Sponsored

Apple CarPlay issue fixed with most recent iOS 15.2.1?

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Welcome to the limitations of Bluetooth.
I use a wireless CarPlay adapter, which uses WiFi from the phone to the adapter, and it sounds as good as being plugged in directly.

Kevin
Not trying to sharpshoot here, but which one are you using? All of the adapters on Amazon are BT from the adapter to the phone, not wifi. Is there one we don’t know of? The BT models are spotty and unreliable.
Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Not trying to sharpshoot here, but which one are you using? All of the adapters on Amazon are BT from the adapter to the phone, not wifi. Is there one we don’t know of? The BT models are spotty and unreliable.
The version 3 Carlinkit establishes a connection with BT, then switches to WiFi for operation (or so say the instructions, I haven’t checked it that closely.)

Kevin

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
The version 3 Carlinkit establishes a connection with BT, then switches to WiFi for operation (or so say the instructions, I haven’t checked it that closely.)

Kevin
I bought that exact model. I never saw a wifi connection on my phone when it was plugged in and I was connected. Tried two of them. No joy. If anyone wants more info on my observations they can be found in the search on CarPlay and my username.

10FEC209-02A7-443C-A15F-5156148D9C0E.jpeg

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I bought that exact model. I never saw a wifi connection on my phone when it was plugged in and I was connected. Tried two of them. No joy. If anyone wants more info on my observations they can be found in the search on CarPlay and my username.
Mine works as advertised: initial connection with Bluetooth, then switches to WiFi…
Jeep Gladiator Apple CarPlay issue fixed with most recent iOS 15.2.1? 1642739542728

Kevin

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
I’ve found the exact opposite. Try playing something through the Bluetooth connection for a bit. Then plug the usb cable in. I was amazed at the a difference. Sounds so much better when plugged in.
as soon as you plug carplay in, volume 20 is not as loud as volume 20 on bluetooth.

i agree that quality is probably better (sharper and crisper) plugged in, but volume for volume it is not there.

carplay feels quieter in the cab. the highs are not as distinct and my subs dont hit as hard without adjusting settings.

Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
as soon as you plug carplay in, volume 20 is not as loud as volume 20 on bluetooth.

i agree that quality is probably better (sharper and crisper) plugged in, but volume for volume it is not there.

carplay feels quieter in the cab. the highs are not as distinct and my subs dont hit as hard without adjusting settings.
I might be wrong but Bluetooth volume is controlled two ways. Phone volume and stereo volume. This would make the scenario different for everyone.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
I might be wrong but Bluetooth volume is controlled two ways. Phone volume and stereo volume. This would make the scenario different for everyone.
I wish the solution was that simple. lol

you are right, volume on the phone can control bluetooth and carplay volume. Mine is always turned all the way up.

Ive found some threads that say 'thats just carplay, you get used to it.' I dont really like that answer, I assume its compression but im not the audiophile i was years ago so idk.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
I wish the solution was that simple. lol

you are right, volume on the phone can control bluetooth and carplay volume. Mine is always turned all the way up.

Ive found some threads that say 'thats just carplay, you get used to it.' I dont really like that answer, I assume its compression but im not the audiophile i was years ago so idk.
I was only really commenting on the posts about volume between BT & wired.

For quality, I'd guess it's the BT hardware used in the receivers. My Bose QC35s have great BT quality but I don't pair my phones with BT in my vehicles because it's never sounded that great. Easier to wire, use CarPlay, and get high quality audio.

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Might help if we compare radio versions also.
Went in a few weeks ago and was upgrades from 22.6 to 39.6 per TSB 08-113-21 I

I upgraded phone and will try it over the next few days. 12 Pro

You can get your radio version by holding the UP and DOWN temp button and the FRONT DEFROST buttons at the same time for about 7secs. Then there is a row called "Software Version" and in the middle will show version. If needed I can get some example photos.
I had a few more menus to poke through before I found the software version. If I found the right thing, my version is only 21.14.14. You are on 39.6!? UConnect site says my software is up to date but that doesn't seem accurate. I can't download an update from the site because it thinks I'm up to date. Do I need to head to a dealer?

Undecided

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport S w/ Max Tow!
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I had a few more menus to poke through before I found the software version. If I found the right thing, my version is only 21.14.14. You are on 39.6!? UConnect site says my software is up to date but that doesn't seem accurate. I can't download an update from the site because it thinks I'm up to date. Do I need to head to a dealer?
Sorry - I did miss a menu and misspoke for software vs application version. That's what I get for trying to go off memory....

The version location is not where many would guess. Go into "Dealer Mode" with the button presses > System Information > Radio Part > Application version > #######. The center number of that is your version. I've attached a photo with it circled.

Yes - you will need a dealer to get this update. Should be free if you're in warranty. I called in mentioning freezing in CarPlay and my dealer knew it was a reported problem and scheduled me for an update. 39.6 was the latest.

My assumption is that the online Uconnect tool is the "Software Version". The dealer updates the "Application version".

I only saw freezing when trying to use Siri and only occasionally. Enough to be a pain but not unusable. So far it's yet to freeze again but I hardly use it so I will not admit it's fully fixed yet.

Jeep Gladiator Apple CarPlay issue fixed with most recent iOS 15.2.1? Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 1.15.23 PM

Last edited:

Sponsored

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
@Undecided - this makes more sense. I’m on 39.6 but still having issues on 15.2.1

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Sting Gray Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Ok maybe found my issue…. I went out and had zero disconnects on my 15 minute drive. Did some shopping and on the drive home, disconnected after a minute. At the next stop light I unplugged, flipped the connector over, and zero disconnects the rest of the drive. I’m going to swap my cable for the absurdly priced Apple cable and see if it works better.

Daddiator54

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Freedom
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I downloaded the update but haven’t had to drive anywhere to test the update. I was experiencing the issue with the front usb-c port, oem apple lighting cable, iphone 11 pro on ios 15.2. I saw that little tidbit in the change logs and updated immediately. So we’ll see soon if that fixes my issues.

My issues were that it sometimes wouldnt recognize the cable was plugged into the phone, gave me a message about how the cable was not supported, or it would recognize the phone plugged in but wouldnt respond in any of the car play apps so i’d have to initiate stuff from my phone to get it to work. No damage to the cable or phone.
So far, it seems that the iOS update did fix all my car play issues. It has instantly connected and let me control from the jeep every time.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link