First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I talked to my engineer buddy at Jeep. It "supposed" to be the same light as in the Ram......... But its clerarly not.
Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Oh thatā€™s not right... you press the lens like you do on cars with lights on the overhead console. The lens is the switch!
Does anyone actually have lights that work this way? Mine donā€™t. Mine come on when the doors open or when I press the dash switch, but thatā€™s it.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
It appears, and is most likely that the original plan is in the owner manual, and the training for dealers - push the the light to turn 'em on. Just like for years you have pushed the interior lights to turn them on - there's not a switch for them. It's a lot cheaper and easier to wire and assemble in the factory for one thing - rather than extra wires and connectors and additional parts. Push to turn on lights have been around and used in cars and trucks for decades - why not use them there? That would make them sealed, as opposed to yet another switch to wire and certify.

See the original post - I'll bet that's the original plans. Otherwise it most likely wouldn't be in the book.
I'd like to know what revision of the owner manual the OP had/has, compared to other revisions. There are at least 3 revisions, maybe 4.
I have rev2 and rev3 but haven't looked to compare.
I drove over to the dealer and the 2019-20 Ram trucks have the same lights and operate the same as the Gladiator, they operate from the dash same as Gladiator or will come on for a minute when doors are unlocked.

According to the tech that i spoke to the original plan was for a switch but power is only supplied to the rear when the dash button is pushed so the purpose of a switch in the bed was mute without the dash button always on.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Does anyone actually have lights that work this way? Mine donā€™t. Mine come on when the doors open or when I press the dash switch, but thatā€™s it.
Not original. Dash switch has to be pushed to get power to the rear lights.

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Hope they figure it a fox and recall it what a pain I love how every time I open my door the light for the bed comes on just to tease me that until I get to my cargo it will hand light lmao I hope aftermarket catches up soon what a huge miss in FCA

Sponsored

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Oh thatā€™s not right... you press the lens like you do on cars with lights on the overhead console. The lens is the switch!
Go to Auto Zone for a quart of pneumatic fluid if the system requires top off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Go to Auto Zone for a quart of pneumatic fluid if the system requires top off.
Don't screw up and put blinker fluid in other the thing will strobe on you and drive you nuts.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m going to take mine into the dealership show them the manual and hope the service guy or girl spends about as much time confused as I was
Funny thing - I was planning on the same thing - and telling them that I expect them to fix it since the book says this is how it was supposed to operate and the sales guy even said it was supposed to operate by pushing on the bottom of the light itself.
Will see what happens.
The book is very very clear - you push the light to turn it on.
The dealer opened the tail gate to show me how the lights operate and pushed on the light and was confused - he said "well, they are supposed to come on, don't know what's going on" and he walked up front to turn them on.
So - two sources say they are supposed to work that way - and since the book says, LOL - will be fun to get a reaction if nothing else. Let 'em know even Jeep people notice stuff like that.
Don't expect a fix (although it would be nice), I just want a reaction. And to see if anyone else has brought it up before.

Sponsored

Jellygladiator

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
retired
Funny thing - I was planning on the same thing - and telling them that I expect them to fix it since the book says this is how it was supposed to operate and the sales guy even said it was supposed to operate by pushing on the bottom of the light itself.
Will see what happens.
The book is very very clear - you push the light to turn it on.
The dealer opened the tail gate to show me how the lights operate and pushed on the light and was confused - he said "well, they are supposed to come on, don't know what's going on" and he walked up front to turn them on.
So - two sources say they are supposed to work that way - and since the book says, LOL - will be fun to get a reaction if nothing else. Let 'em know even Jeep people notice stuff like that.
Don't expect a fix (although it would be nice), I just want a reaction. And to see if anyone else has brought it up before.
Oh man letā€™s organize a mass take back day lmao could you imagine if we all went to the dealerships on saw day for this lmao whose game ???

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Someone should shine a light on this problem.
Hopefully to illuminate the issue.
Thereby bringing us all out of the dark...
;)

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)