kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
This is a great post.

Nothing against the excellent auto, especially considering the superior towing numbers. But I don’t understand “you have to downshift and rev the manual” comments given the auto will likewise downshift like crazy when accelerating on the interstate. Downshifts with a manual have this implication of being harmful somehow, as if the engine ‘knows’ why it’s being asked to run at 4K rpm or whatever in one instance versus another…
People seem to want or expect more low rpm torque for the MT application, heck, I'd like that, but on a naturally aspirated gasoline engine, that takes long skinny cylinders with long crank throw, which pushes redline lower and often is wheezy at high rpms - which would be a bad match for A/T
Sponsored

Deleted member 30519

Gears are probably the difference maker. I'm running 5.13s with 38s and the jeep crawls in 2nd gear with no throttle or clutch. I would of stalled out in two seconds with my 3.73s. Shifting 3rd through 4th is a lot of fun especially with the pedal commander. Starting off in 2nd easy too. Rev hang is the only thing that sucks but I still wouldn't trade it for an Auto.

Sammar

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Teacher
Through out most of my teenage years and early 20s i was always told by experienced drivers that "High revs kill engines". I've since learned that may have been the case in old engines but is not the case today. I came frome snappy 4cyl engines so the 3.6L is awesome. I have decent luck with 5th at 60+ but i live in flat land. I'll hit 6th over 65. What i have found is that between 4th 5th and 6th there doesn't seem to be much of a gas mileage impact.
Spot on about the gas mileage difference. 2 hour drive on relatively flat highway, shifting between 4th and 5th, there was no difference in the instant fuel mileage. That has me hanging in 4th a little more since there is more power available there

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I had a 19 JLU with the manual transmission. It had just under 20,000 miles when I traded it. Never had a problem with the clutch even when towing a 3,000 pound travel trailer. These have a dual disk clutch setup. Gives more friction/clamping area with lighter springs and the type has been used in drag racing for years. Personally I think they are over engineered for the Jeep and a good old single disk setup with stiffer springs would have worked fine.

My JT is a base Sport with Max Tow. I specifically wanted the Max Tow for the HD axles with 4.10 gears, HD cooling, alternator, etc. Of course it has the auto but I have to say it's a very good transmission and does a great job of keeping the engine in it's happy place. I have no problem with the manual door locks and windows but admit unlocking the rear doors from the outside can be a PITA.

I kept mods light. Rubicon take-off wheels/tires and Mopar 2" lift for more ground clearance. Overland running boards for the wife and to protect the side of the Jeep and door hinges while off road. Flying gravel will start taking the paint off the door hinges pretty quick. I also did a Bullet spray-in bedliner, built a rail system with uni-strut and recently added a Fabtech short rack.

I'm pretty happy with my base Sport. The only thing I kinda wish it had was the 7" infotainment system.

20210509_132331 (Medium).jpg

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
Hey all, I am new to the forum- and about to pull the trigger on a gladiator purchase. I’ve negotiated a good deal on a bare-bones manual transmission sting gray Sport. No options at all except for the tow package (not Max tow since it’s manual transmission). The only other vehicle currently in stock that I like and believe I can negotiate a good deal on is a Mojave with no options, also manual. Almost $10k more. I really enjoy driving a stick shift and I’m limiting my search to those.

i’ve got a wife, two kids and a dog. Plan to use this as a family adventure vehicle for camping, mountain biking, trail use. I would enjoy doing some moderate iff roading but doubt it will get too extreme.

I am leaning strongly toward the sport. Advice? Is getting a stripped down vehicle going to hurt me in the long run on resale - especially as I add modifications?

If I do get the sport model, the first thing I will definitely do it’s either put bigger tires on the steelies or find a set of Rubicon take off wheels and tires.

I am going to make this decision soon so thanks in advance. Looking forward to being part of the community!
Mojave all day. You get so much more vehicle.

Sponsored

UM_Ftown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ
I had a 19 JLU with the manual transmission. It had just under 20,000 miles when I traded it. Never had a problem with the clutch even when towing a 3,000 pound travel trailer. These have a dual disk clutch setup. Gives more friction/clamping area with lighter springs and the type has been used in drag racing for years. Personally I think they are over engineered for the Jeep and a good old single disk setup with stiffer springs would have worked fine.

My JT is a base Sport with Max Tow. I specifically wanted the Max Tow for the HD axles with 4.10 gears, HD cooling, alternator, etc. Of course it has the auto but I have to say it's a very good transmission and does a great job of keeping the engine in it's happy place. I have no problem with the manual door locks and windows but admit unlocking the rear doors from the outside can be a PITA.

I kept mods light. Rubicon take-off wheels/tires and Mopar 2" lift for more ground clearance. Overland running boards for the wife and to protect the side of the Jeep and door hinges while off road. Flying gravel will start taking the paint off the door hinges pretty quick. I also did a Bullet spray-in bedliner, built a rail system with uni-strut and recently added a Fabtech short rack.

I'm pretty happy with my base Sport. The only thing I kinda wish it had was the 7" infotainment system.

Jeep Gladiator Bare bones sport manual 20210509_132331 (Medium)
You can easily upgrade to the 7” or 8.4” in these Jeep’s thankfully so that’s an option that I don’t necessarily need from the factory.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
You can easily upgrade to the 7” or 8.4” in these Jeep’s thankfully so that’s an option that I don’t necessarily need from the factory.
Yea, I put a 7" in my JLU. It worked fine but I didn't like the fact I had no volume or tuning knobs and had to use the steering wheel controls. I also didn't like that I couldn't mute, turn off the radio or otherwise blank the screen. I realize you can change the HVAC controls and program to correct some of that but I didn't feel like getting that far into it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I got a sport with the manual, the only gripes I have are the clutch feel and the lack of gearing from the factory, 4.10s should’ve been standard on all manuals IMO. I plan to deal with these by adding a center force clutch once they become available and then regearing. And maybe a super charger one day lol

I wanted to make it my own, I don’t plan on selling it but if I ever need to I should be alright.

Jeep Gladiator Bare bones sport manual 20210509_132331 (Medium)
I am in the break in period for my 5.13 gears for 37” tires (it awesome BTW)
And I just got some pics and tracking info for my very long awaited Centerforce clutch !

68009692-E4EE-4F41-991D-A7CC6B5AD9A4.jpeg

OP
OP
JamesM

JamesM

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Self
And I just got some pics and tracking info for my very long awaited Centerforce clutch !

Jeep Gladiator Bare bones sport manual 68009692-E4EE-4F41-991D-A7CC6B5AD9A4
Thanks! The truck looks great! I am also not a big fan of the stock clutch. Let me know centerforce and gearing works out. How it drives as well as the cost of purchase and install.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! The truck looks great! I am also not a big fan of the stock clutch. Let me know centerforce and gearing works out. How it drives as well as the cost of purchase and install.
Thanks! Will do

Sponsored

HomebrewJT

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator sport

Jeep Gladiator Bare bones sport manual 68009692-E4EE-4F41-991D-A7CC6B5AD9A4
What year is your Jeep? Tell me more about the gears lol. That’s everything I’m planning on!

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation