Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Good plan, I could cook on my topper, what helps on the hardtop is I've got 2 100w panel mounted on roof bars with few inches of air gap. I might need to do something similar on topper. 🤔 I darn sure know 3m cable tabs keep coming off inside due to heating and cooling cycles.
I have the same problem with heat in the cap here. I put a set of the under rail LED lights on the ceiling of my RSI cap. It got hot enough over the summer that it eventually separated the 3M adhesive tape from the lights. The 3M cable tabs I used to zip tie the wires also all fell off.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I’m still not convinced a 4-dr 1st gen Taco or Colorado won’t do the trick. Has anyone had a chance to lay a tape on one?

Batlou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Constultant
I went with the Alu-Cab over the RSI. The Alu-Cab is all aluminum vs steel, weighs about 40lbs less and 1 piece vs modular. Watched a few videos of the RSI that had leaking issues or the entire cab had to be disassembled and removed to replace all of the gaskets as part of regular maintenance. That was a no go for me.

Jeep Gladiator Bed cap ideas 304792232_10160010932509491_5991710803460531481_n

Last edited:

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
I went with the RLD Steel one piece top. I too was concerned about the multi piece.

Have had the RLD on my 21 Mojave since last summer and have been very happy. Lined the inside of top with Reflectix attached with small bolts in the interior channels, and a few strategically placed magnets. Three cargo rails on top that can hold gear/tarps up top and also block sun have been added since the below photo.. Also bought two solar panels to mount on top which will shield sun. But I really like the film installed by "dcmdon," and may add that.

I like the steel top, as I am able to use magnets to attach gear. I have a tent enclosure for the rear that mounts on my cargo slide and attaches around rear of canopy with magnets. Works great for an easy set-up/take down.

I also use magnets to hold mosquito net to cover inside of hatches when I want to open for fresh air.

Camper Side.jpg

NotSo Bright White

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR DIESEL
Occupation
Retire Fireman
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for Harker Outdoor EDC. I did upgrade with solar, windows, and a bike rack but the best upgrade was the Bed Rug. My knees were very appreciative!
Jeep Gladiator Bed cap ideas FE9A6D17-9C5D-447F-B9E1-7461071D965F

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other suggestion for those looking to reduce inside temps.

The RSI has a screw holes running down each side of the ceiling intended to be used with the picnic table. I plan to use those holes to hold insulation up in the ceiling.

First I'll cut some pieces of 1" foam that fit tight between ceiling crossmembers.
Then I'll glue a large sheet to a piece of luan or other thin kind of fiber board.
Then I'll apply some white contact paper on the Luan to brighten up the inside.
Then I'll bolt the assembly to the ceiling to provide further insulation against heat.

This has the added benefit of keeping the inside of the truck warmer in the winter and preventing condensation on the ceiling if you keep a dog in there or sleep inside overnight.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Depends on your intended use?

I like to camp but I’m not out every weekend so I went with an ARE CX Classic mostly to protect the gear. I still use a ground tent.
Jeep Gladiator Bed cap ideas 72D6B803-E225-42A9-9022-76D245322C4D

Jeep Gladiator Bed cap ideas 60D0BD13-0EC1-4FC5-A150-B49B9D65696C

It’s organized chaos but it works…mostly with minimal hassle…for what I can afford.

TexasOverlander

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave, 97 TJ Sahara, 19 Cherokee Ltd
Occupation
Just Jeeping Along !!
"Then I'll apply some white contact paper on the Luan to brighten up the inside.
Then I'll bolt the assembly to the ceiling to provide further insulation against heat.

This has the added benefit of keeping the inside of the truck warmer in the winter and preventing condensation on the ceiling if you keep a dog in there or sleep inside overnight."

Agree. Anything light colored helps. Installed reflectix after a couple trips,, and it really brightened up my interior. It did keep the condensation off on cold nights over the winter when I camped without the tent and kept rear hatch closed. I also have a piece rolled ( about 24"x96") that I tuck between side hatch and my bed frame and wrap end around head area that helps insulate. Before my roof rails were installed, in sunny areas, I placed a couple of bags on top and draped a tarp to shade the black canopy top ( helped a lot on trips to Death Valley, the Mojave Desert and AZ over the last year !)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same problem with heat in the cap here. I put a set of the under rail LED lights on the ceiling of my RSI cap. It got hot enough over the summer that it eventually separated the 3M adhesive tape from the lights. The 3M cable tabs I used to zip tie the wires also all fell off.
The LED lights haven't came loose yet on mine but the tabs I used to hold the wiring is and does. :like:
I've got the RLD topper and "made" roof bars and track with U-strut, so if I have the RTT on the heats not as bad..... but I live in the south too. ;) black topper not a top color choice.

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I’m still not convinced a 4-dr 1st gen Taco or Colorado won’t do the trick. Has anyone had a chance to lay a tape on one?
I don't have a topper yet, but my tonneau cover is one for a colorado and it fits perfect, the back bed corners are a slight different shape but it was available at the time and ended up being cheaper. I agree it would work.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Bumping this thread, has anyone been able to figure out what existing (aluminum) shell would work? I only need a cap part-time & Refuse to pay what they are asking for the pretty ones.

OP
OP
Joey_espo

Joey_espo

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
so many nice ones but now I am more hesitant, the rsi was my fav but I don't like the multiple pieces aspect. the are painted might be my top so far....

Rick Fremaux

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2001 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Yukon 4WD
Occupation
Retired Academic Physician
I have the tri fold hard cover but now want a cap. Looks like rsi is having a giveaway but won’t hold my breadth on that lol… don’t like the racks and want a hard cover, I haven’t seen many direct for options …and I don’t want to be that guy like the one I saw below…

https://swee.ps/cdJTRN_gJCPnlm

Jeep Gladiator Bed cap ideas IMG_1428
Be informed that the switch from. cover to “bed cap” seriously impairs driver vision in multiple directions. I hated mine, and took it off.
Sponsored