Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Took her out for a drive. everything functions fine. Decided to take a peak underneath when I got home to see if i needed to wash the underside. Rear area of the trans pan was moist. put some on my finger and looked pink like trans fluid. It didnt have much of a smell. I cant think of any sort of highway or dirt road liquid that would do that. Cleaned it up a little and gonna go for a spin and recheck. But seems awful suspicious.

curious if anyone has had a leak on their trans…

2,150 miles on the OD
Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
You sure it’s not coolant? Mine was
Ugh. Are you serious?? Tell me more please.
and how would coolant get to the back of the trans pan??

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Jeep Gladiator Anyone have trans leaks? 3865D35A-0B34-4E21-BDA5-62369D210B24

i noticed the fluids on that shiny lip next to the weep hole. The back of the trans was damp (coulda been water from puddles) and so was the gasket. Parts of the sides of the pan were also damp. I see where the cooler hoses go into the transmission and all that was dry i cluding that weird box looking thing the coolant hoses go into before going into the transmission. (weird design i wonder what that thing is). I saw no fluid trails going down the side of the transmission. So i am 90% confident it came from the pan gasket, or the weep hole.

washed and dried it best as i could and did a quick 30 mile highway drive. nothing appears to be leaking. weird.

the fluid i saw most certainly had a reddish/pinkish tint to it. But did not have a string odor. So if it was coolant i would be confused where its coming from

not what i need right now. I really hope it was just dirty water from the 3 small potholes i went through today. :-(

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Well. Its leaking all right. Just got home from a short trip to town and back. 160 miles. Totally wet under the rear of the trans. Not sure if its coolant or trans fluid. Its pink. If its coolant its leaking from inside and goung out through the weep hole

I am furious. 2300 miles. With a major surgery soon I absolutely NEED a reliable vehicle. Calling dealer tomorrow.

anyone able to share what their leak was?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Question - what would coolant be doing at the BACK of the transmission?
Just wondering......

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Question - what would coolant be doing at the BACK of the transmission?
Just wondering......
no idea. Somebody else mentioned it so i looked and then saw what looked like coolant lines gojng to the trans. Maybe that was the trans lines. The fluid is awful pink. Not sure what color the atf is these days but the fluid looked the same color as thepink coolant. I did not see any wetness or signs of fluid going down around the side of the bellhousing - so i doubt anything is leaking at the engine. Ill try and get a couple pictures.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
The spot where my finger is is where i noticed it first Last weekend. Cleaned it all off. Only drove it maybe 200 miles. You can see the fluid color better next to the pan

Jeep Gladiator Anyone have trans leaks? D4604348-C424-42D7-8F25-8242F7940100

Jeep Gladiator Anyone have trans leaks? 2618DEB3-672E-4CAE-AD69-BF6252E5A4FF

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
no idea. Somebody else mentioned it so i looked and then saw what looked like coolant lines gojng to the trans. Maybe that was the trans lines. The fluid is awful pink. Not sure what color the atf is these days but the fluid looked the same color as thepink coolant. I did not see any wetness or signs of fluid going down around the side of the bellhousing - so i doubt anything is leaking at the engine. Ill try and get a couple pictures.
Transmission cooler lines to to the front - carrying ATF to be cooled.

The fluid in the other pic looks a lot like ATF rather than coolant.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Transmission cooler lines to to the front - carrying ATF to be cooled.

The fluid in the other pic looks a lot like ATF rather than coolant.

Atf is a lot lighter in color these days. Must be the rear seal leaking. Literally just ruined my entire summer. Was gonna take next week off and have a little fun before being laid up in recovery.

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Took her out for a drive. everything functions fine. Decided to take a peak underneath when I got home to see if i needed to wash the underside. Rear area of the trans pan was moist. put some on my finger and looked pink like trans fluid. It didnt have much of a smell. I cant think of any sort of highway or dirt road liquid that would do that. Cleaned it up a little and gonna go for a spin and recheck. But seems awful suspicious.

curious if anyone has had a leak on their trans…

2,150 miles on the OD
I had seepage from the pan at 1000 miles and knew the dealer would not consider it a leak unless there was an actual drip I decided to retorque all the pan bolts. 34000 miles now and all has been good

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I had seepage from the pan at 1000 miles and knew the dealer would not consider it a leak unless there was an actual drip I decided to retorque all the pan bolts. 34000 miles now and all has been good
I had thought about that. Whats the torque speed? I dont have a wrench but might be able to borrow one. I also works be nervous about the lever since i didnt see a dip stick

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had thought about that. Whats the torque speed? I dont have a wrench but might be able to borrow one. I also works be nervous about the lever since i didnt see a dip stick
I believe it was 89 inch pound may want to see if you can find on web since I’m not sure

Last edited:

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
So the auto ATF in these is green. That’s likely the bad transfer case seal that uses regular red ATF. Do a search on here, there was something about the trans and transfer cases getting assembled incorrectly and the tail shaft was damaging the transfer case seal where the trans tail shaft mated… if my old memory recalls correctly.