dealers significantly overcharging for simple work or for unnecessary work sure doesn't help either.
I just learned this. I pulled in with my radiator visibly steaming and when they pressure tested it it came up good.

I said I had a hard time believing that. So did the service writer who saw the steam. Her comment to me was, let me have someone else check it. I had the "lube tech" do the work.

In their defense, they got me in on the same day and put the guy right on it. I was actually pleasantly surprised after hearing stories of Jeeps sitting for 2 weeks at dealers before they even get looked at.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, it's a good spot they themselves give you.

I tend to go over a little overboard. I'll do the Jeep app, the Fuelly app, I'll do paper receipts in a binder and now Geico let's my report it through their app (it's connected to CarFax or something?).

I remember buying a dirtbike from 1987 back in 2014. The owner had every document from the original purchase, every oil change, receipts from every washer ever used, etc. It was nice to see and every vehicle I've owned from that point forward has had a similar binder. It really helps to get your buyers to know you were serious about maintaining your things. It also helps you track just what you've done and how much it's cost you.. just keep your wife away from it! :D
When I bought my 90XJ in 99 it had a folder from the dealership of all of it's services and maintenance even ones not done there. After I bought it, I found out at around 50-65k it had a dealership warranty long block replacement even. :rock::like:

Back to topic:
I log it in the Jeep service app. and the oil analysis from Blackstone too. In next few weeks I need to send them another sample to test, I generally send a "mid oil life" sample to test. Mine is over 60k now and off-hand I couldn't remember how many oil changes it's had without the app / Blackstone lab reports. 🙄 In the past I kept a log of what and when I did any services to my vehicle's in a Rite-in-rain notebook or clipboard. Heck I have a log of all fuel and oil changes in my MJ still that goes back to when it was brand new.

Oh the dentist situation posted in this thread hit close to home with the one I've been using for about 2 years. My dental insurance sent me the paperwork for my dental reconstruction and what they cover, what the dentist have under contract and my costs was to be a few days later the dentist office called me and said my costs was over 3 times the information I was due to pay. So it's a "coming to Jesus meeting" when I call them back.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LiftedrubiconJT

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Tear it apart? I usually have a great idea of what the noise is and where it's coming from before I tear into something so I don't pull a pan for a lifter noise.
I know of a car that had a rod knock that was fixed by tightening the flex plate bolts. Repair - 30 minutes.
I hope they are troubleshooters and don't just tear into it before the know what they are looking for.
Shadowspapa,
Could loose flex plate bolts cause a fluttering sound? When I auto start my truck I can hear a weird noise from transmission area

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Shadowspapa,
Could loose flex plate bolts cause a fluttering sound? When I auto start my truck I can hear a weird noise from transmission area
I suppose depending on what's loose - meaning how many and how loose. I've not had opportunity to really get into the details of some of these like that.
I recall with a Camaro my wife had when we were first married - I think it was an 87, anyway, I was sure it had a rod knock or busted flex plate, or something really serious, I can't recall too many details of my thinking on it, but we had just moved to a house in the country with gravel drives, and a really crappy garage that was full of junk, and my tools were in storage. I gritted my teeth, swallowed a bit of pride, and got her car to a local Chevy dealership and told them it was likely a busted flex plate - or possible rod.
We got back home and a couple hours later I got a call from the dealership - the car was ready to go. I asked how much - no charge.
They said they got it on the hoist, pulled the bell housing cover to look up inside, unbolted the torque converter and slid it back, and found the flex plate bolts were loose.
They tightened things up and put it back together. Luckily my wife mentioned the sound right away so there was no real damage done - it didn't rip up the holes or bolts or anything.
Sponsored