Sponsored

Anyone upgraded the 4" speakers in the sound bar?

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
  • Banned
I bought the kicker 3.5"s for the top of the dash and the smaller sound bar speakers. Right now considering the 4" upgrade to the Infinity ref 4022cfx for the other 4, but not sure if the infinity is worth the upgrade.
Sponsored

go0001

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland Sting Gray
Occupation
Technology
I bought the kicker 3.5"s for the top of the dash and the smaller sound bar speakers. Right now considering the 4" upgrade to the Infinity ref 4022cfx for the other 4, but not sure if the infinity is worth the upgrade.
The Kicker 47KSC404 appear to fit the 4” mounting locations in the JL and JT Soundbar even though Crutchfield doesn’t have them as a match. See the reviews:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSC40/Kicker-47KSC404.html

kooltoys

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTD, 90 300zx TT, 07 Nightrain, MB 3.0L Diesel
Occupation
AV Design/Programming
I installed the infinity 3.5 in the dash and am very happy with them.. I have used infinity components for years.. I see kicker as a amp and sub company, never been impressed with their mid and highs.. Keep in mind I'm 45, so my car audio days was 25-30yrs ago..
I'll add that I own and operate my own Home AV and automation company for 15-20yrs

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Some of the 3½" speaker options available will not fit in the soundbar.
It the terminals aren't 90Âş from the mounting ears, the grill on the right side won't
clear the speaker.

Kevin

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
  • Banned
I installed the infinity 3.5 in the dash and am very happy with them.. I have used infinity components for years.. I see kicker as a amp and sub company, never been impressed with their mid and highs.. Keep in mind I'm 45, so my car audio days was 25-30yrs ago..
I'll add that I own and operate my own Home AV and automation company for 15-20yrs
I ended up returnng the kickers and went also with the Infinity for the front dash, really good. Then I went with the ssv adapter for the sound bar and upgraded to a 6.5" JBLs in the sound bar. Not exactly where I would like it but a huge improvement with no amp or sub. No more poping or cracking with volume and the bass is much better without the amp.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
  • Banned
Some of the 3½" speaker options available will not fit in the soundbar.
It the terminals aren't 90Âş from the mounting ears, the grill on the right side won't
clear the speaker.

Kevin
I tried the smaller speakers in the soundbar and believe me not worth it. I took them out and went with the ssv adapter for 6.5" and 86ed the tweeters.

Sallaman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I went with kickers 3 1/2’s in both the dash and the kicker 3 1/2 and 4’s in the soundbar. I also got some kicker 4s for the front knee speakers just have put those in yet. The knee Speakers are a pain to replace so i haven't decided if im going to replace the pods with something bigger on those... Bang for the buck the kickers were a good buy. I paid around 150 shipped for all 8 and even though i only replaced 6 speakers the highs, mids and volume are a 1000 times better than the factory.. as for the bass, it had no bass before and it still doesn't. Im going to put in a 8 inch sub to help with that.

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
  • Banned
The knee pods are next, let us know if you get them in finally. Would also be cool to see how you hook up the sub.

MOJTAVE

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Housekeeper
I went with kickers 3 1/2’s in both the dash and the kicker 3 1/2 and 4’s in the soundbar. I also got some kicker 4s for the front knee speakers just have put those in yet. The knee Speakers are a pain to replace so i haven't decided if im going to replace the pods with something bigger on those... Bang for the buck the kickers were a good buy. I paid around 150 shipped for all 8 and even though i only replaced 6 speakers the highs, mids and volume are a 1000 times better than the factory.. as for the bass, it had no bass before and it still doesn't. Im going to put in a 8 inch sub to help with that.
what model number were the 4” and are they plug and play?

sizmtrz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU, 2021 JL Gladiator
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Very happy with my CT Sounds components. Word of warning…. When working the metra pod into place on the driver side be cautious of the top mounting horn. I snapped mine off. The other two mounting points suffice and there is no vibration, but it still bothers me.

5BFEE4A1-6B44-4704-A850-3680CD93112D.jpeg

A8014E7D-1F28-435C-AEBC-76C6604D0423.jpeg

57F746B3-4834-4C06-AB7E-06A1E328BA7D.jpeg

9326B271-1CB3-4A03-890E-4636737969EF.jpeg

Sponsored

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
I updated my speakers with Terra Acoustics for the dash. These are on order at this time. i replaced the knee pods using the Metra JP-1014 Jeep Speaker Pods with JBL Club 622 6.5 inch round speakers. I replaced the sound bar speakers with MB Quart JC1-169SB 6x9 coaxial speakers. I also added Alpine SPR-10TW teeters in the sound bar. I have at this time a set of Kicker 47KSC3504 3.5 inch speakers in the dash, but i have blown a set of these already that is why i went to the Terra acoustics for the front. This combination seems to be the right combination for my gladiator.
i am still not sure if I want to go and add an amp to the system because at this time, I have found at max volume, there is no sound distortion.

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I updated my speakers with Terra Acoustics for the dash. These are on order at this time. i replaced the knee pods using the Metra JP-1014 Jeep Speaker Pods with JBL Club 622 6.5 inch round speakers. I replaced the sound bar speakers with MB Quart JC1-169SB 6x9 coaxial speakers. I also added Alpine SPR-10TW teeters in the sound bar. I have at this time a set of Kicker 47KSC3504 3.5 inch speakers in the dash, but i have blown a set of these already that is why i went to the Terra acoustics for the front. This combination seems to be the right combination for my gladiator.
i am still not sure if I want to go and add an amp to the system because at this time, I have found at max volume, there is no sound distortion.
Good move on the knee pods with JBL. I ended up going with JBL GTO's with the metra pods in the knees and amazing.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
Good move on the knee pods with JBL. I ended up going with JBL GTO's with the metra pods in the knees and amazing.
I thought I liked the OE speakers until this weekend and boy was I wrong. The clarity of the sound is like night and day. I am looking forward to the Terra Acoustics speakers for the front.

OP
OP

FLGladiator

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seadoo
I thought I liked the OE speakers until this weekend and boy was I wrong. The clarity of the sound is like night and day. I am looking forward to the Terra Acoustics speakers for the front.
Just wait until you add a power sub. I was orig happy with just the upper dash and soundbar, when I added the knees and sub it was a gamechanger.

PeterGriffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
(re)tired...!
...bit of a thread revive of late, but I have NO idea why anyone would want to "upgrade" the 4-inch roll bar speakers when there's an adapter(s) readily available to run 6.5 or 6.75-inch speakers...

I had initially tried to upgrade the speakers on my daughter's JL Willy's going that route and it was a complete bust-out. Until Select Increments came out with their adapter, previously available ones required removing the roll-bar and permanent modification/sawing-cutting. These pods bolt right into the speaker grille mounting bolt location and make it too easy. These weren't available until fairly recently from what I've been able to gather which is why I didn't bother with them to begin with...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_66328JLJTE/Select-Increments-JLJT-Pods.html

I ended up running them with a set of Polk DB 652s and the difference in the quality/loudness/volume is not only day and night better than stock, but that of my previous attempt to upgrade with a separate 4 and 3.5-inch speakers in the factory location.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB652/Polk-Audio-DB-652.html

I get it; the pods are expensive, more so than the speakers themselves in this case but the saying goes buy once, cry once. Fortunately I'm able to return the two sets of speakers I previously bought and the price difference between those two sets of speakers and this one set of speakers with the adapter/pods is negligible.

Not so incidentally I'll use the same Polk speakers in the knee panel with a set of Metra adapters; again, NO idea why someone would want to try and replace with the same size when you can run a much larger speaker with just the addition of the adapter.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120JP1014/Metra-JP-1014-Jeep-Speaker-Pods.html

Why Jeep pulled this crap with the JL/JT platform unfortunately isn't the least bit surprising but the aftermarket has seen and met the need...
Sponsored