I have several things in my kit:

1. Quick clot dressing
2. tourniquet
3. kerlex dressing, guaze pads, ABD pads, etc
4. ace wraps
5. Scissors (trauma Shears)
6. Steri-strips, bandaids, mastisol
7. Sam-splint
8. Lukotape, mole skin, etc (blisters are probably the most common thing in the field) not life threatening, but being able to get one taken care of is a nice thing to be able to do.
9. betadine/alcohol etc. antiseptic suplies of some sort to clean a wound with. Clan water works well for washing out a wound but volume is key here.
10. information card (9-line medivac card and any other reference cards you might find helpful)
11. not in my kit but a reliable way to call for help (in reach, sat phone, radio, etc)
12. Airway (ball valve mask, nasal trumpet, etc)
13. consider a pharmacy of OTC meds (antidiarrheals, anti-histamines, NSAIDS, Tylenol, antacids like omeprazole, or TUMS, Aspirin, neosporin, vasaline, etc) you can treat a lot of stuff with this granted this is more for expeditions that may be out of civilization for a couple of days at a time. typically any illness that needs mor than this needs eval in a clinic of some sort so I don't typically carry prescription Rx meds.

Oh yeah, #14. an epipen would be a great thing to have in a group. especially if some one in your group has allergies and or a history of anaphylaxis.

There are more things I carry but most folks probably would not need/feel comfortable with. The key to success in a situation where a first aid kit is concerned is training. With that said you don't have to be a surgeon to take care of some one in the field. Any training that you can find is useful. The red cross has first aid courses you can go to, there are many others that specialize in wilderness medicine/survival situations. My point here is that some knowledge of what to do is as important as what you carry in your kit. Also you comfort level and skill level are going to dictate what you carry in your kit.

Hope this is helpful, it by no means is an exhaustive list, and I am sure others carry more stuff.
Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
The best advice is training. I spent 35 years as a EMT Paramedic get all the training you can. The best equipment is worthless if not used properly.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
lim looking into training - probably online to start and then in person if I still feel like there are major gaps. I intend to carry only those things I know how to use.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with that also.I just mean dont buy certain items as no name because often they are made cheaply or defective. Same goes for some knockoff stypic powders or bleed stoppers. You don't know what's in them
I bought Walmart bandaids once. Total failure.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have spent too many hours deciding on bag layout the past several days - which bag and how itā€™ll all go in. I cancelled the order on the hard case because it didnā€™t have good internal storage (though maybe I could fix that with some modification). And I received another bag but itā€™s garbage so itā€™s going back. Canā€™t decide between a sling or a traditional case (or maybe that hard case).

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely and do post pictures please, mounting, quality of the kit etc...
Ok! So in the end, I kind of pieces together a custom kit from various MyMedic bits and pieces. I used 2 Prevention kits on clearance, and a number of packs and mods. Then I found the retired MyFAK Large case (still used in the Construction Pro kit) on Amazon through another seller. All in, itā€™s more-or-less the equivalent of the MyFAK Large except $80 less.

I like this form factor because itā€™s thin enough to fit under the rear seat or I could mount it on a molle panel in the bed or possibly behind the driver seat if I choose to go that route.

I will probably do some light hacking to inside of the case to add Velcro so I can reuse some the the patches and pouches from inside the Prevention case. Just for added organization and so anybody besides me can still find things if Iā€™m the one on the ground.

I saved enough money that I may move all the trauma bits into a separate case and mount it to the front on the large case. That would (a) make it easier to find in an emergency and (b) make it modular if I just wanted to carry one or the other. I may also spring for a CAT tourniquet to replace the RATS.

One thing I realized is that MyMedic REALLY stuff their kits. Itā€™s practically so full that everything is squeezed in and hard to find anything. So I left out quite a few duplicate items to have a kit for my wifeā€™s vehicle based on the Prevention kit.

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit D595D957-A36B-4598-8F07-2E3F8AF0995F

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit 291A13E8-574E-4A88-8F29-E4966BCEBA38

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit 5816D674-0140-4800-BE34-34C70302DCDB

336mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Gladiator
I made my own with allot of the items @cutter1138 noted but he has some good things Iā€™m going to add to mine too. I also have a surgical kit with scalpels, stitches, etc for minor emergencies. Keep it all in an ammo can Iā€™ve been using since my ā€˜08 JK. I do cycle out items that expire so things are always fresh.

BC676C89-F45E-4732-B9FF-2F5D427E528C.jpeg

Miami

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Paramedic
The mymedic kits are actually pretty decent for the basics but do require a bit of modification for more advanced procedures. I can't remember what was original and what I've changed with mine but for more remote outings I tend to add on a lot based on my capabilities. IV start kits, saline bags, IV benadryl, epi, zofran, needles/syringes for IM injections, cric kit, bvm, chest vents, chest seals, Sam splints, etc. I've considered carrying a blade and etts but that would be too expensive to maintain I think.

As far as the things you'll most likely use, someone already said mole skin and band aids, sterile water/saline for flushing skin/eye injuries, splints and trauma tape, and gauze and kerlix to dress small bleeds and quick clot and abd pads for big bleeds, and dry burn dressings.

Someone mentioned earlier that even having something they may not be able to use can still turn out being useful is very correct. It's very frustrating being someplace without the needed item so I am eternally grateful when someone else has what I need in a critical situation.

Advntrbound

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Ok! So in the end, I kind of pieces together a custom kit from various MyMedic bits and pieces. I used 2 Prevention kits on clearance, and a number of packs and mods. Then I found the retired MyFAK Large case (still used in the Construction Pro kit) on Amazon through another seller. All in, itā€™s more-or-less the equivalent of the MyFAK Large except $80 less.

I like this form factor because itā€™s thin enough to fit under the rear seat or I could mount it on a molle panel in the bed or possibly behind the driver seat if I choose to go that route.

I will probably do some light hacking to inside of the case to add Velcro so I can reuse some the the patches and pouches from inside the Prevention case. Just for added organization and so anybody besides me can still find things if Iā€™m the one on the ground.

I saved enough money that I may move all the trauma bits into a separate case and mount it to the front on the large case. That would (a) make it easier to find in an emergency and (b) make it modular if I just wanted to carry one or the other. I may also spring for a CAT tourniquet to replace the RATS.

One thing I realized is that MyMedic REALLY stuff their kits. Itā€™s practically so full that everything is squeezed in and hard to find anything. So I left out quite a few duplicate items to have a kit for my wifeā€™s vehicle based on the Prevention kit.

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit BC676C89-F45E-4732-B9FF-2F5D427E528C

Get rid of that Rat and get a Cat tourniquet.
Medic for 16 years. I have taught Paramedic medic class for the past 3 and spent 4 years as a flight medic. My kit is basic. Small things to fix boo-boos, a way to stop bleeding and some simple splitting supplies.

Sponsored

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Get rid of that Rat and get a Cat tourniquet.
Medic for 16 years. I have taught Paramedic medic class for the past 3 and spent 4 years as a flight medic. My kit is basic. Small things to fix boo-boos, a way to stop bleeding and some simple splitting supplies.
I'd say add it, that RATS is useful for attaching stuff, I also like the hated basic elastic band style ones, as they can be used on my dog (or lids, which we don't have, but you never know). They can be misused for making some fun or useful items.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Is this thread going to become about the one who has the largest kit?

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here it is after adding the Velcro, straps, and patches I was talking about. I may add a bit more for extra storage in the in-between spaces, but this (a) allows for easier identification in a hurry and (b) keeps the fold-out pouches from flopping around when opening it so I can mount it vertically (such as on a molle panel) and open it without dismounting it.

I had to move the tourniquet back to the inside for space under the rear seat, but itā€™s strapped down with Velcro in an unused space. Itā€™s as easy as just ripping it off and removing it from its elastic sleeve. I really could just unzip just the first couple inches, reach in blindly, and my hand would be on it.

The bag is big after itā€™s been filled, but it still fits under the seat, if only barely.

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit BD7FF620-8584-4486-9B1D-BE1B29F77802

Jeep Gladiator Basic first aid kit 2135916E-0431-48C9-B3E7-39A756D63123

Last edited:

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Blowout kit and a constantly replenished boo boo kit, which is what I use all the time.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had enough left over to make a second, smaller one. Itā€™s mostly the MyMedic Prevention except Iā€™ve moved some items to the outside to make more room on the inside for other stuff, and then I gutted my another case to reuse some of the loops /pouches for even more stuff.

7374FC46-18C3-41BA-8CB0-7637DC4BE4B2.jpeg

B716444B-3C4A-4C14-89AF-42875D4DDD8E.jpeg
Sponsored