Sponsored

Anyone running steel bumpers without a winch?

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I love my Gladiator, but it just bugs the crap out of me that the bumpers are plastic. I'd like to get steel or aluminum bumpers (at least the front), but most that catch my eye seem like they would look odd with no winch in the giant hole. Full length preferred. Rugged Ridge's Venator is near the top of my list, but I have yet to see one without a winch, and the cut out on that one is so much empty space. I may decide on a winch down the road, but for now just want a decent steel bumper. Budget is $1000 unless something just blows me away. So if I may, please post your aftermarkets bumpers without winches if you have them. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Dare I make a strange suggestion. The Rubicon bumper is mostly? steel. I see them on craig's list from time to time fairly cheep.
This is what I was going to try and put on my glad when it finally gets delivered.

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I've been looking for a Rubicon takeoff since I got mine in March but only plastics have appeared so far. I'd be stoked to find one of those at the right price. Which I'm not even sure what is. I saw one on FB Marketplace for $300 before I got my JT and have kicked myself for not buying it since.

Sponsored

BRMoose

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
PM
Following, I’m looking for the same in full width

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
What about the Dv8 lookalike or the oem knockoff (or same Chinese factory) ebay ones? They even include fog lights and wiring I believe

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I ordered mine with the MOPAR steel front bumper. I'm also going to order a rear bumper and leaning towards LOD as that's what I had on my JK. I just like the extra protection they provide.

I was actually rear ended in my JK when I had my LOD bumper. The bumper had a scratch and this is what happened to the other car...

IMG_20210722_200647.jpg

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I love my Gladiator, but it just bugs the crap out of me that the bumpers are plastic. I'd like to get steel or aluminum bumpers (at least the front), but most that catch my eye seem like they would look odd with no winch in the giant hole. Full length preferred. Rugged Ridge's Venator is near the top of my list, but I have yet to see one without a winch, and the cut out on that one is so much empty space. I may decide on a winch down the road, but for now just want a decent steel bumper. Budget is $1000 unless something just blows me away. So if I may, please post your aftermarkets bumpers without winches if you have them. Thanks!
I like the Rugged Ridge Spartacus. It comes with a cover plate for the winch hole. Buy it with the winch plate, for $850, and leave the cover on until you're ready to install a winch.
https://ruggedridge.com/p/rugged-ridge-spartacus-front-bumper/rgr-11544-23/

OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Can I see that on your Jeep? I'm finding some photos Googling but they tend to be shown with a winch.
Edited to add: Hmm, I wonder if that cover plate would fit the Venator?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Can I see that on your Jeep? I'm finding some photos Googling but they tend to be shown with a winch.
Edited to add: Hmm, I wonder if that cover plate would fit the Venator?
I don't have one, yet. The Spartacus is the one I picked out, but not quite ready to spend the money.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
I went with the Arcus just because I love the look of it, but it's not the ideal candidate for no winch. Here's how it looks without, still great and much better than stock, but I know that's a big hole for a winch ha even if most random people don't.

I struggle with the winch idea too.... It's just not something that will be used much at all, and will end up being installed mostly for looks. The type of off road driving we do here are mostly fire roads/mountain trails and knock on wood, in 20 years we've never actually needed a winch. Just use another buddies truck and straps/shackles when occasionally needed.

So, I'm 50/50 of either just installing a winch or fabricating a cover that fills the hole.

Pics just for an idea until I make up my mind:

20210716_194221487_iOS (4).jpg

NateKY

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sarge Green
Occupation
Department of the Army Civilian

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
OP
OP
Blue Ridge

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
I can't decide if that hole would be something I stopped seeing or saw more every time I looked at my truck! Hoping I hear back from RR soon about the chance that the plate cover on the Spartacus fits and could be bought separately.
I may go that route if no takeoffs materialize, but reviews seem to be hit or miss on them coming with scratches and no instructions. I'd much rather pay roughly the same $ for a Mopar one that someone replaced, though for all I know they are indistinguishable.
Sponsored