First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self
Hey all, I am new to the forum- and about to pull the trigger on a gladiator purchase. I’ve negotiated a good deal on a bare-bones manual transmission sting gray Sport. No options at all except for the tow package (not Max tow since it’s manual transmission). The only other vehicle currently in stock that I like and believe I can negotiate a good deal on is a Mojave with no options, also manual. Almost $10k more. I really enjoy driving a stick shift and I’m limiting my search to those.

i’ve got a wife, two kids and a dog. Plan to use this as a family adventure vehicle for camping, mountain biking, trail use. I would enjoy doing some moderate iff roading but doubt it will get too extreme.

I am leaning strongly toward the sport. Advice? Is getting a stripped down vehicle going to hurt me in the long run on resale - especially as I add modifications?

If I do get the sport model, the first thing I will definitely do it’s either put bigger tires on the steelies or find a set of Rubicon take off wheels and tires.

I am going to make this decision soon so thanks in advance. Looking forward to being part of the community!
Sponsored

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I came to this truck because of manual, but while looking they had not 1 but 2 recalls on the clutch. Decided on base auto sport w/ Max Tow. I pulled my doors this summer so autolocks and power windows wouldn't have done any good, plus I disconnected the door connectors and won't ever reconnect them(only penalty is light inside won't come on when opening doors) as to not run into known issue with sorry ass pins bending. Also Sport S wheels don't appeal to me, but base steel wheels did so mounted 35's. Resale usually tracks same percentage of purchase price so not worried.

Edit: I do miss a manual. I sat in one early on in looking and pushed in clutch and near 'bout pushed it through firewall. Very light and I suspect that's the problem. One thing the Max Tow gets is 4:10 gears( not to mention limited slip) so fitting 35's doesn't suck.

Rares

First Name
Rares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I got a base Sport with no options and added what I wanted. Love the manual windows. Only wished I bought the Max Tow. Last year they reduced the base Sport to $30,000 when nobody was shopping. Prices might be different today.

20210821_191531.jpg

badger719

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
The base Sport has:

(A) no power windows or locks
(B) different gauge cluser with analog gauges for the temperature and fuel tank level functions. The Sport S and up get a fully digital one.
(C) steel wheels instead of aluminum. I personally like the black steelies and would leave them on the truck versus those ghastly aluminum ones on the Sport S.
(D) $500 upcharge for tinted windows on the hard top

You will most likely have to order one. Base Sports are pretty hard to come by on dealer lots, Jeep most likely doesn't make much on those so they don't have much of an inventive to stock them on lots. I ordered mine on 7/27 and am currently waiting for it to be built.

I went with Sting Gray, hard top, automatic, base tow package, spray in bedliner and window tint ($500 upcharge on the base Sport).

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you can ever go wrong on a base truck with a set of take off Rubicon or Mojave wheels.

If you decide you can't live with some of the convenience options in 2 years, you sell it for 80% of what you paid for it. This assumes you have the finances to clear the title (home equity line of credit if you do't have the cash) and the willingness to sell it yourself.

You won't do as well on a trade, no matter how much the dealer lies to you.

Sponsored

Jeep-A-Kneez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel, 1995 YJ 4.0
Welcome,

While the Mojave will have those bigger tires, upgraded suspension, cool looking engine hood, interior upgrades, etc., could be the route to go if you're ready to the extra cost now.

On the other hand, the Sport is a blank canvas waiting for you to put on whatever upgrades you decide and when you decide but then you'll have parts left over that nobody is going to want.

If you are set on picking between these two, I'd get the Mojave.

KSL_2285

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I got my base sport recently and got a great deal on it. I have yet to miss power windows and locks. I think percentage wise resale should be the same. I live in Florida and there is nothing off-road here that this won’t be just fine in. This was my first Jeep my plan was to get it make modest upgrades. Pay it off and maybe trade it in later while the value is still up and then decide if getting a fully loaded one makes sense. But I can tell you there is something cool about this base vehicle the I never lock the doors anyway and the crank windows are kinda cool my kids thought they were the coolest thing HAHA!! Also I think the Steeleies with some new tires look just fine also leveled her…

79A6726B-D15E-49D0-8382-470DAA3CFB94.jpeg

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self
I got my base sport recently and got a great deal on it. I have yet to miss power windows and locks. I think percentage wise resale should be the same. I live in Florida and there is nothing off-road here that this won’t be just fine in. This was my first Jeep my plan was to get it make modest upgrades. Pay it off and maybe trade it in later while the value is still up and then decide if getting a fully loaded one makes sense. But I can tell you there is something cool about this base vehicle the I never lock the doors anyway and the crank windows are kinda cool my kids thought they were the coolest thing HAHA!! Also I think the Steeleies with some new tires look just fine also leveled her…

Jeep Gladiator Bare bones sport manual 79A6726B-D15E-49D0-8382-470DAA3CFB94
Thanks! The wheels and tires look great! Are those 285 70 17?

Rein89

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Did you test drive the two? I'm also a big manual transmission fan, and I just didn't like manual in the Gladiator. I ordered the auto based on my test drives and time spent with a rental I had a couple months ago.
Definitely test drive both back to back if you haven't, as they will ride differently.
Most others have hit on the points of features you will lose/gain with either model. Pick what works best for you and if both are on the lot now I'd choose sooner rather than later.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
@JamesM, what's the price - if we can ask? I get this is a bird-in-the-hand situation, but there are some great deals to be had if you have the patience to factory order. And the best dealer in that game (Gupton) is extremely close to you.

Invoice on a hardtop manual tow as you describe is about $34,500 plus destination, and Gupton can get you up to 8% off of that if you order and wait.

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self
@JamesM, what's the price - if we can ask? I get this is a bird-in-the-hand situation, but there are some great deals to be had if you have the patience to factory order. And the best dealer in that game (Gupton) is extremely close to you.

Invoice on a hardtop manual tow as you describe is about $34,500 plus destination, and Gupton can get you up to 8% off of that if you order and wait.
I just got back and the one I wanted has sold and another is in transit. I have not negotiated a price on the one in transit. Who should I contact at Gupton?

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Worrying about if you should pay more for something because of resale is like buying something because it was on sale.

I don't need this but it was on sale so I be a fool to pass up this deal.

I don't understand the logic of either.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
Have you considered the Willys Sport?

Clv22p

First Name
Chris