Who else is happy with the Pentastar?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The traihawk actually has a curb weight greater than my JT! By over 200 pounds!
The base has 200 pounds more payload, crazy, and 200 pounds more towing.

With a WDH, I bet it wouldn't be as bouncy.
Maybe just the lighter wheels and tires? Also, aerodynamics at highway speeds might play into it. Might be perception too though. C&D has the trailhawk at 7.7 to 60 and the overland at 7.3. So your truck should be faster, at least to 60 from a dig.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe just the lighter wheels and tires? Also, aerodynamics at highway speeds might play into it. Might be perception too though. C&D has the trailhawk at 7.7 to 60 and the overland at 7.3. So your truck should be faster, at least to 60 from a dig.
I'm not talking perception, I found myself doing some serious speed with little effort.
My truck(s) would have asked "are you sure?" before taking off.
Not that thing.
The biggest difference was doing 55-60 and then hitting it.
The GC responded by taking off - the JT takes its time.
0-60 could be close (the GC winning, I'd bet) but it's the zip you get when already moving.
That's the biggest area the JT suffers - you are already moving and need to nail it for some reason, it doesn't just jump and take off.
I judge vehicles not just by 0-60, but in a bigger way, by what they do if you are already going, say 40 or so, then smack it. The JTs are pooches if you are rolling and need to punch it.

CJXJJT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
51 CJ3A, 71 CJ5, 72 CJ6, 93 XJ, 21 JT
Occupation
Machinist
I have to say, for everyone complaining about how sluggish it is, I have the 6MT and I added an iDRIVE throttle controller. I never feel sluggish anymore. Itā€™s got plenty of pep now. The pedal is controlled electronically and itā€™s sending a weak signal to CPU when youā€™re pressing it. However, if you buy a throttle controller (mine was less than $200 and super easy to install) then you control that output.
Same for me, added the Awe trail exhaust and you can actually hear it too!

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
I have to wonder how many of these 3.6 engines are even broken in yet. When I read of people who say it has no torque, did they break it in? It's easier with the 6MT, just give it full throttle at a medium speed and RPM for a moment every now and then, maybe 2000RPM up to 3000RPM then ease it off. With the automatic, it's harder to apply full throttle without having the transmission downshift a bunch and suddenly it's at 5000+ RPM.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
Iā€™m not happy with mine. Mines a ticking monster.

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
Have you tried putting the shifter into manual, force select a lower gear and then punch it?

I'm not talking perception, I found myself doing some serious speed with little effort.
My truck(s) would have asked "are you sure?" before taking off.
Not that thing.
The biggest difference was doing 55-60 and then hitting it.
The GC responded by taking off - the JT takes its time.
0-60 could be close (the GC winning, I'd bet) but it's the zip you get when already moving.
That's the biggest area the JT suffers - you are already moving and need to nail it for some reason, it doesn't just jump and take off.
I judge vehicles not just by 0-60, but in a bigger way, by what they do if you are already going, say 40 or so, then smack it. The JTs are pooches if you are rolling and need to punch it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried putting the shifter into manual, force select a lower gear and then punch it?
So you are suggesting that the 8RE in the GC is a superior version to that in the JT?

You romp the GC and it's there before you can say go. The JT asks - are you sure?
If someone wants around you in the JT, they will get past you.
It was such a night and day difference.
By the time I switch to manual and downshift, the GC would be yards out front.
It's more of a response and lack of zip - like the gearing was different - but it's not, not from the factory anyway, or the tune was different and the GC had more low end.
Like I said - if you were on the road moving and didn't even punch it, but gave it the same throttle I give my JTs, the GC would respond, the JTs would think about it.
The Trailhawk had 38,000 miles on it so obviously was a highway vehicle. It takes a lot to put that many miles on one in a year or year and a half. And the body was excellent, the interior nice, so it wasn't used hard on the trails.
I put 27,000 miles on my first JT in 30 months so it didn't sit and was pretty well broken in, especially with me driving. I had it to over 90.
And I've driven my wife's Grand Cherokees off and on over the years. So, I assumed the loaner would respond exactly the same as my wife's GCs have over the years, or my JTs would.
I figured - heck, this is easy, no getting used to something different, it's exactly like every Jeep we've had in the last decade. I figured I could drive without even thinking about it. And I kept finding myself having to slow it down or not give it so much throttle when taking off.
All car sites say it was just exactly like my wife's Jeeps have been, no differences other than the air ride, and the lean toward off-roading because it was trail rated, the red tow hooks and all to look the part.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I love the 3.6, but I do not love the throttle response.

I have a Banks on order, going to try this out. I just don't like the lag, particularly from a rolling stop at a stop-sign, yield-sign, or red light. Or when off road, slowing way down for a switchback, and then punching in to whip around the bend. Too much lag.

I expect the Banks will resolve this. I have a Golf that comes from the factory with a "sport" mode, activated from the transmission shifter. If you think throttle controllers are BS, I mean I guess you're right (nothing changes in the engine or transmission), but boy do they activate the power easier.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
So you are suggesting that the 8RE in the GC is a superior version to that in the JT?

You romp the GC and it's there before you can say go. The JT asks - are you sure?
If someone wants around you in the JT, they will get past you.
It was such a night and day difference.
By the time I switch to manual and downshift, the GC would be yards out front.
It's more of a response and lack of zip - like the gearing was different - but it's not, not from the factory anyway, or the tune was different and the GC had more low end.
Like I said - if you were on the road moving and didn't even punch it, but gave it the same throttle I give my JTs, the GC would respond, the JTs would think about it.
The Trailhawk had 38,000 miles on it so obviously was a highway vehicle. It takes a lot to put that many miles on one in a year or year and a half. And the body was excellent, the interior nice, so it wasn't used hard on the trails.
I put 27,000 miles on my first JT in 30 months so it didn't sit and was pretty well broken in, especially with me driving. I had it to over 90.
And I've driven my wife's Grand Cherokees off and on over the years. So, I assumed the loaner would respond exactly the same as my wife's GCs have over the years, or my JTs would.
I figured - heck, this is easy, no getting used to something different, it's exactly like every Jeep we've had in the last decade. I figured I could drive without even thinking about it. And I kept finding myself having to slow it down or not give it so much throttle when taking off.
All car sites say it was just exactly like my wife's Jeeps have been, no differences other than the air ride, and the lean toward off-roading because it was trail rated, the red tow hooks and all to look the part.
I had a 2015 3.6L 2 door JK and often complained it didnt have much power and poor throttle response. It was a 6 speed.

The 2020 max tow I had had 4.10 gears and felt much peppier with the 8 speed but....the throttle response was significantly worse like a delay was programmed in. Clearly the 3.6L is getting different tuning each generation for the worse.

My 2022 ecodiesel had a 2 second delay damn near when you stomped on it. The banks tuner and pedal monster cured that. All the pedal monster does is accelerate your input. So what was once 10% is more like 40%. It does help by reducing that little bit of delay from your foot pushing through from 10% to 40-50%. Your now at 40%-70% etc. It does make a difference but the fix is to just fix the stupid tuning.

Its like a trend for vehicles to be as soft and boring as possible because the magazines and 5 soccer mom's a year complain.

Sponsored

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
So, you are asking what snow is? LOL
And you define cold as anything under 50?

I was wondering why so often Holy Moly staff and crew were wearing COATS - I mean, isn't that filmed in California? So I looked it up. I was not the only person with that question as the Google results filled more than a page and a lot of people were asking what's up with CA people wearing COATS in a non-winter season.
Apparently where that is taped, it gets really nasty cold and wet at times. CA is pretty diverse in climate and weather.

Back in about 2010 or so, I went to a friend's place in a suburb of Phoenix. It was either late January or early February. Back home here in Iowa my wife was texting me that it was 0 degrees with bad snow.
We were wearing shorts and t-shirts where I was. We're standing around in his driveway sharing a few drinks and his friends and neighbors started coming over and soon there was a group of 10 or so there. As the sun went down people started disappearing - and coming back with long pants and jackets on. This went on until I was the only one there with no jacket........... and doing fine. Finally one of them commented - look at the Iowa boy - he's loving this while we shiver.
Really? 55-60 and you guys are COLD? It was beautiful evening weather.
We drove down to Rome one spring when I was stationed in Stuttgart. Weather in Germany had finally gotten up to the mid 50's and volks were out in skirts and t-shirts to get that sunshine. In Rome it was in the 60's and the Romans all had their big puffy Moncler jackets on. Totally different perspective on temperature.

As for the 3.6, at the dealer I popped the hood was impressed by how 'clean' the engine bay is. My 22' came without the engine cover which I thought was pretty cool being able to see the manifold instead of the corporate underwear. The ground bus and top mounted filter and alternator are thoughtful engineering. My forester had a top mount filter and after I put on a fumoto valve oil changes were a 15 minute job. I suspect the galdiator wil be even easier since I can crawl under the front and easily access the oil pan without breaking my wrist. There is enough room underneath to ride out a rain storm.

It's not an impressive engine but it is well suited for the purpose. I haven't owned an automatic in 15 years so the refinement of the eight speed kind of blew me away. 1800 RPM on the highway is wild.

A nice bonus of having such a ubiquitous engine and transmission pair is that parts and take offs should be plentiful for the next decade even if the ICE goes extinct. I'd bet there is a mechanic in every town of this country that is familiar with both and can get you fixed in a pinch.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I have found my truck to be plenty acceptable in the first 2,075 miles.

It's a Max Tow - 4.10 gears on stock Rubi tires (285/70R17).

If I am ripping out of a red light or have to turn left onto a major highway and gotta go RIGHT NOW, I think it responds fine. Is it like my SS Camaro? Of course not - but it'll break the inside tire loose and make haste. Now, if I'm cruising at 55MPH and start harping on the throttle to pass, yea it's gotta juggle through several gears to decide which one you want - but if I don't be a ninny about it and just flatten it on the floor, it finds the bottom most gear it can take and goes with it, and fairly quickly.

That being said, I would not want one of these trucks with anything less than 4.10 gears and am very happy I ordered it as such.

Keep in mind - most of my driving is city, basically. It's a 5 mile commute to work, all of it in speed limits between 25 and 55 MPH, with one red light. On the weekends I'm still often on back highways running 65 and under.

Barnabyā€™sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Iā€™m six months in with mine. Iā€™m fine with it. I still wouldnā€™t do the diesel if I had it to do over again, but If a Hemi was an optionā€¦I obviously would have gone that route, lol.

To meā€¦the diesel was an afterthought, as far as how much thought they seemed to put into it for this application.

To meā€¦the 3.6ā€¦is a serviceable, but unremarkable power plant. Why they didnā€™t just toss a 5.7L Hemi in it though is beyond me. I guess then Jeep peeps wouldnā€™t have something to complain about, lol.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Happy with mine so far plenty of power for what I need. Just wish they would find a fix for the misfire issue I keep reading about

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Happy with mine other than the lazy torque management tuning, and the improper diff ratio selection from the factory (although that's not the engine's fault). That will be fixed soon enough though.
Sponsored