Sponsored

Anyone with over 100k miles on their 3.6 yet ?

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Ill never understand the irrational disdain for the auto stop start.
I just push the button when I get in. Having said that, the Aux died on the freeway at 19 months. Replaced both batteries.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That guy's grumpy sarcasitic Schtick gets a little old after a few videos watching him. Makes me doubt half of what he is saying
I made it about two minutes.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just use pennzoil platinum 0W-20.
That has worked for me and is certified for use on our engines - for what it's worth.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cam timing and valve lift do change compression. I've done enough cam swapping.........
LSA , LCA, valve lift, cam timing.

This is from a Honda discussion, actual test numbers>>
cam size AND cam timing will effect cranking compression numbers. Just changing the cam timing can effect the cranking compression numbers by over 20%.

Numbers for thinking
D16 with stock cam at zero, 200 psi across the board
same setup with cam at 2 degress retard, 180 psi
4 degrees retard and I got 160-165 psi cranking compression numbers.

This from Motortrend >>
Advancing or retarding a camshaft's timing from its original "zero" position causes the valve events to happen either earlier or later in the engine's cycle. A camshaft that is advanced four degrees will cause each opening and closing event to occur four degrees of rotation sooner than before. This changes the cylinder's ability to build pressure. On the other hand, if the camshaft timing is retarded, the intake valve will close later (usually sometime during the compression stroke).
It should be no surprise that this drops cranking compression

So, retarding the intake cam timing drops cranking compression, by a fair amount.

I've built enough engines to know what happens if you mess up degreeing the cam, or get the wrong cam for your volumetric calculations.

There's a whole page on turbo mopar talking about it - here's another fellow's test results -

I set the cam timing on the S3 cam to achieve max cranking pressure which was 135psi. It ran good set to that point. Pulled hard to 6800 to 7000rpm. Then I tried advancing beyond that point. That resulted in a serious drop in top end power with a small gain in bottom end torque. I have a fairly loose conveter 3500 to 4000 stall, so extreme bottom end torque is not really noticed.
Then I started retarding it 2 deg at a time all the way to 6 deg retard. Ended up at 4 deg retard. Had 125psi cranking pressure.

He went from 135 down to 125.

On a warm or hot engine, it matters.

I stand by my 50 years engine experience. (and am supported by many dozens saying the same thing)
If you want, I'll go dig out my old college engine building books - one guy who worked with Isky in the 60s talks about the impact of cam timing, making no other changes.

I didn't just walk in off the internet - I've a lifetime of study and experience, and have even made mistakes with cams that raised compression enough to cause me trouble.
Hey, I was sponsored by Crower!