Sponsored

Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?!

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Well, i have to laugh a little. I bought my JT in October of 2019 (2020 model) and it was the most basic sport you could get. Manual locks, windows, 5in radio, bla bla bla. With the few options I selected my MSRP was about $36k. I tried to build the same exact thing and it was $44k, damn! I did not realize how expensive these things got. I had leased my truck mainly because I was getting ready to buy a second property and needed a good debt to income ratio. So my lease payments for 36 months were $250. I just bought it out of the lease for $29k (including taxes). So damn, i feel for anyone trying to get a new model right now, THEN upgrade axles!

FWIW, I run 37's on my Sport (nonS S) Dana 44's (regeared to 4.56), and I jump it a lot in the desert and have had no issues. I have over 66,000+ miles on it too (plust lots of other upgrades like Supercharger)
Sponsored

Tbanks

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Love my Dana 44, 40s, RCV axles, Reid Knuckles, Teraflex calibers, Dynatrac balljoints.

Jeep's will break but its all about the good times.

Jeep Gladiator Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?! 40sfront

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's all about choices and priorities. I prefer being in jobs I enjoy even if I could be in a different job making more. I scrimped and saved and set aside while working - struggled at times, had to borrow at times, but I learned from my parents.
Part of where I am at is pure luck, part was choice. I keep playing "what-if" in my head - what if I had told the manager at Bud Mulcahy's Jeep yes, I'll take the service manager job. What if I'd not gone into farming in the 80s - the worst possible decade to be there, what if............... but each place I was at was a rung in the ladder.
With my affliction I was damned lucky to keep any job - but it was skill and education that got me around that, making myself invaluable, solving problems.
Been poor - accepting government aid to eat and have heat, but still at least had a house and the ability and determination to make things work.
Choices. What's your priority?
Sometimes you have to plan for things in an eventual future and forget it for the right now. What's important? Instant gratification or planning for bigger and better later?
I still could never afford half of what others are "doing to" their Jeeps. No way! Even if I totally gave up some other things (there ain't that much to give up, frankly, 1,000 sq/ft house, rarely eat out, never go to movies, no cable, no broadband, no streaming services (which won't work out here anyway). But I'm not really bothered by it as what purpose would it serve me?
My priorities are towing, hauling, and a daily driver.
Choices. What's your priority?

I'm measuring success in other ways, I guess.
Sons who have exceeded my wildest expectations, grandson in advanced, genius classes in school in Florida, 2 grand daughters doing well in China (although circumstances dictate I'll never see my youngest son again, just get some photos now and then through back-channels)

This is success - and where I'm putting some of my money. After receiving these in the mail this week, I guess I AM super rich!

Jeep Gladiator Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?! 1671817033626

OP
OP
Reignkinge

Reignkinge

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys sport
Occupation
Teacher
Well, i have to laugh a little. I bought my JT in October of 2019 (2020 model) and it was the most basic sport you could get. Manual locks, windows, 5in radio, bla bla bla. With the few options I selected my MSRP was about $36k. I tried to build the same exact thing and it was $44k, damn! I did not realize how expensive these things got. I had leased my truck mainly because I was getting ready to buy a second property and needed a good debt to income ratio. So my lease payments for 36 months were $250. I just bought it out of the lease for $29k (including taxes). So damn, i feel for anyone trying to get a new model right now, THEN upgrade axles!

FWIW, I run 37's on my Sport (nonS S) Dana 44's (regeared to 4.56), and I jump it a lot in the desert and have had no issues. I have over 66,000+ miles on it too (plust lots of other upgrades like Supercharger)
This is good to know! I think I’ve decided the 44s are going to be fine. I’ll prob end up on 37’s and just beef up the front end a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reignkinge

Reignkinge

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys sport
Occupation
Teacher
i appreciate the honesty and the candor!
In general, I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment.

this will likely be my last real toy car as I’ll prob have a kid in the next couple of years, but even now when I have a little spending money I can’t imagine spending 20k on axles for a jeep (which had a else that worked!)