Sponsored

Pentastar lasts over 600k miles with no issues?

02sahara

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Construction
What oil did they use: 5w-30, 5w-20, or 0w-20?

Edit: at 600K miles, probably not in the time frame to use 0w-20.
I think mine uses 5-20 but I’d have to go double check.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
The 3.6 in my JK was perfect. I only had 60k (in 7 years) on it before selling, but I was meticulous with the maintenance. I’m very happy with the engine overall, it’s why I didn’t hesitate snapping up a gladiator.

My wife’s 3.8 is burning oil and it’s a nightmare trying to research a cause- apparently everything is suspect. We’ll be moving in the next couple years, and I’ve convinced her to sell it before that time. Thank god.
Don't worry too much about that oil burner. It is normal for that engine. Mine sometimes really gulps it down. Up to 3/4 quart per 1k miles. And the weird thing is that sometimes it doesn't. I've got 154k miles on it and other than that, it runs like new and has never caused me any issues. I put a new water pump on it at about 140k or so and a new radiator more recently. I've also been meticulous on maintenance. Anyway, my brother had one in a minivan that went over 200k and ran perfectly when he sold it, but it burned oil the whole time.

I've got a lifetime powertrain warranty on that old JK, so if it ever gets to 1 quart per 1k, they'll put a new one in it. But it never quite gets there.

As to the cause, you are right. Nobody really seems to know. My friend, an FCA engineer, hasn't been able to get a firm answer on it, either. Funny, though, I think Jasper and one or two other re-builders claim they have a fix in their rebuilds, but I'm skeptical.

I think it is in the PVC system, but I can't be sure. Some think it is when piston ring gps line up, oil gets into the combustion chamber. I'm skeptical of that, too.

I just know it runs great and always has.

But I'll take a Pentastar any day over it.

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing extraordinary, to be frank. Following the service schedule. Keeping the engine bay clean, extra fluid and filter checks after fording water, and most important for me, 5 tire rotations. I do periodic sea foam treatments to the oil, gas, and manifold as well. I’m a carpenter, not a mechanic, so all the simple stuff that can be taken care of with a basic set of tools is well worth the time invested imo. I’m probably forgetting things, and probably not doing as much as I could. But that’s why I frequent forums like this- It taught me everything I know about working on vehicles
I use Seafoam as well. No problems at all.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think mine uses 5-20 but I’d have to go double check.
The one I've seen at 643k miles was running 5w20. Mostly Mobil 1 but sometimes Valvoline Advanced Syn. Engine was clean as could be when torn down. Very little wear. The timing chain guides broke and the chain was stretched. It could have been re-built but he found a used Pentastar with under 100k for 800 bucks.

0w20 oils are better formulas than 5w20's. They are all full synthetics and tend to use higher performing base oils.

I've seen many, many engines on 5w20 get to 300k miles and keep on going. 0w20 will do at least as well, and probably better.

Take a look at the stats on Mobil 1 EP 0w20. It pours at around 65 below zero and its flash point is around 455 degrees. Most 5w30's can't touch it on either end. That's the PAO/Group IV base oil in it. Group III or Gas To Liquid (GTL) synthetic base oils can't get those numbers. (But they are still outstanding oils)

I'd recommend 5k changes, but the guy with over 600k did 7k miles. These 0w20's should handle that easily. And the latest SP rated oils will protect the timing chains a littel better, theoretically. SN+ is fine, though, as our engines are not DI or turbocharged.

I think all the major brand 0w20's are good. Even Walmart Supertech and Amazon Basics, which are made by Warren Distribution. They are surprisingly good oils.

My favorite is Mobil 1 EP. That's followed closely by Mobil 1 AFE, Mobil 1 Truck/Suv, and then Pennzoil Platinum and Shell Rotella Gas Truck. I also like Red Line and Amsoil Signature but won't buy them because they are just too expensive and I don't think either are any better than Mobil 1 EP. These are just my opinions. I've run mostly Mobil 1 products in 35 years and have never worn out an engine. And I've done many used oil analyses.

But pick your favorite and run with it. The Pentastar is very easy on oil, and these oils are designed for direct injected and turbocharged engines which are HARD on oil. I do 5k intervals now, but going to zero on your oil life monitor is just fine.

FInally, I'll leave you with this. The Pentastar, according to my friend who was on the design team for the original, is one of the most reliable and long lasting mass production engines on the market today. It has been on Ward's 10 best list around 6 times in various forms. Few engines have achieved that. Its warranty repair costs are the envy of the industry. These are the reasons FCA has not gone to DI or turbocharging it, even though it was designed to handle both. It will hands down outlast any similar sized V6 with DI.

And my friend said to run it hard. It lasts longer when you do. Why? Because the valve stems get starved of oil if you drive it like a grandma. It'll still last 200k, but if you want to go further, nail it from time to tome. When you do, fresh oil will splash up into the valve stems and keep them nice and lubricated. It loves to rev, anyway, so have at it! It is really a fun engine when you discover the powerband. It has a very noticeable kick in the pants at 4500 and then pulls hard all the way to 6500. I can't keep my foot out of it with the manual transmission. It is just too much fun!

Since FCA became Stellantis, Mobil 1 now once again meets MS6395. The only reason it didn't for awhile had to do with politics from F1 and Ferrarri. It was complicated, but Pugeot group loves Mobil 1, so it has come full circle. So no warranty issues running Mobil 1. There probably never were, anyway.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I forgot to mention this. I asked my friend at Stellantis if they would give someone a new vehicle for hitting 500k miles on their Pentastar. He said "No way. Too many have gotten there." He said they have seen several hit 1,000,000 miles. WOW!

they have made nearly 12,000,000 Pentastars at this point, and may have surpassed that number by now. That right there says volumes about this great engine.

area5179

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I'll be taking advantage of the free oil changes from the Jeep Wave program but after that I'll do it myself with Royal Purple XPR 0w20 and K&N Gold filter. I'll change my oil out when the oil life gauge hits 0 which is about once a year for me. I only put about 5k miles a year on my vehicles.
Sponsored