First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
Black Horse Rob should have stopped after saying " We do all we can to make things right when things aren't well." After seeing him say that he didn't want to help him, but he will, was a real turn off for me. I understand a company representative being upset with the way it was handled, but the company would have come out smelling like a rose instead of the inside of an outhouse. They will get no business from me. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 1968 VW Beetle
Occupation
IT Engineer
HI John,

Let me begin by saying I truly am sorry you are having an issue with one of our products. We absolutely do stand behind our products and have a warranty policy clearly stated on our web site. We do all we can to make things right when things aren't well.

Your first email to us was sent at 2:41 PM yesterday. Kevin responded to you in an attempt to gather more information at 12:33 PM today. It looks like you never called in to our office. Though we are generally quicker to reply to our inquiries, I believe this was a sufficient response time. I wish you would have given us a chance to make it right before trashing us on several sites including your personal blog. This is not generally a means getting a warranty honored. Personally, I don't want to help you... but I will.

Please go ahead and respond to Kevin's email, providing us with the photos and the original purchase receipt or invoice and we will go from there. Do not send us links to other sites where you have pictures posted. We don't care. If you truly want this covered, and we intend to cover it, please follow the process.... and really, it's an easy process. If you prefer to reply directly to me, you can do so. my email is [email protected]

Rob
Office Of The
Director of Stuff at Black Horse Off Road.

Email: [email protected]
www.blackhorseoffroad.com
Rob,
Thanks...there is a cap on image size that I can send via email...but I will try. As for trashing you, I don't think "
Be Cautious When Purchasing Black Horse Off Road Products
" is a trash...it's a warning...nobody wants to pay as much as they do for these products only to have them turn to rust in just a few months...and the several sites I posted these pics was my own personal website, my facebook page and my twitter page..that's all...I could've done more, but I didn't..I wanted to wait for a response...and the person who sent me a message via facebook seemed satisfied with the pics I sent via messenger, their response was " Thank you, they will contact you shortly".. anyhow, I'm not here to trash you or your product, just to make others aware. As you can see by the response of others, the issue is not limited to Black Horse Off Road products. I appreciate your reply, whether you want to help me or not. I can certainly chalk it up as a learning experience and share that experience with as many others as possible, be it positive or negative. I look forward to working with you in the future..

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
Sounds like the OP, jumped the gun so to speak. OP, pulled out the big guns way early and un-necessarily...

I don't find fault in @Black Horse Rob 's from the heart, raw response...

Of course, I'm a retired businessman and ... and well, will say no more. I'm glad someone got a hold of Rob and let him know of this forum thread..
I don't think so...again, I didn't trash Rob or Black Horse...just told people to be cautious...nobody wants to go through the process of purchasing these (expensive) items, installing them, wiring them, etc., only to have to do it again months later...if the shoe were on the other foot, I believe you'd see it differently...I honestly hope that we can get it worked out..I like the product, I don't like the craftsmanship of the product, I don't think it is "as advertised"..that's all....

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
Rob,
Thanks...there is a cap on image size that I can send via email...but I will try. As for trashing you, I don't think "
Be Cautious When Purchasing Black Horse Off Road Products
" is a trash...it's a warning...nobody wants to pay as much as they do for these products only to have them turn to rust in just a few months...and the several sites I posted these pics was my own personal website, my facebook page and my twitter page..that's all...I could've done more, but I didn't..I wanted to wait for a response...and the person who sent me a message via facebook seemed satisfied with the pics I sent via messenger, their response was " Thank you, they will contact you shortly".. anyhow, I'm not here to trash you or your product, just to make others aware. As you can see by the response of others, the issue is not limited to Black Horse Off Road products. I appreciate your reply, whether you want to help me or not. I can certainly chalk it up as a learning experience and share that experience with as many others as possible, be it positive or negative. I look forward to working with you in the future..
I am going to go ahead and say YTA here. These small companies live and die by reputation and no matter your intent this was unnecessary derogatory. You didn't even wait a reasonable amount of time for them to respond. Large companies, with full customer service departments don't even respond within 24hr, next time give them a break and wait 2-3 full days before escalating to social media, that's not too much to ask.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
I am going to go ahead and say YTA here. These small companies live and die by reputation and no matter your intent this was unnecessary derogatory. You didn't even wait a reasonable amount of time for them to respond. Large companies, with full customer service departments don't even respond within 24hr, next time give them a break and wait 2-3 full days before escalating to social media, that's not too much to ask.
The post was a warning about the quality of the product, not whether or not they'd replace it...even if they'd responded 5 minutes after I contacted them, people still deserve to know what they're buying.... :)

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
@HouseofBoyd

You have a product with issues. Just because that single product offering had / has issues does not mean all the product coming out of that business is problematic. Yes, maybe but probably not..

You, OP, jumped the gun so to speak. you pulled out the big guns way early and un-necessarily...

Consider the impact on this small business.. you did not even give them/him a chance to address your problem before you began to spew....

My last comment on this.. anyway, You were wrong in my mind... NOW, had the company not helped you, I would have been on your side... this was obviously not the case...
Again, the post was a warning about the quality of the product, not whether or not they'd replace it...even if they'd responded 5 minutes after I contacted them, people still deserve to know what they're buying.... :)

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Small companies thrive on positive online reviews and such. Take products on Amazon, most people are more likely to buy the product with thousands of positive reviews over the one with 5. Similarly, they are easily harmed by negative reviews. In my opinion, the OP didn't really give the company a chance before leaving a negative review about them on this public forum. People aren't going to read into the context of this thread, they will look at the first post, maybe a couple down and already decide that they won't order from them.

I think it's good to share your experiences with products, both good and bad, but I think people need to be more patient about getting something resolved. The OP frames this as a warning to people about the quality of their products based off one experience with a single product. If Black Horse came back and told the OP to go pound sand, then absolutely, come here, show the product, and share the experience.

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
Small companies thrive on positive online reviews and such. Take products on Amazon, most people are more likely to buy the product with thousands of positive reviews over the one with 5. Similarly, they are easily harmed by negative reviews. In my opinion, the OP didn't really give the company a chance before leaving a negative review about them on this public forum. People aren't going to read into the context of this thread, they will look at the first post, maybe a couple down and already decide that they won't order from them.

I think it's good to share your experiences with products, both good and bad, but I think people need to be more patient about getting something resolved. The OP frames this as a warning to people about the quality of their products based off one experience with a single product. If Black Horse came back and told the OP to go pound sand, then absolutely, come here, show the product, and share the experience.
I agree 100%. I hope that I can post a positive experience concerning my dealings with Black Horse. The post is about the product that I purchase. The purchase has already been done, the outcome hasn't.

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
Never had a rust issue out of anything I've bought rugged Ridge wise, at least in the past 6yrs. Can't say before that. I ran a rugged ridge rear bumper on my JKU for over 5yrs with almost no rust.

I'll say this as far as powder coating goes, around my area you can have pretty much anything powder coated for $200 or less, and a lot of times if you take them a number of things and they want charge you much more or anything at all to do them. That's prep work and powder coating. I just called the dude I know who's done stuff for me about doing the Badlands Fairlead on my bumper and he told me $40 and I asked about the winch hook as well because it's showing signs of rust and he told me he would do both for $50. If your paying a ton of money for something then I guess I would expect the finishes to be nice but when they are on the cheaper side then you got to weigh your options on if it's worth buying and then having it powder coated if you need to. In my experience blackhorse stuff is normally on the budget side of things.

I'm 100% not saying you shouldn't be upset about it though.
I hear you man, no doubt people are happy with their products. But personally, seeing the quality inconsistency over many years, and the fact that I can afford to support companies that don’t export their labor, I choose to go the made in USA route.

But honestly, I don’t judge someone at all if they buy SB or RR, whether it’s finances, or utility, or whatever. It doesn’t matter. That’s just my preference.

On a thread-related note, nice pretentious reply from the manufacturer. That’s the thing that turns me off from a brand more than a qc issue.

Sponsored

HjStrater

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Operations
Vehicle Showcase
The post was a warning about the quality of the product, not whether or not they'd replace it...even if they'd responded 5 minutes after I contacted them, people still deserve to know what they're buying.... :)
But its not about the quality of the product. Its about your singular issue, that is covered under warranty and could be a complete fluke and not indicative at all of the quality of their product.

As a consumer you should expect to draw the short straw every once in awhile and wind up with a product requiring warranty support. No manufacturer is anywhere close to perfect, so when it happens give them a chance to make it right. If after that they burn you, by all means what you wrote is justified. Until then your just whining.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well blackhorse has got a customer here if I need something. Way to keep it real @Black Horse Rob, some people think they can just bash a company and get away with it on forums like this but you stood your ground, that's check mark for me and sounds like your still willing to make it right, sounds like good customer service to me.

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
But its not about the quality of the product. Its about your singular issue, that is covered under warranty and could be a complete fluke and not indicative at all of the quality of their product.

As a consumer you should expect to draw the short straw every once in awhile and wind up with a product requiring warranty support. No manufacturer is anywhere close to perfect, so when it happens give them a chance to make it right. If after that they burn you, by all means what you wrote is justified. Until then your just whining.
Really? It's all about the quality of the product! As a consumer, I expect to get what I paid for. And I am giving them a chance to make it right...Where did I say, "Don't buy from this company"? I'm warning others who may be interested in this product to be cautious...it may not be what they expect...that's all. No whining, just warning...as I said, I love the the look of the product, I don't like the quality of the product. I wouldn't tell you or anybody else not to purchase from Black Horse, but I would warn about purchasing this particular product.

OP
OP
HouseofBoyd

HouseofBoyd

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kentuckyhotwheels.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Engineer
Well blackhorse has got a customer here if I need something. Way to keep it real @Black Horse Rob, some people think they can just bash a company and get away with it on forums like this but you stood your ground, that's check mark for me and sounds like your still willing to make it right, sounds like good customer service to me.
Didn't say not to purchase from Black Horse...only warned about this particular product..

Bulldog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon 2018 JLU Rubicon wife’s ride
Occupation
Smitty/land lord
Does anyone know what the best kind of touch up paint to fill in powder coated chips or rust? I have a set of iron cross side steps that are gonna need some serious attention come spring time. Its sad to say they are only 8 months old.
I would use a product we use in welding it’s called OSPHO, I’m not sure how it works I believe it’s something on a molecular scale, just wipe it on let it set overnight and then paint or whatever you choose.
Sponsored