Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Pulling the trigger on a new Diesel JTR as soon as my current truck sells, so naturally coming up with a build plan! Curious who's done air bumps and any feedback on them.

I drive fast in the desert and sometimes while towing a Tentrax tent trailer in my current YJ and plan the same for the JT except for maybe plus size the trailer someday. Also will be obviously driving to the destination area 300+ miles each way on any given trip which I don't do with the YJ for the most part due to comfort......The reason for condensing/upgrading. I also have no problem with getting little air time in the YJ, but figuring those days will be over once I have $80K into the JT..........

I plan the normal 37's with the minimal amount of lift to clear the tires and still have decent up travel.....Probably 2-3". That said, some type of progressive bump will probably be required! I currently run the Daystar Stingers on the YJ....They have served me well and fit the budget at the time, but looking to step up my game on the JT build. Thinking either Fox 2.0 w/IQS (Assuming thy put them into production) or Fox 2.5's and Fox's airbump kits. The 3.0's will be major overkill and the expense is off the hook!

Not sure right now if I will do an entire "Kit" or just so springs, run the factory arms, and lengthen the track bars slightly. Did an Evo 4.5 Enforcer Overland Stage 4+ with 37's on a client's JT and it came out real nice, but it's TALL! The Evo spec Kings were OK on the road until he added a bunch of weight including a rooftop tent, but we have since increased the nitrogen pressures as a short term solution until they get revalved.

On the fence as to whether I should truss the axle housings? Done a ton of TJ/JK sleeve and truss kits over the years........ Not interested in doing the 60s and adding a tone of extra weight as this wont be a rock crawler.
Sponsored

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Interested in this as well. Wondering if the factory bumps from a Mojave would get me by but not sure what those cost and if it’s close to an aftermarket bump how much better off I would be with other options.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Looking at the Timbren ones, especially after my last trip to JV. I was on the bumpstops quite a bit more than I'd prefer, even with Fox shocks.

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Rough Country hydraulic bump stops in mine on the front. They're a little bit of a love-hate relationship as far as I'm concerned. My lift is a 3" RK Pro-X No Limits Stage 1. I have roughly 3 inches of travel to bumps, then they provide an additional 3 inches of travel or so. But they produce a "clunk" on contact. I haven't tuned them yet (adding/reducing pressure). They're are awesome going over heavy big bumps though.

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interested in this as well. Wondering if the factory bumps from a Mojave would get me by but not sure what those cost and if it’s close to an aftermarket bump how much better off I would be with other options.
I'm sure the Mojave bumps will cost more than buying aftermarket!

Sponsored

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looking at the Timbren ones, especially after my last trip to JV. I was on the bumpstops quite a bit more than I'd prefer, even with Fox shocks.
I've installed a lot of Timbrens over the past 25 years, but I don't think they will be as progressive as I would be looking for off road. Work great st controlling body roll with overhead campers though!

Have a look at the Sumo Springs and also Metal Cloak has their own progressive bump now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the Rough Country hydraulic bump stops in mine on the front. They're a little bit of a love-hate relationship as far as I'm concerned. My lift is a 3" RK Pro-X No Limits Stage 1. I have roughly 3 inches of travel to bumps, then they provide an additional 3 inches of travel or so. But they produce a "clunk" on contact. I haven't tuned them yet (adding/reducing pressure). They're are awesome going over heavy big bumps though.
I have never considered RC as a quality suspension manufacturer, but I'll have a looksee!

KHam

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have never considered RC as a quality suspension manufacturer, but I'll have a looksee!
I'm not really a fan of their suspensions but the bumps are basically just a shock. They do work like they're supposed to. Between these bump stops and the 4-link rear suspension from the RK Pro-X it's a pleasure to drive over some seriously lumpy terrain at speed.
The sandy area I picked has a lot of big "whoops" in it carved out by quad bikes and dirt bikes so it makes a great testing area. I've driven my Ford Raptor through these same bumpy areas for testing as well and I can say my Gladiator with this setup is out performing the Raptor at speed on the big bumps. The Raptor was more comfortable over the little rapid bumps though with the softer suspension.

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
Hey Tony...interesting thread. I'm curious as to why you decided to go with the diesel and build as opposed to using the Mojave as a starting point? Seems like it would have a lot of things you're looking for for the type of driving you mention.

Not pushing any trim either way...honest question. Maybe it's a range question? Good luck with your build...

OP
OP
CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Tony...interesting thread. I'm curious as to why you decided to go with the diesel and build as opposed to using the Mojave as a starting point? Seems like it would have a lot of things you're looking for for the type of driving you mention.

Not pushing any trim either way...honest question. Maybe it's a range question? Good luck with your build...
I've considered all the vehicle trims and how I could build each one out, but keep coming back to the Rubicon. F&R lockers and sway bar disconnect. Another thing is the Fox shocks the Mojave comes with will likely be coming off anyway with the lift and no rear bumps factory? I figured for the same base price, Rubi was a better fit.

I could add the lockers myself, but ARBs are the only offering as of right now and I'm not a fan due to all the possible failure points. Over the years of being in the biz, I have worked on more ARBs (leaks) than I have new installs. Eaton still doesn't offer an elocker for many applications, so they may never get to the JL/JT axles.

3.6 doesn't do it for me and it appears from reviews the diesel could be tolerable power wise....no diesel in the Mojave!

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
I've considered all the vehicle trims and how I could build each one out, but keep coming back to the Rubicon. F&R lockers and sway bar disconnect. Another thing is the Fox shocks the Mojave comes with will likely be coming off anyway with the lift and no rear bumps factory? I figured for the same base price, Rubi was a better fit.

I could add the lockers myself, but ARBs are the only offering as of right now and I'm not a fan due to all the possible failure points. Over the years of being in the biz, I have worked on more ARBs (leaks) than I have new installs. Eaton still doesn't offer an elocker for many applications, so they may never get to the JL/JT axles.

3.6 doesn't do it for me and it appears from reviews the diesel could be tolerable power wise....no diesel in the Mojave!
Copy...makes sense. Thanks for the response...I'll be watching with interest! Good luck!
Sponsored