Sponsored

Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach?

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
My left ring is loose and sometimes buzzes while driving. I want to superglue it but i can't figure out how to remove it. Should i just yank on it?

Anyone remove these to paint them or something?
Sponsored

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Are you sure it is the trim ring?

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Are you sure it is the trim ring?
Positive. I can tap on it and it’ll make a noise because it’s loose (compared to the other one) and if I keep my finger on it the noise doesn’t happen.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
I would not just "yank" them out. There's (3) little tabs that should be depressed from the backside towards the middle of the speedo circle. Once depressed, these remove very easily. If you just wanted to yank them out and break the clips, then you'd certainly have to super glue the ring back on. Here's some pics.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_095818

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_095824

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_095921

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_095934

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I would not just "yank" them out. There's (3) little tabs that should be depressed from the backside towards the middle of the speedo circle. Once depressed, these remove very easily. If you just wanted to yank them out and break the clips, then you'd certainly have to super glue the ring back on. Here's some pics.
this is EXACTLY the info I needed, thank you tons! That saves me some heartache. Now I just need to figure out how to get that piece out so I can get them from the back. Think there’s a YouTube video somewhere about pulling the dash panels.

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
this is EXACTLY the info I needed, thank you tons! That saves me some heartache. Now I just need to figure out how to get that piece out so I can get them from the back. Think there’s a YouTube video somewhere about pulling the dash panels.
No problem.. Yep, tons of YT videos on dash removal...

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Perhaps go around Heim ting and push to see if all the clips are engaged before doing anything else. The picture shows where clips are…..Jack

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Perhaps go around Heim ting and push to see if all the clips are engaged before doing anything else. The picture shows where clips are…..Jack
i did that. I’m sure they’re engaged as the ring sits flush like the other one does. It’s just got some play in it.

looks like it’s a bit of work to get that piece out so while I’m there I’ll superglue the other side at the same time. Just in case…

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
A word of caution. If you've never dealt with pulling plastic trim, make sure everything in the cab is warm before you start pulling pieces off. When cold, the plastic is brittle and will snap into itty bitty pieces.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
i did that. I’m sure they’re engaged as the ring sits flush like the other one does. It’s just got some play in it.

looks like it’s a bit of work to get that piece out so while I’m there I’ll superglue the other side at the same time. Just in case…
FWIW, when I'm chasing down little interior rattles and squeaks I typically use this felt tape. I think I got it from Amazon like 4 years ago. It seems to be very similar to what Mini Cooper used in our old rattlebox. I love it because it's sticky on one side and you can cut it and cram it into spots that friction rub or just need a little bit of "filler" between parts. Way less permanent than super glue. It is pretty incognito as well.

20240122_104833.jpg

20240122_104920.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
FWIW, when I'm chasing down little interior rattles and squeaks I typically use this felt tape. I think I got it from Amazon like 4 years ago. It seems to be very similar to what Mini Cooper used in our old rattlebox. I love it because it's sticky on one side and you can cut it and cram it into spots that friction rub or just need a little bit of "filler" between parts. Way less permanent than super glue. It is pretty incognito as well.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_104920

Jeep Gladiator Anyone remove the chrome rings around the speedometer/tach? 20240122_104920
I use this too. Especially to wrap wires that might tap up against plastic panel pieces. Love this stuff.

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
A word of caution. If you've never dealt with pulling plastic trim, make sure everything in the cab is warm before you start pulling pieces off. When cold, the plastic is brittle and will snap into itty bitty pieces.
noted. I’m thinking twice about pulling it all apart as I’m sure with my luck I’ll lose some of those clips behind the dash and they’ll inevitably land somewhere I won’t be able to reach them AND they’ll make rattle noises as well.

might get some black cardstock and cut a piece to wedge behind the trim ring instead.

OP
OP
jav_eee

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Ok i got it done yesterday and in pretty short time, surprisingly. thanks to darkhorse13 for those pics they helped a lot. I popped the rings off with no damage, laid a bead of superglue around where they sat and got them back together. Took the opportunity to cover the edge of the long dash trim, where it rubs the other dash piece, with that cloth tape to prevent future squeaks and rattles.

Again, thanks to all for their input!
Sponsored