Sponsored

Are you all super rich or is there a method I don’t get?!

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
Commer
[QUOTE="Tommyd, post: 1064677, member: 4648

Commercial cleaning, Doctors Offices and medical facilities mainly. It's been pretty good to me with little effort on my part to promote it. Got 18 people working for me and able to pay them pretty well.
That’s awesome I’m either going to start my own up or a pressure washing service. Been thinking for a while now hard.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
That’s awesome I’m either going to start my own up or a pressure washing service. Been thinking for a while now hard.
Just gotta do it. I worked for a guy part time cleaning for about 6yrs before I decided it was time to do my own thing. Every bldg I have came from word of mouth, zero advertising. Maybe I got lucky but we do pretty good job. 12yrs and am yet to lose a bldg contract

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
House washing, pressure washing, etc. businesses have popped up like popcorn around here in the last couple of years.
I don't know how they are doing, can't say, have my own pressure washer and still luckily am able to do most of my own (and have a guy I hire for things I can't) but there must be a demand, or at least there was, around here.

A friend who I used to work with when I worked with Dominic always had REALLY nice classy clothes, wasn't free with money but wasn't stingy, either - we asked him one time how he did it on the salary we made back then. He said he and his son did office cleaning after he left where we both worked. He found it to be decent money. Hard work, but good money.

Johnny3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hellcat JTR, 2000 TJ
I read three of the 7 pages (so far) and didn’t see anyone else address this, excuse me if its redundant

The truth is you don’t NEED to put new axles in your Gladiator to run 40s.

The further question is - do you need 40s?!? Based on your post I’m guessing no. If your truck is leased and/or you don’t spend at least one weekend a month off roading I would highly recommend 37’s which are almost the same look and definitely don’t require $20k of upgrades.

But, hey…. No judgement here. If it’s 40’s or bust, unless you’re driving really aggressively, on wicked terrain the axles will last quite some time. I have a hellcat conversion and 37s, the stock axles are fine at 15,500 miles…. I have a lead foot, but I don’t do brake stands. Full disclosure, my Gladiator is not my off-road vehicle.

This is my third V8 Wrangler/Gladiator - almost 100k miles combined…. All three had/have Dana 44s (35” and 37” tires). I have never had axle issues.

In other words, I think the off-road aftermarket “influencers” are paid (with free parts, as discussed previously in this thread) to try to convince everyone to overbuild/overbuy. You don’t need it unless you plan on aggressive use.

If you do plan on aggressive use I would tell you to buy a Wrangler instead of a Gladiator because the rear bed is a significant disadvantage to your descent angle.

Good luck

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
So I am considering trying to get 40’s under my 22 Willys.
Some light reading and researching tells me that pretty much requires Dana 60 ultimates, fender swap and a lift kit.

lifts are pricey but achievable. Fenders are a bit simpler (if still a lot of money) but how in the world can people afford to buy Dana ult 60’s?

just about everything I found said that thy were about 20000 for a pair.
And that doesn’t even include whatever else you have to do after that.

is there a secret way that people manage this kind of mod other than just have fantastic money?

is it better to find them in a scrap yard or something ?
No; it requires money but a 44 these days can handle a 40 if you’re a good driver.

But IMO, there’s not been a single trail I’ve done in my entire life that’s “needed” 40’s. Maybe some obstacles but I’ve always gotten through without. I know those trails probably exist but honestly just haven’t run into them yet. I’ve wheeled most of the popular trails in UT and AZ, a few in CO. Been going to EJS since ‘09.

Your Willy’s will be best served by seeing what it can’t do and why— and going from there. Besides, you’ll become a better driver anyway as you’ll be forced to pick better lines to get through.

My $0.02.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reignkinge

Reignkinge

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Willys sport
Occupation
Teacher
Thanks so much for all the options. I’ve got this habit of looking at something and thinking of how to make it everything it could be in one go. Just got as big and overbuilt as possible at the get go and never worry about it again.

I think that the 37s is a good idea, and will probably be great for everything I’ll ever ask my JT to do.

Y’all are a great help and I very much appreciate the community!

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Judge much?
Sorry to hear about your father.
But, you are not poor. Why do people think that they are poor when they have 2 cars in the driveway, internet, cell phones, warm clothes, and food on the table? Being poor is not because you can't afford what you want, being poor is when you cannot afford life's necessities.
I have never been poor. Things that I have lived through- patched up hand me down clothes, shoes with holes in them, coats that were too small, carrying books to school with no backpack, sharing lunch at school, wearing warm clothes to bed, riding my bicycle to school for sports, walking to work, wearing my work uniform all day, eating one egg and a slice of bread for lunch, pasta for dinner 5 nights a week, Friday night dinner at Wendy's, shopping at GOODWILL, used furniture, selling personal items to make mortgage payments.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Backpack? Never had one, books were tied together with bailing twine if there were too many to easily handle.
Frost on inside walls of the bedroom....... pants too short so Mom added length to the legs from scraps.
In the 80s my wife and I borrowed money for groceries more than once, we got government assistance to pay for heat, cheese, etc. obtained from WIC , multiple years of 0 income, going around to the area farmers offering to help them out in their busy times for some cash, F-I-L loaned us money now and then.
I've experienced it. Not now, but I know what it's like.

Mom's parents lived in a 2 room house. One was a sort of skinny kitchen - fridge had to be on the entry-way. Bathroom as such was at the end of the kitchen until Grandma closed it off to make it a room after Grandpa died (she did it all herself). They had sort of a shower in the basement, a hanging shower head in the corner. No tub.
After she died, the tiny house was bull-dozed.
Grandpa had been a farm hand, a couple of times a tenant farmer, and they moved a lot. Grandma used to joke she never bothered unpacking most of their stuff because she knew they'd have to move again. That was the only house they actually ever owned.

We're not poor, but have been there, literally. So my wife does everything she can for local charities like the food bank and so on. She's given them thousands of dollars in the past few years (she makes quilting accessories like "thread catchers", has local shops sell them and the money goes to the food bank), and she ran food drives when she worked and rounded up hundreds of pounds of food. Like she says - we know...... and when you know it, you are more likely to care.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Thanks so much for all the options. I’ve got this habit of looking at something and thinking of how to make it everything it could be in one go. Just got as big and overbuilt as possible at the get go and never worry about it again.

I think that the 37s is a good idea, and will probably be great for everything I’ll ever ask my JT to do.

Y’all are a great help and I very much appreciate the community!
What's your experience wheeling? If you're new it doesn't make sense to try to upgrade things you are not familiar with. Easier to throw on 35's and a Mopar lift and try and break something. Once you do that's your first upgrade. Take your time and don't rush things otherwise you don't learn.

As for affording my rig and my upgrades, well i busted my ass for 15+ years, figured out how to clear all debt except mortgage (student loan took 14 years to pay off by the way) and leveraged company equity I received to establish a strong financial cushion before I went bananas on my rig.

Sponsored

ScottBeach

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Engineer
Started poor 30+ years ago. Meaning eating was an issue some days. Worked and saved. Got to a point where my savings earn more than my day job. Still buying the jeep was a mental issue. Saying i can afford to spend money in the bank. Even now i want 60/80s, 6 in lift and 39/40s. But i cant talk myself into the spend. Why? I havent been really stuck offroad yet. When it happens i will but most of us that spend $$$ on these upgrades dont do so on a whim

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
  • Don’t run 40s on stock D44s off road. The FAD! The splines! The control arm mounts! The ball joints! The ring diameter! The bearing support! It’s a ticking time bomb.
  • For A lot of people who don’t run 40s, it’s not a matter of money. It’s a matter of cost/benefit or what their aims are.
  • “Be careful when rock crawling” your 60k truck is an oxymoron.
  • If “be careful” is a solution, just run 37s and “be careful” by picking more conservative lines, wheel within the trucks limits, etc. Somehow Jeep got the stock truck up the Rubicon
  • My truck steers like shit on 37s, so add ram assist to the mix for 40s. I’m going to do the steering pump mod myself.
  • Get a full belly skid for the 37s. This gives you more clearance and buys you some safety if you have to drag the truck off of a high center. Even with 40s, the breakover sucks compared to a Wrangler.
  • I would encourage anyone running 37s to pull the bolts and take a look at their rear LCA D44 axle mounts after 6 months. Same goes for the track bar. We’ll all be replacing axles or welding on new mounts eventually.
  • People buy bay boats and RVs by using lots of credit over long periods of time. Same goes with axle packages I guess. The American middle and upper middle class runs on credit not wealth or disposable income. That’s how people buy all this crap.
  • Upgrade iteratively. Go to 37s. Upgrade steering components and track bars over time. You’ll need to. Get a lift that is upgradeable coupled with fender trimming.
  • Chose semi-float axles so you can run the same bolt pattern as the rims for your 37s. Even Dynatrac says most people don’t need an 8 lug pattern. Upgrade the front axle first anyway to get rid of the FAD. Just figure out what to do about gearing. Another reason to own the diesel is more flexibility in this area. People don’t want to hear this but 37s are pushing it on the oem axles. Upgrading the front axle is a good idea anyway.
  • While you wear out your 37s amass the other parts you will need over time.
  • Buy the sales and use 6-12 months same as cash or Affirm, Klarna, etc. as others have said, just beware of getting yourself in a payment trap
  • Consider a rat rod trailer rig or used buggy instead and tow it with the gladiator.
  • If you want a brand new truck with 40s right out the door or within 6 months without seriously compromising the truck, just be rich or finance the shit out of it and be truck poor.
  • If you want to make more money, don’t “learn to code.” That ship has sailed. Learn cloud-native infrastructure and DevOps/automation/AI and to code. Go into consulting/corporate training.

Spaniard

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT rubi
I'm so glad I don't have the bug to go big. My 22 rubi is all I need, "might" get some 35s later on, but I enjoy it in it's raw form. Gas, towing, wheeling as little as I do and 7hr trips with the family with the top off is all I'm about these days.

If you want to take the $60,000 truck wheeling or at least look like it will do some serious off roading then you have more money than I am willing to spend.

When I went wheeling I absolutely destroyed my CJ7, Cherokee's and mud bogging C10 on 44s. Those were all toys that were dispensable and not my everyday. So if pimp'n is what you want, just know, pimp'n ain't easy...

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
  • I would encourage anyone running 37s to pull the bolts and take a look at their rear LCA D44 axle mounts after 6 months. Same goes for the track bar. We’ll all be replacing axles or welding on new mounts eventually....
Are you implying the bolt holes will be wallowed out? If so, the cause of that is not big tires. The cause is loose bolts that were not addressed in a timely manner.

JTButcher

First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator ecodiesel Sport S 2022
Occupation
Real Estate
just have a few babies, then sell them for organs in the black market and presto! you can but at least the diffs within 40 weeks :P:P:P
Sponsored