Sponsored

Anyone move from a fullsize pickup to a Gladiator and regret it?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I kept the SuperDuty F250 as my work truck, and traded the AWD sedan in on the Gladiator.
The Gladiator is quite capable up to 1500 lbs., and can carry 4x8 sheet goods with the tailgate in mid-position.
And it’s a blast to drive!

Kevin
Sponsored

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
My first truck was a 2003 S-10 ZR2. I loved that truck and had it for about 10 years until circumstances forced me to sell it. Several months later we needed a tow vehicle and I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport. That truck was so nice and comfortable. I always thought back to that little S-10 though. I was finally able to order the Gladiator that I wanted and sold the Ram on Craigslist for $1,000 less than I bought it for years ago. If you’re thinking about doing it then now is a great time to be selling.

For me the Gladiator is the best of everything. It feels like an older vehicle, which I like, but is modern and comfortable. It will tow a boat and my utility trailer no problem. Honestly after having the 4.3L Vortec V6 and the 5.7L Hemi, I think the Pentastar has plenty of get up for a truck but won’t tempt me into speeding ticket territory. Again, the best all around vehicle for me and I am stoked to finally have one. Oh yeah, convertible!

0BD6654C-8B5B-4F02-A197-64B5D3B274E8.jpeg

45C00ADE-EF05-4B48-BA0E-08BEF735654D.jpeg

D258E065-8227-41F0-8E9E-58ABEFB77D14.jpeg

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I went from a 2019 ram crew cab to the gladiator. Some things that I miss from the Ram:
1) The hemi, that thing was glorious compared to the anemic pentastar.
2) The interior space. Not just for passengers just for stuffing things even with kids in the back. From a quad cab though probably will be similar.
3) The easy highway cruise. The ram was at home at 80-85 on the highway. The wind didn't blow it around, it didn't wander it just went straight and was damn good at it.

Some things I love about the gladiator:
1) It's a convertible
2) it's a hell of a lot easier to park
3) it's an adult Lego with tons of bolt ons and add-ons
4) it can take 37s stock if it's a Rubicon or mojave
5) It's a lifestyle with events and the camaraderie between jeepers is just awesome
6) it's more fun to drive everywhere except the highway.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Gladiator. I use the bed to haul wood, golf bags, make dump trips so a 5 foot vs 5'7" bed makes little difference for me. Towing, same thing I'd occasionally tow a 23 foot boat, both can do that no problem. If I needed a big bed routinely, towed more than 5k, or spent all my miles on the highway the gladiator would not be my pick between the 2. But since none of those are true, the gladiator is just way more fun
Exactly this. I went from a 2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab, and here is what I *occasionally* miss:
1. Interior space; when I'm loaded up with the wife, the kiddo, and two dogs to head to the cabin, it's tight. Luggage definitely goes in the bed.
2. Cruising at highway speeds: 80-85 mph was a breeze and quiet in the F150
3. Bed height: not something that I even considered before I bought the Gladiator, but it is noticeable when I need to haul something under the tonneau.

That being said, this is by far my favorite modern/fuel injected vehicle. I'd make the trade again in a heartbeat, and here's why:
1. I am an aftermarket junkie. None of my vehicles have ever stayed stock, and never will. My wife hates that.
2. Top and doors off- self explanatory
3. Similar to driving a manual transmission, I feel that this is more of an "active" drive. More fun IMO
4. Parking lots are a breeze
5. The off-road capabilities for the price, can't be beat
6. It doesn't look like every other truck on the road
7. Has a similar feel to the JKU that I had, but I have bed space- best of both worlds.
8. Holds it's value
9. The bed is just small enough that no one asks me to help them move.

If you're looking for the roominess and comfort of a full size truck, a Gladiator may not be for you.
If you want something that's a blast to own and drive, go ahead and get that paperwork started for the trade. Just be aware that the following things will happen (maybe not in this order):
1. You're gonna have fun; when you drive it home, you will feel like a kid on Christmas morning
2. You're gonna catch yourself looking out your window into your driveway with a smile on your face
3. Heads will turn
4. Strangers will stop you to ask about your awesome truck
5. Strangers in passing Jeeps are gonna wave at you
6. You will find reasons to drive to the store
7. Your IQ will increase overnight
8. You will become better looking immediately

Ok, so those last two may be a stretch, but I am 99% sure that they could happen. The first 6 will definitely happen.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
IMO, As others have stated. If you can afford it; Keep the fullsize AND get the JT. Someday you may really miss your big truck that you're currently happy with.
I went from driving my F250 to my JT. I kept my F250 for towing trailers and the 8' bed.
But now my Mojave is my primary and loving it in every way.

If you can't afford two payments, pay off your fullsize first.
As much as I love my JT, I know I'd need a fullsize eventually.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
19’ toyota tacoma trd pro 6 speed manual > 19’ ford f150 2.7tt sport fx4 > 20’ jeep Gladiator. Love this damn truck. Its a keeper.

Sponsored

vjp

First Name
Van
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Construction
I wanted a Gladiator when they were first introduced but I had just flipped out of a 2018 Silverado High Country with that horrible 8 speed automatic into a 2019 High Country with a 6.2L and the 10 speed automatic. Loved the 2019 but couldn’t resist selling it back to the dealer 2 weeks ago for almost what I paid for it to be able to go get my 2021 Mojave. So far, I miss the 6.2 in the Silverado but only when I pull a trailer. I’m happy with the Gladiator! It’s an awesome ride.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone move from a fullsize pickup to a Gladiator and regret it? 83315C97-B5CB-47ED-9052-197CEA889FDB

Dawg Fan

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversay Gladiator
I came from GMC full size loaded only thing I miss is the vented seats but I do not regret the change. Nice to pull tops and door off.

en2dirt

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I went from a 2009 JKU Rubicon (which I kept until recently) to a 2015 Ram Rebel then to a 2018 Ram Power Wagon. Loved my Power Wagon with the room, amenities and power. But once the Gladiators came out, I just really liked their look and it being a truck and Jeep offroader. So after several months of back and forth, I pulled the trigger and traded in my Power Wagon for a 2021 Gladiator Rubicon in March. I haven't regretted it yet. Don't miss the size of that Power Wagon driving around town and parking it.

Cromation

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota 4Runner, 2011 F-150
Occupation
Cyber
Went from a 2011 F-150 Lariat to 2021 JTR. I wouldnt go back. A few things I miss are the AC seats and a slightly larger back seat for the kids but it was only RWD and driving my commute in the middle of winter was rough in that vehicle. I also enjoy being able to take Forest Service roads and other trails home when I need a couple hours to myself. I also rarely ever used the full size of the truck bed so the shorter bed should be fine for what I use it for(camping and yard work mostly.)

BuckeyeButch

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara, 2021 Gladiator Overland & 2000 Cor
Occupation
Retired
I went from a 2004 bought new Chev Silverado 2500 Duramax, to the Overland diesel. WOW am I happy I got the diesel.

This will be our DD and Toad behind the motorhome. If we keep it as long as the Silverado I'll be a happy camper.

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
I had a black Ram 1500 Night Edition Crew Cab. The only things I miss about it was the extra room and the V8 sound. Overall, I like the Gladiator more.

You can’t really go wrong either way unless you’re either

A) an extreme rock crawler

OR

B) Have a family with medium/large kids

My Ram was a damn good looking truck though. Just a tad too big for my needs.

Edit: I wish I took this picture a little to the right so the gear heads on the forum could see the small house sized reciprocating compressor behind the truck (CO2 recycle facility for oil and gas recovery).

Jeep Gladiator Anyone move from a fullsize pickup to a Gladiator and regret it? 2FD894BC-FC04-430A-9199-B38BA6360D5F

Last edited:

Evilmunky

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Science
2016 F150 Lariat to a Hybrid commuter car to the JT. I miss the ride quality, roominess and the ventilated seats from the F150. I don't miss squeezing it into small parking lots and garages. The JT rides well for not having IFS and I prefer the size overall. I don't haul or tow often so the JT fits my needs. Plus there's just something about a Jeep, it's fun.

DobaMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 23 JL Sahara 4xe
I traded a Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab for the Gladiator. I do miss the towing capacity, the extra room in the cab, and some options the Ram had the Gladiator does not.
But I love the size of the Gladiator in normal driving, the top, it's just more fun to drive even just going to the store.

I feel I gained much more than I lost.

Last edited:

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Exactly this. I went from a 2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab, and here is what I *occasionally* miss:
1. Interior space; when I'm loaded up with the wife, the kiddo, and two dogs to head to the cabin, it's tight. Luggage definitely goes in the bed.
2. Cruising at highway speeds: 80-85 mph was a breeze and quiet in the F150
3. Bed height: not something that I even considered before I bought the Gladiator, but it is noticeable when I need to haul something under the tonneau.

That being said, this is by far my favorite modern/fuel injected vehicle. I'd make the trade again in a heartbeat, and here's why:
1. I am an aftermarket junkie. None of my vehicles have ever stayed stock, and never will. My wife hates that.
2. Top and doors off- self explanatory
3. Similar to driving a manual transmission, I feel that this is more of an "active" drive. More fun IMO
4. Parking lots are a breeze
5. The off-road capabilities for the price, can't be beat
6. It doesn't look like every other truck on the road
7. Has a similar feel to the JKU that I had, but I have bed space- best of both worlds.
8. Holds it's value
9. The bed is just small enough that no one asks me to help them move.

If you're looking for the roominess and comfort of a full size truck, a Gladiator may not be for you.
If you want something that's a blast to own and drive, go ahead and get that paperwork started for the trade. Just be aware that the following things will happen (maybe not in this order):
1. You're gonna have fun; when you drive it home, you will feel like a kid on Christmas morning
2. You're gonna catch yourself looking out your window into your driveway with a smile on your face
3. Heads will turn
4. Strangers will stop you to ask about your awesome truck
5. Strangers in passing Jeeps are gonna wave at you
6. You will find reasons to drive to the store
7. Your IQ will increase overnight
8. You will become better looking immediately

Ok, so those last two may be a stretch, but I am 99% sure that they could happen. The first 6 will definitely happen.
your gladiator reason #9 should be #1!

Beewdawg

First Name
Brewdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Truck driver
Moved from a GMC 1500 club cab which I bought new in 1997 and still have (I tend to keep my vehicles for awhile) into my new JT. The GMC has been a great truck over the years, but is starting to show it's age and has some problems that'd cost more to fix than the truck is worth.
The first JT I saw was about 6 months ago at a car wash. Fell in love with them instantly. Started looking at them at the various dealerships in the area but they were all about $55 to $60k. More than I wanted to spend.
Looked at Taco's for a minute but didn't really want one of those.
Found the build you own Gladiator website and built one with the stuff I wanted and without the stuff I didn't..
Love my Jeep and don't miss that GMC one bit.
Sponsored