OP
OP
BobcatBruno

BobcatBruno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I’m behind on iPhone updates (14.4...) and my CarPlay just shit the bed on a road trip today. It was working perfectly fine all weekend, then I stopped for gas. Once I started the truck back up, the carplay was a no go. Did a factory settings reset, nothing. Turned the truck off and on, nothing.

Anyone have any ideas what caused it or how to fix it?
Are you using the center console plug or the one in the dash (media plug)?

I ultimately had to start using the one in the dash as the center console plug wouldn’t work consistently.
Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Are you using the center console plug or the one in the dash (media plug)?

I ultimately had to start using the one in the dash as the center console plug wouldn’t work consistently.
I’ve been using the dash plug-in the whole time of ownership. I just went out and tried it again though. Both plugs work now for whatever reason lol. The truck has been sitting for a few hours since getting home so maybe it fixed itself.

But now thinking about what you commented, I remember my Ram 1500 having the same issue. I would have to alternate usb plug-ins every once in awhile to get carplay up. Just a bug I guess.

OP
OP
BobcatBruno

BobcatBruno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been using the dash plug-in the whole time of ownership. I just went out and tried it again though. Both plugs work now for whatever reason lol. The truck has been sitting for a few hours since getting home so maybe it fixed itself.

But now thinking about what you commented, I remember my Ram 1500 having the same issue. I would have to alternate usb plug-ins every once in awhile to get carplay up. Just a bug I guess.
I’ve been using the USB C plug and haven’t had any issues with it yet.

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Reviving an old thread as this seems most applicable to my case.

'21 JTRD, 8.4" premium audio.
Just short of 4 months into it and just over 5,000 miles
Running IOS 14.6, but couldn't say when that update happened because it does it automatically

Yesterday it decided to stop recognizing my iPhone XR altogether. It gave a message saying something about bluetooth not being available when the device is connected to the USB port. I wasn't paying close attention to the message because I didn't realize what was happening at the time.

I've always used the same USB-C to Lightning port, and always worked seamlessly. I could switch from CarPlay to Bluetooth and back on the fly with no issues.

Last week or so, for about 1/2 a day, my rearview camera quit working and just left me a blank screen when on. It was pretty hot that day, and the tailgate was sitting in direct sunlight, so I thought maybe it was heat related. Now I'm wondering if it's something with the head unit.

Currently, I can use bluetooth. But if I enable projection it will NOT play my phone if plugged into the port. It will switch sources and won't let me go back. I really want CarPlay back.

OP
OP
BobcatBruno

BobcatBruno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reviving an old thread as this seems most applicable to my case.

'21 JTRD, 8.4" premium audio.
Just short of 4 months into it and just over 5,000 miles
Running IOS 14.6, but couldn't say when that update happened because it does it automatically

Yesterday it decided to stop recognizing my iPhone XR altogether. It gave a message saying something about bluetooth not being available when the device is connected to the USB port. I wasn't paying close attention to the message because I didn't realize what was happening at the time.

I've always used the same USB-C to Lightning port, and always worked seamlessly. I could switch from CarPlay to Bluetooth and back on the fly with no issues.

Last week or so, for about 1/2 a day, my rearview camera quit working and just left me a blank screen when on. It was pretty hot that day, and the tailgate was sitting in direct sunlight, so I thought maybe it was heat related. Now I'm wondering if it's something with the head unit.

Currently, I can use bluetooth. But if I enable projection it will NOT play my phone if plugged into the port. It will switch sources and won't let me go back. I really want CarPlay back.
Do you have another phone you can test it with? If neither phone works you can start to narrow it down to an issue with the head unit.

Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Do you have another phone you can test it with? If neither phone works you can start to narrow it down to an issue with the head unit.
Coincidentally we drove my truck to dinner tonight and I had my wife plug hers in. It worked fine. So I shut my phone down and powered it back up. Works fine now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
BobcatBruno

BobcatBruno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coincidentally we drove my truck to dinner tonight and I had my wife plug hers in. It worked fine. So I shut my phone down and powered it back up. Works fine now. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Nice! At least it wasn’t a problem with the truck!

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Yeah. I forget that turning off the iPhone is the equivalent of “unplug it and plug it back in” when troubleshooting. 🤣
Sponsored