Sponsored

Anyone move from a fullsize pickup to a Gladiator and regret it?

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
I agree with most of the commenters here. I did not replace my Ford F-350 diesel as it is my heavy duty vehicle that I pull my horse trailer with.
My Mojave Gladdy is more for fun and sport and I traded in my Lincoln as I am retiring and will not need to be on the road so much.
The Gladiator doesn't compete with the full size pickups. Yes, it can carry small loads and tow moderate items, but it isn't a full size rig. Keep that in mind and try to balance things.
Sponsored

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Consolidated from a 392 Charger and a troublesome, used F150 to the Gladiator. I have a ton of fun with the Gladiator, but now that I've started to tow I'm really starting to miss the full size Truck. Once we have the Jeep loaded up for camping with 3 people, two dogs, and gear, its a tight fit. Would hate to lose the fun factor of the Jeep, but a full size truck would be more practical and useful for my current needs. Trading has crossed my mind with the current good values for used trade ins.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
I went from a 2019 ram crew cab to the gladiator. Some things that I miss from the Ram:
1) The hemi, that thing was glorious compared to the anemic pentastar.
2) The interior space. Not just for passengers just for stuffing things even with kids in the back. From a quad cab though probably will be similar.
3) The easy highway cruise. The ram was at home at 80-85 on the highway. The wind didn't blow it around, it didn't wander it just went straight and was damn good at it.

Some things I love about the gladiator:
1) It's a convertible
2) it's a hell of a lot easier to park
3) it's an adult Lego with tons of bolt ons and add-ons
4) it can take 37s stock if it's a Rubicon or mojave
5) It's a lifestyle with events and the camaraderie between jeepers is just awesome
6) it's more fun to drive everywhere except the highway.

Overall I'm extremely happy with my Gladiator. I use the bed to haul wood, golf bags, make dump trips so a 5 foot vs 5'7" bed makes little difference for me. Towing, same thing I'd occasionally tow a 23 foot boat, both can do that no problem. If I needed a big bed routinely, towed more than 5k, or spent all my miles on the highway the gladiator would not be my pick between the 2. But since none of those are true, the gladiator is just way more fun
I've never driven a Ram but highway cruising at high speed (even 90) is much improved after getting steering box upgraded under warranty plus mopar 2" lift. I was actually surprised at the improvement.

rymac986

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Traded in my 19 F150 crew cab for my 21 Willy’s. Love Ford and miss the interior room, but that’s about it. Still getting used to this Jeep thing, but so far it’s a blast to drive and be a part of!!

RegisterKJ67

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2016 JK Unlimited Willys
Occupation
Supervisor
At this point I wish I hadn't traded my Tacoma for the Gladiator. Right at 3000 miles and the dealership is putting a new transmission in it. Not to mention the run-around from the dealership service department. 3 weeks in the shop and I keep getting told that the mechanic just has a little bit left to do. I am starting to wonder if the whole "trade for a Gladiator" wasn't a mistake.

Sponsored

Lowcountryearl

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 TJ
Occupation
Biomedical Engineer
Well, I traded my 2019 Laramie Longhorn for two reasons, one is they gave me 56k for a truck I bought for 42k a year and half earlier and, just go tired of the same ole truck, been buying them for years. I find the lack of power helps my road rage, not enough power to get in a scuffle,,lol. I had people at work actually get mad at me for trading but you know what, it's my choice.
Difference in drive is noticeable but not horrible, I love the look of my Rubicon hood while driving, smaller cab =s better cooling and the cool factor, well there is no comparison. The one big complaint I have on the Gladiator is the height of the bed, it's low. So, I have a tonneau cover and my Yeti or Pelican cooler will not fit with the cover closed. I had to pull out the old Coleman steel belted cooler which barely fits but it does. Holds the same amount of beer so all good!

CPTRU1114

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
MFG
Vehicle Showcase
Love my ram classic quad cab.

Thinking of trading up.

Curious what people who've done something similar have to say?
So, I just did this about 3 weeks ago, I traded my 2018 Ram 1500 Rebel fully loaded (which I bought new). I had put over 103K miles on it. I loved my truck. Though back in DEC20/JAN21 I was being offered $18K for it, I assume due to the high miles. I went back 3 weeks ago, and they gave my $34K. I said "where do I sign?"

I traded her for a 2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, also fully loaded. As of right now, I do not regret it at all. Now I just finished moving houses in Nov '20, and I wouldn't be able to move as much as I did in the Gladitor as I would of with my Ram 1500. Other than that, my family and I love the Jeep.

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
Love my ram classic quad cab.

Thinking of trading up.

Curious what people who've done something similar have to say?
I had a 3 year old Ram 1500 Sport "Sublime" which were/are few and far between.
My wife named her 'Jessica' because she wasn''t Bad, she was just drawn that way.
When I came home with my Gator Mojave, she was a bit ticked, as it was more difficult for her to climb in the Mojave than Jessica.
My reply is biased as I've had a life long love affair with Jeeps, and when I traded in my Sahara Unlimited for Jessica so I could haul an RV's through the mountains of West VA, I always missed my Jeep.
The Gladiator is the best of both worlds, I can haul stuff (Not a 29 foot RV though) Go to Uwarrie and bounce through some good trails, haul a SxS to Hatfield and McCoy, Pontoon to the lake, and modify the heck out of it.
I would trade it again for the Mojave.

Boz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Sport S Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I went from a Ram 2500 4x4 Megacab diesel to my Gladiator. For the most part, since I retired the Ram sat in the driveway 95% of the time, and my days of hauling a 36' fifth wheel ended when I bought a motorhome. Loved the Ram, but it was time to pass it on to someone who could use it to its full potential.

Gage-Desoto

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Collision Shop Mgr.
I traded a 19 Ranger Lariat FX4 in for my 2020 Overland. I've owned 3 CJ7s years ago. Nice to be a member of Jeep Nation again.
Oh I have that same problem as another member, that Grin comes out when I'm driving.

Sponsored

SnazGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I now consider it a blessing that a lemon Ram, and a year long battle to get it purchased back by FCA, resulted in me getting a JTM.

Many 4x4 Rams over the years and a good number of Wranglers. The JT is just the right mix for my needs. I want to be able to drive just about anywhere from the beach to 6000 foot altitude in the mountains to the desert floor, through mud, floods etc any time of year, have an open roof, haul some stuff home from Lowe's without thinking much about it.

I was wondering how I'd store as much as I do in a truck without the Ram boxes. Two large zipper bags in the bed for those items that I can take out easily, including the bags, if needed. I did the Mopar hard bed cover so it's like a giant trunk. For yard clearance, bigger purchases, it flips back easy enough.

I miss the vented seats in the Ram. Surprsingly, I'm not even having Hemi withdraw. The JT is just a fun, easy to park, get into 4x4 etc set up.

The center storage compartment could be bigger for road trip snacks though!

AXG1040

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Mojave
I went from a Ram 2500 4x4 Megacab diesel to my Gladiator. For the most part, since I retired the Ram sat in the driveway 95% of the time, and my days of hauling a 36' fifth wheel ended when I bought a motorhome. Loved the Ram, but it was time to pass it on to someone who could use it to its full potential.
Did the exact same thing. 2014 Ram 2500 diesel. Sold the 5er and didn’t need it. Shocked what the gave me for trade in. Loving our new Mojave.

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I traded my F150 in on it and sold my LJ for it. It was a no brained for me. It combined my truck, which I must have, and my toy. The Gladiator toes my camper and my car hauler with my VW on it, or an XJ I will have in the future. I couldn’t be happier.

Sundownee

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7L diesel , 2005 Durango,
Occupation
Exp Eng. Tech
Omg, it seems a lot people see the price shock of buying trucks back as i did. I had no intention to trade in my 2013 Ram 2500 longhorn Diesel with only 150,000km, but I did just sell my Fifth wheel trailer for double what i would go for her a year ago, then the amount they are giving me for the Ram is way up, wow! same as others, time to take advantage and get me a Frickin Loaded JT diesel! thanks covid and chip shortage! I love my Ram but love money more hehehe, going to love this JT even more, hopes she builds soon.

awraynor

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Jeep Gladiator Anyone move from a fullsize pickup to a Gladiator and regret it? IMG_20191207_182452

2020 Tundra TRD Sport. Nice truck, but more than I needed. I drive about 3K per year, mostly in town to work and Lowe's. No towing, but interior was massive. 38 gallon tank which is about $100 to fill right now. Traded for 2K more than I paid.

The JT fits my needs. Scoot around town, occasional Lowe's trip and more manageable overall. It comes down to what your needs are.
Sponsored